eee pc 1005ha wlan cracking capabilities

Data that travels over the air and how to protect (or decipher) it

eee pc 1005ha wlan cracking capabilities

Post by dark159123 on Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:48 am
([msg=36669]see eee pc 1005ha wlan cracking capabilities[/msg])

first of i don't know if this is the right forum, but as this is about the 1005ha's ability to crack/gain access too/experiment with wireless networks im guessing it is.

i'm thinking about buying an asus eee pc 1005ha, and i want it to be able to, ofcourse do regular netbook stuff like surfing the internet/etc, but i also want it to able to experiment with wpe/wap/etc (uhm that didn't sound right but im talking about wlan encryption nonetheless), and ofcourse i'm "not" going to do anything "illegal" with it, just "trying it out" on "my own" wireless network, and if i "accidently" accessed anybodys wlan i wouldnt do anything bad, such as a man in the middle attack/etc (seriously! i wouldnt do anything unless i know enough about it to be sure that im not actually harming anybody, and to be certain that that im not gonna get caught)

im thinking about using backtrack as the os (no matter if you like it or not it's good to start out with because its got most of the tools you need preinstalled), but how well does the 1005ha handle backtrack? any compatibilty problems? does it have an acceptable boot up time? can is run it without extreme lag? anything else?

by the way i do have a primary desktop computer so anything related to usb boot thingys and stuff like that isnt a problem
Scientia Est Sanctum

Security is not to be archieved by eliminating danger, but by learning to defend yourself against it
dark159123
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: eee pc 1005ha wlan cracking capabilities

Post by cilpolir on Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:51 am
([msg=36673]see Re: eee pc 1005ha wlan cracking capabilities[/msg])

I have no experiences with backtrack OS, but I do have some with aircrack-ng which I use for "experimenting" with my network. What the most importand is the chipset of your wirelesscard. I have a wirelesscard of atheros and it works perfectly for me, but for more info if your chipset is compatible with aircrack-ng click here.
Also I get the idea you have almost no idea where your talking about, mainly becouse the encryption is called wep and wpa and becouse lagging on a network is (almost) impossible,
And if you don't have any experience with a linux-based OS (like backtrack) I wouldn't start with backtrack, just my advice though, do with it whatever you want
cilpolir
Poster
Poster

Post by insomaniacal on Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:42 am
([msg=36675]see Re: eee pc 1005ha wlan cracking capabilities[/msg])

I also wouldn't go with Backtrack, at least not the new release. I remember using the beta, and it worked fine until it started having some really weird errors. The final release wasn't much better, who knows, it might be something specific to my end though.

Here are instructions on install BT4 beta on that laptop

This thread suggests that you'd be able to get packet injection to work, albeit with some tweaking.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by dark159123 on Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:40 pm
([msg=36678]see Re: eee pc 1005ha wlan cracking capabilities[/msg])

@cilpolir i do know a tiny bit about wep wpa cracking (how to use aircrack-ng only really O.o), i had just forgotten the names (seriously), and i was reffering to the machine lagging when using backtrack, not the wlan. i do also have quite a bit experience with linux, one of the reasons that im buying a laptop is so i can get further experience with it, as i have to dual boot linux/windows on my desktop because i like to play games, so sometimes i just boot into windows incase i wanna play a game later, which wouldnt be the case on a netbook because you cant play most of them anyway. i do not know the wireless chipset of the 1005ha im quite sure it is supported as i havent seen anyone complaining about (i know it's a bad reason for me to believe so, and i am probably gonna find out later)

@insomaniacal what specific errors are you reffering to?
Scientia Est Sanctum

Security is not to be archieved by eliminating danger, but by learning to defend yourself against it
dark159123
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by insomaniacal on Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:00 pm
([msg=36680]see Re: eee pc 1005ha wlan cracking capabilities[/msg])

"X" broke at least three times on me. I couldn't find anything in my logs that would suggest as to what caused this. In addition, it would drop my internet at relatively random times. I eventually switched to using Ndiswrapper and that went away, so it might have been a driver problem. It just wasn't as stable as other Linux Distro's I had/have installed.

You could install every tool that comes with BT with relative ease on another distro.

BTW the 1005ha uses the ar9285 chipset. It was posted in the thread I linked ;)
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by dark159123 on Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:41 pm
([msg=36685]see Re: eee pc 1005ha wlan cracking capabilities[/msg])

@insomaniacal thanks for the info, i might consider dual booting bt4 and ubuntu/etc (or maybe install every single linux distro i can find and try them all out :roll: or maybe not but it would be cool), i must agree though backtrack is rather unstable compared to other distros, i'm currently running it from my primary desktop, because (my definetly unpirated - ofcourse *ninjasmiley*) kept bsod'ing me for some reason, probably driver related as i have got it working before... anyway, thanks for the chipset info - i forgot to look after that *ninja smiley again* ( i want a ninja smiley!) i did find out though that all ar (i forgot the company name, this thread relly give a bad imppression of me O.o ... i what about a O.o smiley? i want one of those too!) chipsets are supported by aircrack-ng all non usb wireless network cards (can it be called WLAN cards?) from *the company naming their chipsets ar<number>* that is
Scientia Est Sanctum

dark159123
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by insomaniacal on Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:09 pm
([msg=36689]see Re: eee pc 1005ha wlan cracking capabilities[/msg])

The company in question is Atheros just fyi ;) .

If you're not too familiar with Linux, I'd recommend Ubuntu or Mint. Even if you know your way around those distros are both fairly solid.
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by dark159123 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:04 am
([msg=36717]see Re: eee pc 1005ha wlan cracking capabilities[/msg])

yeah ubuntu was the one i was thinking about, that or opensuse. just to get used to kde, kubuntu is simply too stupid

EDIT: by the way what am i supposed to do with the driver i find through the compatibility list? just copy/past the .c files content into one on my own machine? or is there some hidden download link, perhaps d-links (which has made my current wlan card) webside (on which i can't find any for linux)?
Scientia Est Sanctum

dark159123
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by insomaniacal on Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:48 am
([msg=36722]see Re: eee pc 1005ha wlan cracking capabilities[/msg])

Well, first you should just install and see if it recognizes your card. There's a huge number of ones already supported out of the box. You might want to try the Ubuntu Netbook remix if you're on the 1005ha.

If it doesn't recognize your card, you have to download the driver (probably from the manufacturer's website), and then compile it. Linux treats drivers differently than Windows, because they're actually part of the Kernel. After you compile the driver, it's best to restart your computer (although this probably isn't 100% necessary), and load the kernel module with

Code: Select all
modprobe *old driver name* -r
modprobe *new driver name*
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by dark159123 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:56 am
([msg=36725]see Re: eee pc 1005ha wlan cracking capabilities[/msg])

thanks i'll do that... as soon as i get the money for it... in a month, or two.
Scientia Est Sanctum

dark159123
Experienced User
Experienced User

Next

Return to Networking