Pinging - How to prevent it

Data that travels over the air and how to protect (or decipher) it

Pinging - How to prevent it

Post by iistapp on Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:37 pm
([msg=56665]see Pinging - How to prevent it[/msg])

Hey people of HTS!

I play this game, and I have a feeling someone is pinging me, because now and then I get some serious amount of lag in-game, is this possible to do against a simple computer like you have at home?

If so, how would I prevent it? Is there a way to log the pings and their IP so I can report it to my ISP or something?
iistapp
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Pinging - How to prevent it

Post by Goatboy on Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:09 am
([msg=56669]see Re: Pinging - How to prevent it[/msg])

I can't imagine a modern scenario in which a simple ping attack would work. If you're playing online games, you almost certainly have enough bandwidth to deal with even a dedicated attacker on a similar line. Besides, ping attacks are old. Very old. It's more than likely a problem with the game itself or the server.

However if you want to block pings, you can probably find an option in your router to do it. Barring that, Google how to add a rule to your firewall to block pings.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by iistapp on Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:19 am
([msg=56687]see Re: Pinging - How to prevent it[/msg])

Well it must be something, because It's not my bandwith or anything that can cause it, and it happens only when of course, some guys from the "opposite team" comes and kill me, I end up being "stuck" because of some heavy lag sort of thing, and I can't heal or barely move so I'm dead in no time.

So what else do you believe it to be?
iistapp
Poster
Poster

Post by sanddbox on Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:44 pm
([msg=56698]see Re: Pinging - How to prevent it[/msg])

iistapp wrote:Well it must be something, because It's not my bandwith or anything that can cause it, and it happens only when of course, some guys from the "opposite team" comes and kill me, I end up being "stuck" because of some heavy lag sort of thing, and I can't heal or barely move so I'm dead in no time.

So what else do you believe it to be?

Most likely it's just server lag. Regardless, as Goatboy said, a simple ping attack will do nothing to cause you to lag. A DoS would, but is very unlikely seeing as how it sounds like it happens multiple different times with different players.

TL;DR: 99% chance it's the game server (or your computer) lagging).

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by iistapp on Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:17 am
([msg=56709]see Re: Pinging - How to prevent it[/msg])

Alrighty, thanks a lot! :) So, if I am being DoS'ed, is there also a way to prevent this with a rule in my firewall?

My router is a little out of date, so I don't think I have access to block pings with it ;p

Might be my router? ;o
iistapp
Poster
Poster

Post by Spectre557 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:11 pm
([msg=56719]see Re: Pinging - How to prevent it[/msg])

I've had a load of headaches in the past with games and network/lag problems of all sorts. I'd say your best bet would be to search for others who've had the same problem. Depending on the game, there could be any number of obscure ways to fix it if it's a known issue.

If you get the same sort of lag when playing other games online, then you might want to try using a wired connection to your router (assuming you're using wireless) and/or other general stuff like that - this fixed a similar lag problem for me on Battlefield 2 a few years ago.
Current obsession: Minecraft
Spectre557
Poster
Poster

Post by iistapp on Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:09 pm
([msg=56721]see Re: Pinging - How to prevent it[/msg])

As I'm not ashamed and in love with this game I'll be a man and tell you, it's and old game called Tibia, made in 1995 or so.
I'm not the only person having this problem, I've been in some wars, and when we get a chance to own, they start DoS'ing or whatever they are doing, as they have obtained our IP somehow, might be from forums, maybe teamspeak/ventrilo, I don't know.

So if it is a possibility to log this in any way, could I contact my ISP and have them take legal action in some way?

I'm on cable, can't stand wireless when it comes to online games, that always ends up with something going wrong, so they honestly have to be doing something..
iistapp
Poster
Poster

Post by Spectre557 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:39 am
([msg=56732]see Re: Pinging - How to prevent it[/msg])

If you're sure you're being DoSed, have a look at your firewall/router connection log and see if there's anything suspicious. Although I think it's probably unlikely that that's what's causing the lag.
Current obsession: Minecraft
Spectre557
Poster
Poster

Post by iistapp on Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:02 am
([msg=56734]see Re: Pinging - How to prevent it[/msg])

Thanks, Ill do that once I get home!
Then see if there is anything, and if there is, what can I do about it?
iistapp
Poster
Poster

Post by Dwere134 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:29 pm
([msg=56743]see Re: Pinging - How to prevent it[/msg])

I'm not trying to completely oust the idea of you being targeted in an attack. But a game that old - I've never played it I can't be sure - is likely not going to have script kiddies in it who want to take enough time to dos attack you. It's an old game, your router is old, there's probably just a glitch that causes certain events in the game to go slower or freeze up. Barring that, if it is a legitimate attack, then the previous suggestions, of blocking ping, and other known dos attacks with a rule on your firewall/router whatever it is you're using for security. And if you are able to obtain the mac address/ip address of the attacker(s) then you could probably report the issue to your ISP or local authorities as well, though it's not guaranteed to cause any kind of legal action to be taken against them. It's a video game, you aren't being incurred any monetary damages from it, nor is anybody in any physical harm, so chances are slim that reporting it will do much. Good luck though!
Keep us updated.
Dwere (David)
Goatboy wrote:
Dwere wrote:I'm not one to start some branch of religion though. Not my thing.

Of course if you wanted to, you could call it the Davidians!
Dwere134
Experienced User
Experienced User

Next

Return to Networking