LAN IP's

Data that travels over the air and how to protect (or decipher) it

Re: LAN IP's

Post by Phantom Wolf on Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:59 pm
([msg=55256]see Re: LAN IP's[/msg])

Assassian360 wrote:When I want connceted IPs on the windows command line I just use:
Code: Select all
arp -a

That's only going to work if your computer has made contact with every computer on the local network. ARP requests don't go out until they're needed.

I still think going to your router's configuration is the best idea, but some routers only list DHCP clients.
jgreen45 wrote:Yeah, that would work also, but the reason I only went to 99 is that I doubt that the OP has more than 99 computers on his network, and so searching the whole 255 addresses would be pointless.

Yeah, but there could be computers on his network using higher addresses regardless. For example, just because 192.168.2.2 is open, that doesn't mean that a computer might take 192.168.2.150.
"Well it isn't my fault. I shouldn't have been allowed to do something to crash it." "No, you shouldn't have been allowed to buy a computer in the first place"
Phantom Wolf
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by mShred on Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:04 pm
([msg=55257]see Re: LAN IP's[/msg])

Phantom Wolf wrote:Yeah, but there could be computers on his network using higher addresses regardless. For example, just because 192.168.2.2 is open, that doesn't mean that a computer might take 192.168.2.150.

Really? Why wouldn't the computer just take that first one. I've never heard of it not. But i suppose you learn something new every day.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by Phantom Wolf on Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:13 pm
([msg=55258]see Re: LAN IP's[/msg])

mShred wrote:Really? Why wouldn't the computer just take that first one. I've never heard of it not. But i suppose you learn something new every day.

Well, if there's clients that don't have/want to use DHCP for some reason, they may take a high address to lessen the risk of 'stealing' someones IP. Some DHCP servers won't re-lease addresses for a very long time, causing it to give out high addresses even though the lower ones are free.

Also, I've heard of people configuring their clients to turn down the first few addresses. Some servers will completely abandon an address if it gets turned down, so someone looking to cause problems can exhaust a server's address space.

However, they almost always take the first one.
"Well it isn't my fault. I shouldn't have been allowed to do something to crash it." "No, you shouldn't have been allowed to buy a computer in the first place"
Phantom Wolf
Poster
Poster

Post by RevengeDriven on Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:37 am
([msg=55609]see Re: LAN IP's[/msg])

Are you using XP? Why not use Look@LAN? It works only with XP and not Vista but will tell you what DHCP clients are logged online, their distance, their hostname and other useful things.
http://web.volftp.tiscali.it/pub/pc/windows/win98/progs/network/tcpip/lalsetup250.exe
RevengeDriven
New User
New User

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:08 pm
([msg=55612]see Re: LAN IP's[/msg])

nmap -sP 192.168.1.* is the way to go. Check you default gateway as the 1 may be a 2.

It will list them all nice and neat.

Well, if there's clients that don't have/want to use DHCP for some reason, they may take a high address to lessen the risk of 'stealing' someones IP. Some DHCP servers won't re-lease addresses for a very long time, causing it to give out high addresses even though the lower ones are free.

Personally I use the first few available IP's for which ever device happens to turn on and choose one. For my development server I purposely make a static IP over the .100 range. No real reason, just a convention I like to use with static ip's.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by mango_leech on Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:06 pm
([msg=56089]see Re: LAN IP's[/msg])

For Ping Sweeping apart from awesome "nmap" you can try "fping" too....
For Example :: In a typical LAN following does a Ping Sweep
fping -a -g 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.254 2>/dev/null

For a LAN using mainly Windows Network can try "nbtscan" to query the NetBios Name service

nbtscan  192.168.1.1-254 

Hope it helps!
mango_leech
New User
New User

Previous

Return to Networking