Help beating my bro in a network race!

Data that travels over the air and how to protect (or decipher) it

Help beating my bro in a network race!

Post by Pandana on Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:08 pm
([msg=49478]see Help beating my bro in a network race![/msg])

first off, i believe this to be the right place to post if not please inform me so i may fix it.

Ok. Me and my brother have challenged each other to see who can crack into the other's computer first and change the desktop back ground using only the network that we are both connected to. We have agreed that we can use what ever the internet can provide us with the exception of brute forcer's. So! I've come the HTS where i know i can find the help i need for i am not nearly as good as he is. I am not asking for answers just a point in the right direction because i want to learn not cheat.

Here is the limited information i know about his setup

Windows 7 Ult.
Avast anti virus
remote desktop and file sharing is turned off

im sorry i dont have much information im still new to the hacking/cracking scene.
Pandana
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Help beating my bro in a network race!

Post by Goatboy on Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:16 pm
([msg=49479]see Re: Help beating my bro in a network race![/msg])

I'm going to give you the best piece of advice you'll get in this thread, I guarantee it:

Don't waste your time. Hacking in real life is not like it is in the movies. You don't just get an IP, type in a few commands, and instantly get in. Instead of trying to do something foolish to prove how 1337 you are, you should learn how things actually work. Spend some time on this site doing the missions. Google when you get stuck, then ask questions once you're REALLY stuck. I promise you'll come out better by doing this than you would if you had spent countless hours banging your head against your desk trying to change his desktop background.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Pandana on Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:30 pm
([msg=49481]see Re: Help beating my bro in a network race![/msg])

Goatboy wrote:I'm going to give you the best piece of advice you'll get in this thread, I guarantee it:

Don't waste your time. Hacking in real life is not like it is in the movies. You don't just get an IP, type in a few commands, and instantly get in. Instead of trying to do something foolish to prove how 1337 you are, you should learn how things actually work. Spend some time on this site doing the missions. Google when you get stuck, then ask questions once you're REALLY stuck. I promise you'll come out better by doing this than you would if you had spent countless hours banging your head against your desk trying to change his desktop background.

im sorry to have come off as a script kiddy. im not trying to be L337 and i am trying to learn, ive started the missions and am currently on basic mission 7 im only trying to find a helping hand. I've read a few of your posts as well but i guess ill just keep looking
Pandana
New User
New User

Post by msbachman on Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:33 pm
([msg=49482]see Re: Help beating my bro in a network race![/msg])

I'd snag the latest alt. version of Ubuntu, overwrite Windows, encrypt the drive, configure iptables to deny everything except for pings, and then just sit there and wait for my opponent to give up.
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Pandana on Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:36 pm
([msg=49483]see Re: Help beating my bro in a network race![/msg])

msbachman wrote:I'd snag the latest alt. version of Ubuntu, overwrite Windows, encrypt the drive, configure iptables to deny everything except for pings, and then just sit there and wait for my opponent to give up.

thank you this was some of the help i was looking for...instead of telling me to use Google you have given me keywords to search in Google and decide on my own if this is indeed what i am looking for. this sound like it will just lag/drop his connection am i right?

Edit: wait no. i read it wrong....i am indeed lost
Pandana
New User
New User

Post by Assassian360 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:37 pm
([msg=49484]see Re: Help beating my bro in a network race![/msg])

msbachman wrote:I'd snag the latest alt. version of Ubuntu, overwrite Windows, encrypt the drive, configure iptables to deny everything except for pings, and then just sit there and wait for my opponent to give up.

Haha, you're feeling cruel today msbachman...
Assassian360
Poster
Poster

Post by msbachman on Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:58 pm
([msg=49485]see Re: Help beating my bro in a network race![/msg])

Pandana wrote:

thank you this was some of the help i was looking for...instead of telling me to use Google you have given me keywords to search in Google and decide on my own if this is indeed what i am looking for. this sound like it will just lag/drop his connection am i right?

Yeah those are all defenses.

1) Ubuntu: Linux, so any attack ideas he had for a windows system, he'll have to throw them out of the window.
2) Encrypted drive: if he gets frustrated and tries to pop in a live cd to change your background, he'll be fucked because the drive is encrypted
3) iptables: if this dude doesn't realize it's a long shot yet he'll be able to ping the system but nothing else. Lol, I pretty much guarantee you this will annoy the piss out of him.

After you get that up and running, hop on your xbox and play Black Ops for...well, six weeks or so. Check back in on how he's progressing then in hacking your system.
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Goatboy on Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:10 pm
([msg=49486]see Re: Help beating my bro in a network race![/msg])

Pandana, let me just say that you're the type of person I hate most on this site. More than the people trying to sell things. More then the people coming in here blatantly asking us to break into Facebook accounts. More than every idiot claiming to be a badass on the Internet. Why?

Because I gave you a legit answer. I took a leap of faith and assumed that you really wanted to learn, and not just try to play Neo. I took it upon myself to steer you away from a road that would undoubtedly end in frustration and failure, and towards a road that will open your mind to new ideas. I did all this because I have been there, and I know what will come of it. And what do I get?

"thank you this was some of the help i was looking for...instead of telling me to use Google ..."

Had you bothered to understand my post, you would realize that I didn't just say "Google it" and move on. I gave you advice that I have given others before, and they have thanked me for it later. I could have flamed the hell out of you, but I decided to take the high road and help you out in the long run. And in return I get a snarky remark.

So there you have it. You've gotten your answers here, now go do it.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by sanddbox on Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:23 pm
([msg=49487]see Re: Help beating my bro in a network race![/msg])

Pandana wrote:

Some good keywords:

"Why am I such a moron"

"How have I never heard of Ubuntu"

"Why am I having trouble understanding the above strategies?"

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by PinkFloyd22 on Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:13 pm
([msg=49506]see Re: Help beating my bro in a network race![/msg])

sanddbox wrote:
Pandana wrote:

Some good keywords:

"Why am I such a moron"

"How have I never heard of Ubuntu"

"Why am I having trouble understanding the above strategies?"

hahahaha
^_^
^_^
PinkFloyd22
Experienced User
Experienced User