Ip Help

Data that travels over the air and how to protect (or decipher) it

Re: Ip Help

Post by -Ninjex- on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:36 am
([msg=71994]see Re: Ip Help[/msg])

WallShadow wrote:But as a serious question, how long would you say that a dynamic IP wouldn't change if I had a constant connection?


I'm not sure about your ISP and router, but I can go into my router settings and there is an option to set how many hours, days, weeks, etc that I want it to change.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
^(-.^)>
User avatar
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Ip Help

Post by fashizzlepop on Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:51 pm
([msg=72008]see Re: Ip Help[/msg])

Ninjex, you sure that's not just the lease time of your internal IPs?

As for how long it lasts with a constant connection, it could be unlimited or it could be a week. Depends on your isp and if they force refreshes on you often. Probably closer to months. Even with a connection that drops out a lot you might be surprised how long you keep the same ip.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
User avatar
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer
 
Posts: 2303
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 1:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Ip Help

Post by -Ninjex- on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:54 pm
([msg=72009]see Re: Ip Help[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:Ninjex, you sure that's not just the lease time of your internal IPs?

As for how long it lasts with a constant connection, it could be unlimited or it could be a week. Depends on your isp and if they force refreshes on you often. Probably closer to months. Even with a connection that drops out a lot you might be surprised how long you keep the same ip.


No, my external IP would switch around every hour. I noticed this as me and my friend would scan IP's on xbox and do DDoS attacks for fun when I was learning (I was so mean) and he knocked me offline more than a few times because of the IP changing.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
^(-.^)>
User avatar
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Ip Help

Post by weekend hacker on Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:17 am
([msg=72025]see Re: Ip Help[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:Ninjex, you sure that's not just the lease time of your internal IPs?

As for how long it lasts with a constant connection, it could be unlimited or it could be a week. Depends on your isp and if they force refreshes on you often. Probably closer to months. Even with a connection that drops out a lot you might be surprised how long you keep the same ip.

(A)DSL modems tend to have a setting for the external part too. Mine was set to 36hours for many years but I have no idea what I'm using now.. the new modem gives my ISP way more control.
Silly random fact: my previous modem by default came with a time of just a few minutes.. needles to say connectivity was shite and the firmware was some branded version of the ISP and it didn't allow you to change those settings. But luckily you could "save and download" the modem config, which was in the form of a .ini file then find the param and change it. Then load it back up.

WallShadow wrote:Router goes down near daily here, bad connectivity. But as a serious question, how long would you say that a dynamic IP wouldn't change if I had a constant connection?

If you had a constant connection then it wouldn't change at all. To change IP the connection needs to go down.
Although if you're just using http or other protocols that don't require you to keep an active connection then you may not even notice it. But if you're for instance on an irc server, if you never ever ever seem to disconnect from it due to network issues then you're also never ever ever getting a new IP.
(the logic here is simple, how can TCP possibly know where to send your packets if you're no longer at the same address)
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
User avatar
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:39 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Ip Help

Post by Kataclysmic on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:56 am
([msg=77839]see Re: Ip Help[/msg])

WallShadow wrote:Router goes down near daily here, bad connectivity. But as a serious question, how long would you say that a dynamic IP wouldn't change if I had a constant connection?

Weeks to even months or years. However my ISP says you should power cycle once ever three days to retain a good connection.
http://lawofcode.com
What will you learn?
Kataclysmic
New User
New User
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:15 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Ip Help

Post by hellow533 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:55 am
([msg=77840]see Re: Ip Help[/msg])

Kataclysmic wrote:
WallShadow wrote:Router goes down near daily here, bad connectivity. But as a serious question, how long would you say that a dynamic IP wouldn't change if I had a constant connection?

Weeks to even months or years. However my ISP says you should power cycle once ever three days to retain a good connection.


Strong necro.

Inb4 cent.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
User avatar
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Previous

Return to Networking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests