Protecting the network

Data that travels over the air and how to protect (or decipher) it

Protecting the network

Post by jourdie on Thu May 22, 2008 6:08 am
([msg=3000]see Protecting the network[/msg])

Hey all,

Recently in class, we have been doing networking and set up a dozen IBM's on a network and the likes.
Anyway, i went home and tested whether i could detect packets across the wireless with CAIN.
TO my suprise easily enough, form details and server passwords were easily discovered and easily crackable.
So back at school i tested this with my teacher and sure enough the sniffer easily routed the packets...and recorded

Now to my question:
If this network sniffing is possible to do over wireless and LAN. What can i do to stop malicious users to connecting to my wireless...Or even the schools proper network?

Thanks in advance

b1nd/jourdie
This is a paradox: I always lie
This is a statement: You're a fag!
jourdie
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Protecting the network

Post by yourmysin on Thu May 22, 2008 7:17 am
([msg=3004]see Re: Protecting the network[/msg])

Securing your wireless is only one part of the problem. You still have to prevent legitimate users from attempting to packet sniff.

Are you using a switch or hub?
A+, Network+, MCTS(70-620), Security+, CCNA
yourmysin
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by jourdie on Fri May 23, 2008 4:18 am
([msg=3075]see Re: Protecting the network[/msg])

At school we are using multiple hubs, plugged into a main switch...im pretty sure...
But at home, its just basic wireless router plugged into the wall...

How would u secure the network, would it be to config the router's firewall at home and school and on the school network config the server to only allow certain mac addresses, although MAC addresses can be changed, users would have to find the MAC address of my computer....

Still quite unsure...
Have i given enough details...plz post if u need more info
This is a paradox: I always lie
This is a statement: You're a fag!
jourdie
New User
New User

Post by R0y4L91 on Tue May 27, 2008 7:07 am
([msg=3315]see Re: Protecting the network[/msg])

What i did is configured my Wireless that it allows connections just by filtering MAC addresses. I have 1 pc and 3 laptops which are connected to the same wireless, so its got all of the MAC addresses and wouldnt allow any other MAC address onto the network... Worked to me..
R0y4L91
New User
New User

Post by MidnightK33sh on Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:52 am
([msg=4035]see Re: Protecting the network[/msg])

R0y4L91 wrote:What i did is configured my Wireless that it allows connections just by filtering MAC addresses. I have 1 pc and 3 laptops which are connected to the same wireless, so its got all of the MAC addresses and wouldnt allow any other MAC address onto the network... Worked to me..

Sorry to dissapoint, but no it didn't :-P
How do I know? Because MAC addresses are easily faked, which means a hacker can get somewhere near your house, put their wireless card into monitor mode, and see which clients are active and attached to your access point and then wait to 3am when you're not online, change their MAC to your's, connect then have a party at your expense haha :-P
Edit: This is only one method, there are many depending on what/if you use encryption.

As for securing your wireless, use WPA encryption (isn't infallible afaik).
As for securing school *shrugs shoulders* haha
Hello :-)
MidnightK33sh
New User
New User

Return to Networking