Ip's, Proxies, and VPN's.

Data that travels over the air and how to protect (or decipher) it

Ip's, Proxies, and VPN's.

Post by Hadra85 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:39 pm
([msg=71033]see Ip's, Proxies, and VPN's.[/msg])

Interested to know everyone choice/opinion on Proxies and VPN's?
and no i dont like TOR. i've been trying to configure the bloody thing for a week and all it does is make my browser stop working and it doesn't seem to protect activity outside of the browser.

im currently using a free VPN thats slow as hell, but doesnt require any config, doesn't keep logs, and hides my IP.
I want to know if anyone is using any of the paid VPN's, if they keep logs, and how fast they are. Not doing anything illegal just super paranoid about whos looking at my activity.

next question. is it logical to use Proxies in conjunction with VPN's? does it add an extra layer of protection?
are VPN's and Proxies the win-all or can they be traced through? i've always just wondered this as a general question. Maybe i've been playing too much Uplink...

would love some newb friendly advice on this. and am just generally interested as to what more knowledgeable people are using out there.
"What is locked - can be opened.
What is hidden - can be found.
What is yours - can be mine."
Hadra85
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Ip's, Proxies, and VPN's.

Post by not_essence2 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:44 pm
([msg=71039]see Re: Ip's, Proxies, and VPN's.[/msg])

Meh. I haven't really read on the topic, but I will. Really, the ideal would probably be if the person wanting the IP-hiding software wrote it themselves, but that's an unrealistic goal.
not_essence2
Poster
Poster

Post by mShred on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:05 pm
([msg=71072]see Re: Ip's, Proxies, and VPN's.[/msg])

There is no win all. You'll never be one hundred percent anonymous. Regardless of whether or not you think you're anonymous, the VPN provider is more than likely keeping logs. All it takes is for cyber feds to put a few things together to find you. Especially through an unpaid service. Tor is actually fairly easy to configure. A simple five second tutorial on the Tor site itself should be sufficient in helping you figure that out. Adding a proxy to a VPN makes little sense. In a way, it would add a layer of security. But all it would do would bounce you through anther bouncer, which in turn would make it slower. If you really wanted to have an extra layer like that, then Tor would be your best bet. Considering Tor is just that, a shit ton of layers on top of layers.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by not_essence2 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:59 pm
([msg=71075]see Re: Ip's, Proxies, and VPN's.[/msg])

Or, if you had a crazy-huge budget, make all the proxies and VPNs and bouncers yourself, and get the highest possible speed on all of them.
not_essence2
Poster
Poster

Post by xsvMix on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:35 am
([msg=71096]see Re: Ip's, Proxies, and VPN's.[/msg])

not_essence2 wrote:Meh. I haven't really read on the topic, but I will. Really, the ideal would probably be if the person wanting the IP-hiding software wrote it themselves, but that's an unrealistic goal.

I believe it's more realistic than you think https://www.hackthissite.org/articles/read/1103

Also I used to have a VPS that I used as a proxy, it has since been shutdown so I'm a little out of luck as well. It's pretty nice though because it's an SSH connection and using ProxyCap means everything will go through the tunnel, not just browsers and I also used to it bypass firewalls to do game updates or anything else that was blocked.
xsvMix
New User
New User

Post by not_essence2 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:40 pm
([msg=71104]see Re: Ip's, Proxies, and VPN's.[/msg])

Oh yeah, I remember that. You're right.
not_essence2
Poster
Poster

Post by Hadra85 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:22 pm
([msg=71110]see Re: Ip's, Proxies, and VPN's.[/msg])

again... Tor only seems to protect browser. unless you add individual programs.
i have tried searching around but i may be asking the wrong question.

is there anything that effectively encompasses all internet activity and is secure?
"What is locked - can be opened.
What is hidden - can be found.
What is yours - can be mine."
Hadra85
New User
New User

Post by Shade_of_Gray on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:31 pm
([msg=71114]see Re: Ip's, Proxies, and VPN's.[/msg])

Hadra85 wrote:again... Tor only seems to protect browser. unless you add individual programs.
i have tried searching around but i may be asking the wrong question.

is there anything that effectively encompasses all internet activity and is secure?

If you know what you're doing, thoroughly understand your tools, and make no mistakes - yes, sort of, depending on who you're hiding from.

Otherwise, no.
Shade_of_Gray
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by neXumlulz on Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:01 pm
([msg=71963]see Re: Ip's, Proxies, and VPN's.[/msg])

I use Cyberghost VPN works pretty good and you can get a free month trial.
neXumlulz
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:53 pm
([msg=71971]see Re: Ip's, Proxies, and VPN's.[/msg])

Hadra85 wrote:Interested to know everyone choice/opinion on Proxies and VPN's?
and no i dont like TOR. i've been trying to configure the bloody thing for a week and all it does is make my browser stop working and it doesn't seem to protect activity outside of the browser.

I use Tor with proxychains configured to run SOCKS5 also with a VPN and or a VPS when trying to stay anon.
I don't see why it was hard for you to configure it unless maybe you are not on a *nix machine.
If you are on a *nix machine perhaps you never heard of the program "proxychains"

Hadra85 wrote:im currently using a free VPN thats slow as hell, but doesnt require any config, doesn't keep logs, and hides my IP.
I want to know if anyone is using any of the paid VPN's, if they keep logs, and how fast they are. Not doing anything illegal just super paranoid about whos looking at my activity.

Google.com

Hadra85 wrote:next question. is it logical to use Proxies in conjunction with VPN's? does it add an extra layer of protection?
are VPN's and Proxies the win-all or can they be traced through?

VPN's will help by adding extra "hops" from your connection to where you are connecting to.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Return to Networking