ARP Poisoning Attack and defense

Data that travels over the air and how to protect (or decipher) it

ARP Poisoning Attack and defense

Post by paranoidA on Wed May 12, 2010 8:11 pm
([msg=38612]see ARP Poisoning Attack and defense[/msg])

Hi all,
I'm Mark. NIce to meet u all.
I've a question about Internet security and i've think this is the right place to do it!
Let's start from the beginning...
i play a lot of Online Games but , now, i want to talk about METAL GEAR ONLINE only.
Some people have discovered a glich using some hacking tecniques.
This thing is based on a ARP poisoning router.

Do u Know CAIN & ABEL sniffer?

Combinating the powerfull APR tools with a simple sofware firewall(zone alarm), you can easly obtain a FREEZE LAG, (Instant freeze of all enemies on the screen)
How the glichers do that?

Step 1(CAIN):

They sniff their net, obtaining their PS3 Ip adress..
Then they start the APR tool , hijacking and spoofing packets from their default Gateway (192.168.1.1) to the PS3 Ip adress...(192.168.1.x)

Step 2 (ZONE ALARM):

They set the firewall in this way:
Zone Alarm has 2 defined zone . TRUSTED ZONE and INTERNET ZONE
In TRUSTED zone they put: ALL KONAMI and SONY IP ranges.
In INTERNET ZONE they put: Their Network loopback (192.168.1.1)

Now, when they want to cheat, they simply have to move the ZONE ALARM slider from TRUSTED to INTERNET.
In this way they can interrupt packets exchange between You and their charater , Freezing you !
They will not be disconnected from PS3 and GAMES couse they have the KONAMIO IPa set to TRUSTED.
here's a video showing you a glicher in action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiMIa_KczL8

I was thinking ....How can i prevent this ARP attack from these users?

There are anything that can help me to Monitor, to prevent and to fix this ??
I was thinking and i have try this:
-Disable UPNP from PS3
-Disable UPNP from METAL GEAR ONLINE INGAME
-Close all the previous opened port (VIRTUAL SERVER) the game in my router setting!

If you know the way they do, you will problably understand how they do that and how to prevent!
I think this Post should be usefull.
Thanks a lot!

mark
paranoidA
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: ARP Poisoning Attack and defense

Post by tremor77 on Wed May 12, 2010 9:58 pm
([msg=38619]see Re: ARP Poisoning Attack and defense[/msg])

First.. I am not a console gamer, I prefer to cheat on PC. Lolz. You are talking about MAO Laggers. The counter would be to also run a MAO but dont switch it, run it full time.. this should force all the packets to be run through the host instead of between clients... so basically beat the cheat by using the cheat... that's the best I can come up with.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by paranoidA on Thu May 13, 2010 6:11 am
([msg=38637]see Re: ARP Poisoning Attack and defense[/msg])

Hi tremor77,
thank you for informations.
LOL... Yep,I was talkin about Mao Laggers.
i know what you wrote.. The Counter works like a Cheat. As you wrote:Beat the cheat by using the cheat...
but...My question is..(using your words)...There are some stuffs/defence that can force all the packets to be run through the host instead of between clients??
I was thinkin now... This is not exaclty an ARP Poisoning Attack, couse this kind of attack can be done from your own local network only.
Theoretically, they are simply sniffing and hijacking their network, not mine.

Any suggestions & helps will be appriciated.

M
paranoidA
New User
New User

Post by tremor77 on Thu May 13, 2010 8:17 am
([msg=38638]see Re: ARP Poisoning Attack and defense[/msg])

Consider what would happen, if they sniffed out the packets that occurred everytime they made a headshot or something. Instead of being a lag glitcher they could use packet injection to create a pseudo aimbot, or a in reverse a god-mode character. TBH from what I've heard from my console gaming friends, the game is fatally flawed. And the way that the 'cheat' is being manipulated, I think it would take a game patch to prevent it.. but, sadly - console game.

Btw welcome to HTS, you should try some of the missions and get more involved... fun stuff to learn.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by paranoidA on Thu May 13, 2010 8:40 am
([msg=38642]see Re: ARP Poisoning Attack and defense[/msg])

Consider what would happen, if they sniffed out the packets that occurred everytime they made a headshot or something. Instead of being a lag glitcher they could use packet injection to create a pseudo aimbot, or a in reverse a god-mode character. TBH from what I've heard from my console gaming friends, the game is fatally flawed. And the way that the 'cheat' is being manipulated, I think it would take a game patch to prevent it.. but, sadly - console game.

Btw welcome to HTS, you should try some of the missions and get more involved... fun stuff to learn.

Yes tremor, i agree with you.
PC games are exploitable, due to his Architecture...you can use MAPHacks, aimbots, wallhack etc etc..
Console games are unpatchable, unless the patch is developed by konami to "Fix" their servers.
But for the same reason, I Think you can't figured out an AIMBOT or somithing like this for MGO!
They couldn't able to modify CODE and PACKETS,becouse They have to hack & get a root account in konami servers first!
Very Hard!
I'm going to continue my tests..i hope to find something can help MGO community.
BTw, No worries about Glichers.So i dont care if they cheat!and i don't like Ethical cries.
Btw, thanks for your time.
i'll follow your suggestions, i 'll try to complete some missions, just for fun, just for Knowledge!

Hi and best regards from EU.

M
paranoidA
New User
New User

Post by x51elite on Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:19 am
([msg=43838]see Re: ARP Poisoning Attack and defense[/msg])

you may already know this if so please dis re guard but most of the time online console game cheaters use a lag switch
something easy made actually the lags and freezes in an online game can possibly be caused by a lag switch for example you might be walking around in halo3 nobody is around you and you fall over dead for no reason because a lag switch sends delays to network servers the game has not realized you have already been killed so the cheater can kill you and you will not even know look up youtube vids for lag switches again please dis regaurd if you already know this

also other ways to cheat in a game is to hook your xbox HDD to a sata cable and into your pc and do some Hex modding
i modded my oblivion save even tough its an offline game its a great example i used hex coding to add spells items and mod my stats so it is possible to cheat by hexing your game save data all you need is a sata cable to link your xbox HDD and pc and use programs like Xport 360 to veiw hard drive Content Modio to re hash resign your game data and hex workshop to hex mod
like modern warfare2 modding your clan tag to anything and modding stats this is another example i know this post is a little off subject but still informative
x51elite
New User
New User

Post by eatcheese on Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:16 pm
([msg=44009]see Re: ARP Poisoning Attack and defense[/msg])

paranoidA wrote:Hi all,
I'm Mark.

HOLY SHIT IM MARK!
eatcheese
New User
New User

Post by kujinR on Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:26 am
([msg=44134]see Re: ARP Poisoning Attack and defense[/msg])

x51elite wrote:you may already know this if so please dis re guard but most of the time online console game cheaters use a lag switch
something easy made actually the lags and freezes in an online game can possibly be caused by a lag switch for example you might be walking around in halo3 nobody is around you and you fall over dead for no reason because a lag switch sends delays to network servers the game has not realized you have already been killed so the cheater can kill you and you will not even know look up youtube vids for lag switches again please dis regaurd if you already know this

also other ways to cheat in a game is to hook your xbox HDD to a sata cable and into your pc and do some Hex modding
i modded my oblivion save even tough its an offline game its a great example i used hex coding to add spells items and mod my stats so it is possible to cheat by hexing your game save data all you need is a sata cable to link your xbox HDD and pc and use programs like Xport 360 to veiw hard drive Content Modio to re hash resign your game data and hex workshop to hex mod
like modern warfare2 modding your clan tag to anything and modding stats this is another example i know this post is a little off subject but still informative

You should really get a keyboard that has punctuation marks. You know, dots and commas? They're can be pretty useful.
"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
"red = changed"
kujinR
Poster
Poster

Return to Networking