Server Computer

Data that travels over the air and how to protect (or decipher) it

Re: Server Computer

Post by thetan on Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:03 pm
([msg=38215]see Re: Server Computer[/msg])

also, you can call it nitpicking. However, if you're as deep into the tech as i am (i can sit down and debate the differences/advantages over given kernels, malloc implementations, paging systems, schedulers, binary formats, etc) such things most users would consider trivial differences are worlds apart from my perspectives. A statement such as "Linux grew from Unix" is almost like nails on the chalkboard as it couldn't be more wrong.
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by TheNightFox on Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:33 pm
([msg=38217]see Re: Server Computer[/msg])

Thetan, I lost interest half way through your first post.

As for the alarm clock, I've already got a similar system on my computer. It's simple, it runs VLC on startup and a playlist I made to wake me up. Did you mean syncing it with every computer in the network? 2 in the morning, every computer goes off: "WAKE UP MOTHER****ER!!!"
He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future.
TheNightFox
New User
New User

Post by sanddbox on Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:21 pm
([msg=38222]see Re: Server Computer[/msg])

If I were you I'd implement a caching proxy. Shit's cash.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Goatboy on Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:36 am
([msg=38236]see Re: Server Computer[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:If I were you I'd implement a caching proxy. Shit's cash.

Ladies and gentleman, sanddbox!

Anyways, if you're interested in volunteer work, you can set up your server to do work for universities and research labs. It's called BOINC, and you are basically making your server part of a huge cloud. When it's idle, it'll start downloading problems to work on, lending your clock cycles to the cause. It's a great way to put your server/desktop to use when it's not, well, in use.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by lord_hondros on Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:13 pm
([msg=38273]see Re: Server Computer[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:
lord_hondros wrote:@ Goatboy:
I was merely stating that there was a distribution of Linux made specifically to run as a server. I do not remember the name of this distribution, and I am fully aware that Linux is a kernel. However, I do not think that I should have to type out "an OS distribution that is based off of the Linux kernel" when a simple "version of linux" will suffice. Sorry if it came off like I have no clue what I am talking about, while I am simply trying to help. Also, I am not trying to start a fight, just defending myself where needs be.

o_O

Are you reading the same thing I am? I was agreeing with you, dude!

Meh, I think I was also half asleep while typing/reading this stuff man xD
Damagedspy:
Die! Die! Die! let this thread die! This is almost 2 years old!
Stop rising the dead.
/me grabs shotgun and empties it on the thread.
lord_hondros
New User
New User

Post by TheNightFox on Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:19 pm
([msg=38305]see Re: Server Computer[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:
Anyways, if you're interested in volunteer work, you can set up your server to do work for universities and research labs. It's called BOINC, and you are basically making your server part of a huge cloud. When it's idle, it'll start downloading problems to work on, lending your clock cycles to the cause. It's a great way to put your server/desktop to use when it's not, well, in use.

Funny you should mention that. I'm already using BOINC on my PC, having it running whenever I'm not doing anything too taxing. My computer starts up at 3am (both for off peak downloading and to wake me up sometimes) so I have it running on start up, so that usually gives it a few hours worth.
I think I will include the server computer into my BOINC account, because the server will be running (hopefully) all the time and could clock up some serious time on BOINC.
He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future.
TheNightFox
New User
New User

Post by vaporware on Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:54 pm
([msg=39432]see Re: Server Computer[/msg])

http://www.levenez.com/unix/

According to this, Linux originated from Minix which originated from UNIX Time-Sharing System Seventh Edition which originated from its ancestors down to the UNIX Time-Sharing System First Edition which originated from UNICS which originated from Multics which originated from ...!
"As I did 20 years ago, I still fervently believe that the only way to make software secure, reliable, and fast is to make it small. Fight Features."

-Andrew S. Tanenbaum (Author of MINIX)
vaporware
New User
New User

Post by thetan on Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:19 pm
([msg=39434]see Re: Server Computer[/msg])

Nice try but wrong. That chart is a bloody mess and misleading.

Nice try but you're wrong. Linux itself is not an operating system. All Linux is, is a kernel and nothing else hence the term GNU/Linux as the GNU Utils compromise the rest of the operating system. Saying that Linux is a descendant of Minix is somewhat a false stament not only to the aspect of Linux only being a kernel, but also to the fact that the kernels are different types of kernels. The linux kernel is a "Monolithic Kernel" while Minix is a "Micro kernel". You should read up on how drastically the 2 types of kernels vary.

Linux never has and never will be unix and same goes for minix.
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by vaporware on Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:30 pm
([msg=39440]see Re: Server Computer[/msg])

thetan wrote:Nice try but wrong. That chart is a bloody mess and misleading.

Nice try but you're wrong. Linux itself is not an operating system. All Linux is, is a kernel and nothing else hence the term GNU/Linux as the GNU Utils compromise the rest of the operating system. Saying that Linux is a descendant of Minix is somewhat a false stament not only to the aspect of Linux only being a kernel, but also to the fact that the kernels are different types of kernels. The linux kernel is a "Monolithic Kernel" while Minix is a "Micro kernel". You should read up on how drastically the 2 types of kernels vary.

Linux never has and never will be unix and same goes for minix.

Yes, of course, Linux is just the kernel. I think the chart is meant to show general "inheritance" as it so claims in a "historical" sort of sense, and not directly an import of specific code or design from one system to another. As for the monolithic versus microkernel: http://oreilly.com/catalog/opensources/book/appa.html
"As I did 20 years ago, I still fervently believe that the only way to make software secure, reliable, and fast is to make it small. Fight Features."

-Andrew S. Tanenbaum (Author of MINIX)
vaporware
New User
New User

Post by thetan on Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:24 am
([msg=39452]see Re: Server Computer[/msg])

[quote="vaporware" As for the monolithic versus microkernel: http://oreilly.com/catalog/opensources/book/appa.html[/quote]
ahhh yes, the canonical debate. Anyone who'd waste their life reading that is a moron. Either that or a hopeless fan boy.

thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Networking