ARP Help?

Data that travels over the air and how to protect (or decipher) it

ARP Help?

Post by I liek Trees on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:18 pm
([msg=58574]see ARP Help?[/msg])

Hey everyone.

I've been learning a lot about hacking over the past few weeks, and I decided to give it a try. I downloaded Cain from Oxid, and I started messing around with the ARP and sniffer. I am able to run my sniffer and the ARP tool, and I can see that I am poisoning the connection between the router and my other computer, but I have 2 problems.

First, when I start poisoning the connection, I end up DOS'ing my other computer, meaning I am unable to sniff any passwords since it isn't sending any. How can I set my computer up to route the packets from the router to the target computer so it maintains an internet connection?

Second, I have a 1397 WLAN Mini-card. I'm not sure if this wireless card supports promiscuous mode, and google isn't answering my question. Does anyone know if my card supports promiscuous mode, and if it does, how can I configure it to accept packets sent to other MAC addresses rather than just packets sent to it?
I liek Trees
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: ARP Help?

Post by Goatboy on Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:46 am
([msg=58590]see Re: ARP Help?[/msg])

The ARP problem seems more like C&A is only poisoning in one direction. This is weird, because I am pretty sure it is supposed to poison in both. It could be that your router or other comp has some anti-poisoning protection, but I doubt this.

As for the wifi card, you can download Wireshark and use it to check. That or aircrack-ng if you have a linux box lying around.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Vulpine on Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:00 am
([msg=58599]see Re: ARP Help?[/msg])

That's a generic Dell card. My Inspiron has one and Wireshark works just fine for packet sniffing. You should be in good shape.
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Post by ampakine on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:55 am
([msg=59845]see Re: ARP Help?[/msg])

I've never used cain but ettercap does 2-way ARP poisonings without causing DoS.
ampakine
Experienced User
Experienced User

Return to Networking