A tool I can't remember the name of

Data that travels over the air and how to protect (or decipher) it

A tool I can't remember the name of

Post by AnubisTheJackle on Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:22 pm
([msg=47641]see A tool I can't remember the name of[/msg])

Ok, so I was browsing another website that contains tools for wireless network auditing. One of the tools that I stumbled across was a tool that mapped out the network strength of a wireless network. It could pinpoint with near precision the area that the network originated from, based on strengths it gathered.

But I've forgotten the name of it, and I can't find it on that site anymore. I was wondering if anyone has heard of a program like this. Honestly I've got no reason to need it, to be honest I just want to use it because I thought the GUI was f**ckin awesome. lol
AnubisTheJackle
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: A tool I can't remember the name of

Post by tremor77 on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:07 am
([msg=48199]see Re: A tool I can't remember the name of[/msg])

maybe one of the softs covered here: http://www.tech-faq.com/wi-fi-software-tools.html might be the one you are looking for.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thetan on Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:14 pm
([msg=48268]see Re: A tool I can't remember the name of[/msg])

Get a GPS module, and walk around a perimeter with Kismet running.

This is how Google Street view was essentially mapping WAPs on google maps, it's all publicly available and open software and you can pick up a USB GPS module for like $20 now.
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by l3ane on Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:50 pm
([msg=48363]see Re: A tool I can't remember the name of[/msg])

Hey Anubis, I remember coming across some tool called Mooch Hunter a while back that sound quite similar to that;
Mooch Hunter - http://securitystartshere.org/page-training-oswa-assistant.htm#moocherhunter

There's also another tool called HeatMapper you may want to play with if you like Wifi, never got around to trying it out myself. Look pretty cool though.
l3ane
New User
New User

Return to Networking