Ideas anyone?!

Learn how to do code review

Ideas anyone?!

Post by mShred on Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:41 pm
([msg=76017]see Ideas anyone?![/msg])

Alright. So my boys fas and spaux(IRC guy) have been doin work on the dev situation. We've finally got a solid dev workflow rolling. With that, it's time to start pushing out updates/fixes/new shiz/happiness. So that said, if you've anything you'd like to see happen with HTS, let me hear it.
This could include a wishlish kind of thing, say a mobile site or forum/site integration. But what I'm really looking for is the small things. Any kind of quick fix, quick addition or whatever. Idea for a new layout? Throw it out here. 404 on a link? Post that here.
Ideas, ideas, ideas. Anything you guys have, I wanna hear it. However big, however small. We're in the reconstruction phase of HTS. With enough ideas, we can start working ourselves toward v5 phase HTS. So let me hear what you guys have got.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Ideas anyone?!

Post by hellow533 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:23 pm
([msg=76019]see Re: Ideas anyone?![/msg])

How about mission-like interactive tutorials. I've suggested this multiple times now, it would dramatically boost the website's new user knowledge, cut back on "how to hack" threads, and boost activity because people will actually try to learn for once. Sure it would take a while, but once you cover multiple fields people will be swarming. I'm thinking a good 50+ tutorials as well, going from basic to advanced. Include program interfaces, such as a fake linux box or Cain to sniff out fake packets.

I'll even help develop missions (when I have time) if need be. I'm willing to help, let's just get the ball rolling on this.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by DrRoach on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:31 pm
([msg=76020]see Re: Ideas anyone?![/msg])

I know this is unlikely to happen as its really far fectched but could you make an app? would be really cool
DrRoach
Poster
Poster

Post by hellow533 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:56 am
([msg=76027]see Re: Ideas anyone?![/msg])

Bump for more ideas.
“Teach me how to hack!”
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by limdis on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:17 pm
([msg=76031]see Re: Ideas anyone?![/msg])

hellow533 wrote:How about mission-like interactive tutorials. I've suggested this multiple times now, it would dramatically boost the website's new user knowledge, cut back on "how to hack" threads, and boost activity because people will actually try to learn for once. Sure it would take a while, but once you cover multiple fields people will be swarming. I'm thinking a good 50+ tutorials as well, going from basic to advanced. Include program interfaces, such as a fake linux box or Cain to sniff out fake packets.

Future missions are likely to include this. We've discussed this a lot in the past and all are agreed this is a decent idea as long as it is implemented correctly. For the old/current missions I've brought up having a link to a full blown explanation of the vulnerability, to include how find it and prevent it from happening. The link would be shown upon completetion.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by fashizzlepop on Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:30 pm
([msg=76044]see Re: Ideas anyone?![/msg])

DrRoach wrote:I know this is unlikely to happen as its really far fectched but could you make an app? would be really cool

You mean for Mobile users? That would be the goal of a new mobile interface (which is mostly CSS). Also with a new forum, it would be easier to implement a better mobile experience with the forums as well.

That said, an app is most likely out of the question for now, but a m.hts.io (mobile HTS) is likely to come in the near future.

hellow533 wrote:How about mission-like interactive tutorials.

I assume you mean along the lines of a CodeAcademy style? This is a very good idea and will most likely be implemented when we get past the "repair" stage of HTS. Thanks for the input.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by -Ninjex- on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:53 pm
([msg=76048]see Re: Ideas anyone?![/msg])

A tiny fix that needs to be made is on the page that gets brought up when a user should clear their hashes.

It shows up on the page as:
Code: Select all
Your authentication hash has been invalidated. Please <a href="https://www.hackthissite.org/?logout">clear your hashes</a> and relogin.

So, the link is not getting processed properly as html how it should.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by fashizzlepop on Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:41 pm
([msg=76052]see Re: Ideas anyone?![/msg])

That whole system of being un-authed needs fixing. Thanks for reminding me.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by hellow533 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:03 pm
([msg=76056]see Re: Ideas anyone?![/msg])

On the topic of tutorials, how about network challenges? Connect to network, use x program (like tcpdump) for x, use a fake backtrack or nmap or w/e it might be to do whatever challenge you have in mind. I think networking should be a part of HTS, considering it's an extremely major part of penetration testing.
“Teach me how to hack!”
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fashizzlepop on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:17 pm
([msg=76088]see Re: Ideas anyone?![/msg])

BUMPPPPPPP

Also, if you find dead links, bad content, or weird, outdated stuff, post it here!!!

If anyone is willing to go through the Useful Stuff page and find newer, updated material to replace some of the tools there, it would be much appreciated.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Next

Return to Extended Basics