ExtBasic 11

Learn how to do code review

Re: ExtBasic 11

Post by mutants_r_us_guild on Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:31 pm
([msg=15448]see Re: ExtBasic 11[/msg])

Sweet. Now I'm rather interested as to how many people have solved the mission. Didn't there used to be a page on HTS that let you view who completed each mission first, second, third, and so on... It was a long time ago... but I don't know if it's still around.. maybe it was in the old HTS.
mutants_r_us_guild
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Dunuin on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:05 pm
([msg=17628]see Re: ExtBasic 11[/msg])

Finally I cracked this hash.
In my opinion this one is the hardest ext_basic(but 10 was also hard).

A tip for everyone:
You program has to deal with veeeeeery high numbers. My program could not crack the hash first, because the numbers are too high to calculate.
Dunuin
New User
New User

Post by ganglionx on Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:01 pm
([msg=17772]see Re: ExtBasic 11[/msg])

I wrote a program for this and after 5 hours of brute-forcing I finally got the password (39 characters) :) I really got authenticated in the batch script and saw "You have been authenticated. Welcome aboard!". So I posted this solution but it wasn't accepted :-( Any hints :?:
ganglionx
New User
New User

Post by GuGaBoY on Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:23 pm
([msg=17856]see Re: ExtBasic 11[/msg])

Excellent mission, congrats to those who created it
It's a good intro to hashes and programming bruteforcers

A tip for everyone:
You program has to deal with veeeeeery high numbers. My program could not crack the hash first, because the numbers are too high to calculate.

Those who are trying to solve it in C/C++ : double variables will work fine
"Imagination is more important than knowledge..." Albert Einstein
GuGaBoY
New User
New User

Post by mutants_r_us_guild on Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:36 pm
([msg=17858]see Re: ExtBasic 11[/msg])

ganglionx wrote:I wrote a program for this and after 5 hours of brute-forcing I finally got the password (39 characters) :) I really got authenticated in the batch script and saw "You have been authenticated. Welcome aboard!". So I posted this solution but it wasn't accepted :-( Any hints :?:

I was surprised that this 39 char pass worked when you gave it to me.. but it did.. and now i know why.. i figured it out later.. I'll work with anonhacker later to add more solutions to the mission.

GuGaBoY wrote:Excellent mission, congrats to those who created it<br>It's a good intro to hashes and programming bruteforcers<br><br>
A tip for everyone:<br>You program has to deal with veeeeeery high numbers. My program could not crack the hash first, because the numbers are too high to calculate.
<br>Those who are trying to solve it in C/C++ : double variables will work fine

I'm glad you liked it. :D
mutants_r_us_guild
Poster
Poster

Post by dsurge on Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:29 am
([msg=17873]see Re: ExtBasic 11[/msg])

not sure if i'm on the right track or not... but my answer is well over 1000 characters long

it works in the batch script, but doesnt get accepted for the mission

i feel like the acceptable answer is simpler to get. idk
dsurge
New User
New User

Post by mutants_r_us_guild on Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:08 am
([msg=17879]see Re: ExtBasic 11[/msg])

dsurge wrote:not sure if i'm on the right track or not... but my answer is well over 1000 characters long<br><br>it works in the batch script, but doesnt get accepted for the mission<br><br>i feel like the acceptable answer is simpler to get. idk

You are having the same problem as ganglionx. The reason you pass works is that even though its not the pass... once it wraps, it becomes equal to the same hash as the pass. Example:

lets say the overflow limit here is 6
If we have 13 set as our pass, that means the hash would be 1.
However, 25 would work as well. Since it wraps around and makes a hash of 1 as well.
Remember... the hash is just a remainder.

This means there are infinite working passes... we just need to make a better system for validation... right now the site checks for anagrams of a certain word.. rather than actually hash the input and compare like it should.
Hopefully this will be straightened out soon.
mutants_r_us_guild
Poster
Poster

Post by dsurge on Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:21 pm
([msg=17885]see Re: ExtBasic 11[/msg])

mutants_r_us_guild wrote:
dsurge wrote:not sure if i'm on the right track or not... but my answer is well over 1000 characters long<br><br>it works in the batch script, but doesnt get accepted for the mission<br><br>i feel like the acceptable answer is simpler to get. idk

You are having the same problem as ganglionx. The reason you pass works is that even though its not the pass... once it wraps, it becomes equal to the same hash as the pass.

i recursively wrapped them intentionally until it hit the number. so... i'm guessing there is a way to do it without wrapping?
dsurge
New User
New User

Post by mutants_r_us_guild on Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:34 pm
([msg=17915]see Re: ExtBasic 11[/msg])

dsurge wrote:
mutants_r_us_guild wrote:
<br><br>You are having the same problem as ganglionx. The reason you pass works is that even though its not the pass... once it wraps, it becomes equal to the same hash as the pass.
<br><br>i recursively wrapped them intentionally until it hit the number. so... i'm guessing there is a way to do it without wrapping?

well.. yes and no.You are supposed to take the hash and "un"-wrap it. Read my article on the mission for a better explanation. Either way.. the passes work, and hopefully i can get confirmation from anonhacker soon. Then we'll work on a fix. I might have to do it myself though.

My article: http://www.hackthissite.org/articles/read/1022/
mutants_r_us_guild
Poster
Poster

Post by dsurge on Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:55 pm
([msg=17965]see Re: ExtBasic 11[/msg])

mutants_r_us_guild wrote:well.. yes and no.You are supposed to take the hash and "un"-wrap it. Read my article on the mission for a better explanation. Either way.. the passes work, and hopefully i can get confirmation from anonhacker soon. Then we'll work on a fix. I might have to do it myself though.

My article: http://www.hackthissite.org/articles/read/1022/

ahhh. i see.

i just had my program randomly wrap and unwrap till i got it

i waited to read your article until after i beat it-- didnt want to get too many hints. this was a good challenge tho-- one of the best. i havent been stumped like that in a while. lol
dsurge
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Extended Basics