Javascript for beginers

Learn the basics of how to exploit JavaScript.

Javascript for beginers

Post by acantho on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:40 am
([msg=41491]see Javascript for beginers[/msg])

I'm a long way off before I get on to the javascrpt missions, but... I picked up a book (for free)
JavaScript A beginers Guide 3rd edition by John Pollock on first glance it seems a decent read and there are some practice "missions" in it and a self test quiz at the end of each chapter.

Just wondering what people thought of this book ? if anyone has came accross it that is.
Probably available in your school/college/uni/local library, might be worth a look for those just starting in to the javascript missions.
acantho
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Javascript for beginers

Post by sanddbox on Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:51 pm
([msg=41493]see Re: Javascript for beginers[/msg])

I don't care enough about javascript to read an entire book about it. You'll be able to do the Javascript missions without any books. It only requires a little common sense and a small amount of googling.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Vulpine on Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:21 pm
([msg=41499]see Re: Javascript for beginers[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:I don't care enough about javascript to read an entire book about it. You'll be able to do the Javascript missions without any books. It only requires a little common sense and a small amount of googling.

^^ This.

I had never looked at JS before doing any of those missions and knocked them all out in very short order. The most basic understanding of programming logic is all you need to pass them.
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Post by 0xBEEF1337 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:48 pm
([msg=41502]see Re: Javascript for beginers[/msg])

Delete.
Last edited by 0xBEEF1337 on Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0xBEEF1337
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by cen on Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:21 pm
([msg=41505]see Re: Javascript for beginers[/msg])

0xBEEF1337 wrote:Are you guys talking about the basic missions? I never once had to write a single line of js and did all of them in probably under half an hour... Learn to google chrome & ctrl+shift+i

Which is exactly why you'll likely remain a Pentitioner....???

Javascript is an extremely useful scripting language - You've likely missed out on a lot of the basics already... And clearly missed the point of the missions... I literally used Javascript injection for a ridiculous amount of missions on this site, and I'm far from a Javascript expert... Javascript just made it fast and easy....

I've never used Google Chrome (it's just a modified version of IE anyway - likely to resemble FF) and after a quick search on what CTRL+SHIFT+I did, it's obvious you're basically using the equivalent of Firefox with addons - As many here also do, and likewise tend to miss the point as well... That's what makes what we call a script kiddie... Don't get me wrong, these addons are handy and can certainly speed things up - But if you can't do it without the tools, then you've missed the boat... And the point of the missions.

I would certainly recommend a good book on Javascript - There are many out there, and most are the same, but as sanddbox mentioned, usually (with at least a minor programming background knowledge, especially if in C) a quick google search will resolve most of your questions - However a good book/reference that's focused around Javascript AND DOM can be quite handy at times. I'd aim for a book like that if you insist on using one. I have a few Javascript books and the one I have that integrates JS & DOM is the only useful one I have IMO.
cen
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by tgoe on Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:28 pm
([msg=41508]see Re: Javascript for beginers[/msg])

IMHO, JavaScript is quite likely the present and future "language to know". JavaScript is *everywhere*. People who have zero interest in programming are even using it thanks to the browser. And it's only a matter of time before JavaScript breaks away from the browser in a meaningful and popular way. There's already Node.js, wxJavaScript, jslibs (awesome), QtScript, Gjs, kjs, widget runtimes, JScript... on and on...
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by msbachman on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:02 pm
([msg=41511]see Re: Javascript for beginers[/msg])

Here's another book thooks good for those interested http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3243369/JavaScript_The_Definitive_Guide

If you're just interested in javascript for the missions, I'd just pull up something like w3schools. I also really enjoy the tizag tutorials in general (didn't use it for javascript though) http://www.tizag.com/javascriptT/

Chances are, like others have said, the missions won't need in depth knowledge. I remember having about a month working with javascript (just the basics) under my belt and knocking out three or four missions in a day or something. It's probably harder/easier for you (individual differences).

If you're just getting into programming/scripting javascript is not a horrible choice but imo not the best option. I might suggest PHP instead. Or C. This of course assumes that you know html of course; if you choose PHP you can do things like echo out HTML and then process it with PHP when it's posted back to the server. javascript's all client-side. I think the PHP/HTML combination works out very well because each half works synergistically with the other.

my 2 cents.
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 0xBEEF1337 on Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:57 pm
([msg=41573]see Re: Javascript for beginers[/msg])

Delete.
Last edited by 0xBEEF1337 on Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0xBEEF1337
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by sanddbox on Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:07 pm
([msg=41574]see Re: Javascript for beginers[/msg])

Google Chrome is nothing like IE. The security is excellent and it's blazing fast.

Anyways, on to the above post. I agree with most of what you said, but I would wholeheartedly disagree with your assertion that the mission aren't useful for learning. Sure, they might not be useful to the people that cheat on them (who aren't hacker material anyway), but they're definately a good way to learn. The missions themselves aren't what teach you; it's the googling/reading you do to complete them that teaches you. How does that one saying go? "What is important is not the destination, but the journey" or something like that. I'm probably mutilating the quote but I'm sure you get the gist of it.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by 0xBEEF1337 on Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:16 pm
([msg=41577]see Re: Javascript for beginers[/msg])

Delete.
Last edited by 0xBEEF1337 on Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0xBEEF1337
Experienced User
Experienced User

Next

Return to Javascript