Page 2 of 2

Re: Extended Basics Tutorial

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:05 pm
by kiddietron
For some reason I can't pass number 2. I just don't get it. I realize what's being added twice but whatever I put in won't do anything.

I've tried
Lol Not gonna tell you! Sorry didn't post in case it's a spoiler.

In the end I think the extbasic 2 just glitched on me. :(

Re: Extended Basics Tutorial

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:42 am
by MrJonn
kiddietron wrote:For some reason I can't pass number 2. I just don't get it. I realize what's being added twice but whatever I put in won't do anything.

I've tried
Lol Not gonna tell you! Sorry didn't post in case it's a spoiler.

In the end I think the extbasic 2 just glitched on me. :(


See: http://www.hackthissite.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=248

That thread was what made the penny drop for me!

Re: Extended Basics Tutorial

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:10 pm
by kaoS555
Thanks for the tutorials, they helped a LOT! Cant wait for an updated thread to be posted for the remaining challenges...I suppose the training wheels had to come off sometime ;)

Re: Extended Basics Tutorial

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:36 pm
by Avery17
Omg thank you soo much! I spent the last 30 minutes tearing apart the shell script and learning about sed for ext basic 5 and I just rushed learning about sed too much. I actually already had your reference open at the time I just didn't read the correct area. Ext Basic 5 is so simple I can't believe I missed it. Thanks man!

Re: Extended Basics Tutorial

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:38 pm
by sharpiee
Hey guys, I feel like a complete moron, but what is the syntax for the input? Specifically number 1. I know how to crash it (that's easy) but what is he looking for input wise? Everything I've tried so far has just taken me back to the same page. Thanks ahead!
-Sharpiee

Re: Extended Basics Tutorial

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:02 am
by Snipeon
currently on extbasic 3. i don't get it at all...
according to my interpretation, this is how it goes...

BEGIN no.treal :
variable BEGIN is not a real number.

CREATE int AS 2 :
variable CREATE = 2

DESTROY int AS 0 :
variable DESTROY = 0

ANS var AS Create + TO :
ANS = Create + TO

out TO :
output TO

firstly, WHAT??? what in the world is TO in the first place??? and what happened to BEGIN? and why bother to output TO?? and what is the use of ANS if you don't use it??? plz gimme some hints as to how off my interpretation was...

[EDITED]
ok, i thought up of a few interpretations, but nothing makes sense anymore. can someone plz point me in the right direction? my head hurts...

Re: Extended Basics Tutorial

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:39 pm
by 3vilp4wn
CREATE int AS 2 :

Or is it creating the variable "AS", and setting it to 2?

Re: Extended Basics Tutorial

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:18 pm
by Snipeon
3vilp4wn wrote:CREATE int AS 2 :

Or is it creating the variable "AS", and setting it to 2?


it seems you would have to learn assembly to even understand it...

Re: Extended Basics Tutorial

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:46 pm
by cluele55
I completed extbasic 3 by guessing, but I still don't get it. I tried to analyze it, but I felt like I was grabbing at air. First, I'm not sure what "AS" is. I thought it was a variable, but then how come it was assigned a value of 2 and later a value of 0? What was the function of "DESTROY"? (Again, I can guess, but I'm not really sure) My biggest conflict was with "TO," which wasn't declared ahead of time. It seems at the very least, this program would receive a "unknown variable TO not defined" error. There was also the CREATE/Create confusion. The instructions say that it's case sensitive. Does that mean CREATE and Create are not the same thing?

Anyway, I completed the mission, but if anyone can think of a way to provide an explanation without spoilers, that'd be great.

Re: Extended Basics Tutorial

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:39 pm
by Autisticurry
cluele55 wrote:I completed extbasic 3 by guessing, but I still don't get it. I tried to analyze it, but I felt like I was grabbing at air. First, I'm not sure what "AS" is. I thought it was a variable, but then how come it was assigned a value of 2 and later a value of 0? What was the function of "DESTROY"? (Again, I can guess, but I'm not really sure) My biggest conflict was with "TO," which wasn't declared ahead of time. It seems at the very least, this program would receive a "unknown variable TO not defined" error. There was also the CREATE/Create confusion. The instructions say that it's case sensitive. Does that mean CREATE and Create are not the same thing?

Anyway, I completed the mission, but if anyone can think of a way to provide an explanation without spoilers, that'd be great.

Same here, can someone please explain the 'TO'?