Steganography FAQ/Mission Help

Find what's hiding in plain sight

Re: Steganography FAQ/Mission Help

Post by aNewHobby4me on Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:34 pm
([msg=18048]see Re: Steganography FAQ/Mission Help[/msg])

crayaku wrote: i was looking up null bytes

in the url box at the end of the html i typed %01 %02 %03 %04 %05 and i end up with     

are thos null bytes????

You *are* kidding, aren't you?
"To understand recursion you must first understand recursion."
aNewHobby4me
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by crayaku on Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:17 am
([msg=18080]see Re: Steganography FAQ/Mission Help[/msg])

aNewHobby4me wrote:

in the url box at the end of the html i typed %01 %02 %03 %04 %05 and i end up with     

are thos null bytes????

:oops: no im not lol but for thos who dont no can you tell them thx's
i cant find eney thing about that in google when i look it up
i did find some text on null %00 %01 %02 %03 %04 %05 ect but it did not make eney sence

i falt 2 null bytes was %11 or %02 but we all get some things wrong.
crayaku
New User
New User

Post by Defience on Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:08 pm
([msg=18100]see Re: Steganography FAQ/Mission Help[/msg])

crayaku wrote:
aNewHobby4me wrote:

are thos null bytes????

:oops: no im not lol but for thos who dont no can you tell them thx's
i cant find eney thing about that in google when i look it up
i did find some text on null %00 %01 %02 %03 %04 %05 ect but it did not make eney sence

i falt 2 null bytes was %11 or %02 but we all get some things wrong.

No those are not null bytes but google could probably tell you what is.
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by crayaku on Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:00 pm
([msg=18127]see Re: Steganography FAQ/Mission Help[/msg])

lol in a preveos post i found some of them thing, google wont find eney thing on it can eney one hit me for that
moo is a Bot on HackThisSite
crayaku
New User
New User

Post by Arrexel on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:11 pm
([msg=22171]see Re: Steganography FAQ/Mission Help[/msg])

Well, instead of just giving you a link to an article that someone else has written (although there are likely many good ones out there ~ haven't looked at any of the ones already posted, either), I'll give you the lowdown on some methods of stego.

As someone mentioned earlier, steganography is the act of hiding something within something else. For example, they would inscribe text into wood and cover it with wax to hide it. As for modern day digital images, the ARGB values of a pixel in an image can be shifted to encode a character. ARGB stands for Alpha, Red, Green, Blue. Each pixel in an image is composed of these values. As I can imagine you know what red, green, and blue are, alpha... maybe not so. Alpha is the transparency. Along with RGB, it ranges from 0 to 255. 0 is completely transparent, and 255 is opaque.

In a single pixel, you can change each ARGB value by one or two, without much notice. Personally, I leave the Alpha value at a maximum change of 1, as it shifts the visual appearance more than the other values. If you were to change each value by 1, you are able to encode a 16-bit character encoded into binary in a single pixel. With 2 pixels, you can encode any character on the ASCII chart. If you are bold, and depending on the image, you can change the RGB values by 2. However, after an extremely closer look, they are slightly apparent if compared to unaltered groups of pixels. It all depends on the image you are encoding the message into.

In one example of extreme image encoding (I believe I saw this on Wikipedia, if my memory proves faithful), someone encoded the ARGB values of one image... into another image. That's right, someone hid a picture in a picture.

Another example, if you have seen the Davinci(spelt wrong) Code, would be the writing on the Mona Lisa that only appears if a florescent light is shone on it.

-- Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:15 pm --

Wow, my post is incredibly out of date... a year and two days, to be exact. You likely read about all that jazz somewhere else by now. Oh well, maybe it will help others that want to learn.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Unverified Quote, 1945 - Thomas J. Watson, Founder of IBM
Arrexel
New User
New User

Post by Pur33vil on Wed May 13, 2009 6:46 pm
([msg=23670]see Re: Steganography FAQ/Mission Help[/msg])

can we use photoshop :mrgreen:
Pur33vil
New User
New User

Post by Defience on Thu May 14, 2009 8:49 am
([msg=23693]see Re: Steganography FAQ/Mission Help[/msg])

Pur33vil wrote:can we use photoshop :mrgreen:

Of course you can and it comes in handy for some of the stego missions but not for all because there are so many different methods of hiding messages.
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by Z-TFU on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:54 am
([msg=44592]see Re: Steganography FAQ/Mission Help[/msg])

I have an account on Photobucket, and I was using that for my editing. I deleted the pictures after I fucked with them.

any suggestions on any software I could get to convert images to binary or hex?
Z-TFU
New User
New User

Post by atzame on Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:32 pm
([msg=46523]see Re: Steganography FAQ/Mission Help[/msg])

One program that is good for hex editing is hex editor Neo(http://www.hhdsoftware.com/free-hex-editor). I'm not sure if you'll need it for this one though. I think I kinda understand whats going on with this one but I'm not sure. Is the steg applied to just a certain part of the pic or the whole thing. I've also combined using Paint with Instant eyedropper to find some off areas and finding their values. Am I going in the right direction or should I look at something else?
atzame
New User
New User

Post by sangetsu on Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:51 pm
([msg=52252]see Re: Steganography FAQ/Mission Help[/msg])

hello all

i've been going at these stegomissions for a while now. solved some but most of that was by accident. I'm a total newb at this.
i've read trough most of the stegothreads and although some of the hints proved to be very usefull , most of them left me even more clueless....
I know there's a ton of types of steganography out there... there's more invented everyday probably i dunno. but what i'd like to see is not see the answers but like a pattern or series of steps that an experienced cryptographer uses to solve the riddles...

to show an example:
1. download the image
2. open in photoshop and check for layers
3. open it in a hex editor and check for binary code or even the password or hash and put that in a cracker
4. open it in different formats, even a zip, jpg, bmp, png or word document
etc

that's most of my knowledge i've used so far.
but i know there's more.... can someone show me and other starters their way of working down to a solution? don't give examples that are on HTS since that'll be edited anyway.

I'd appreciate the help bacause i'm so focused on getting those riddles solved I slack at work thinking about them

cheers

izzy
sangetsu
New User
New User

Previous

Return to Steganography