"0xED" is a great hex editor for OSX.
Wells
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Stego 1

Post by rotkreiger on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:51 pm
([msg=54570]see Re: Stego 1[/msg])

Lol, I'm tired of staring into hex, found a tutorial for stego, and using an editor, but its all about the hex being switches with the hex being used to place binary secretly in the picture. Lol, Going off that I found some differences and am trying to work from there, have no idea about the whole 2 null bytes thing I see plenty of spots where the hex representation of null is present according to the translation bs sites. The thing is, is i'm either way close or way off, either way, I know how to set up my own stego bmp's real nice now lol...
"The power of rulers lies in their laws. Break their laws and they have no power."
rotkreiger
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:48 am
([msg=54579]see Re: Stego 1[/msg])

rotkreiger wrote:Lol, I'm tired of staring into hex, found a tutorial for stego, and using an editor, but its all about the hex being switches with the hex being used to place binary secretly in the picture. Lol, Going off that I found some differences and am trying to work from there, have no idea about the whole 2 null bytes thing I see plenty of spots where the hex representation of null is present according to the translation bs sites. The thing is, is i'm either way close or way off, either way, I know how to set up my own stego bmp's real nice now lol...

Well i just completed the mission. After your post i realized i hadn't done it yet so it made me want to complete it. There's plenty of spots where you see two null bytes, but there are two really obvious ones.
I would have never got this without the thread for it. That whole missing thing was a bitch. I did more of a brute forcing type of thing.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by gsingh2011 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:36 pm
([msg=55764]see Re: Stego 1[/msg])

I finally solved this one, and I have to say this is one of my favorite missions. Once you find the data using the two null bytes hint, just look at what kind of steganography techniques are used and it should be clear (there's even an article on the site about stego that's helpful).

My question is that there are so many possibilities at the end when you need to replace "what's missing". I just tried them all and got it, but is there a way to know based on the clues? If you can't answer here because of spoilers, can someone PM me about it?
gsingh2011
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:59 pm
([msg=55765]see Re: Stego 1[/msg])

gsingh2011 wrote:I finally solved this one, and I have to say this is one of my favorite missions. Once you find the data using the two null bytes hint, just look at what kind of steganography techniques are used and it should be clear (there's even an article on the site about stego that's helpful).

My question is that there are so many possibilities at the end when you need to replace "what's missing". I just tried them all and got it, but is there a way to know based on the clues? If you can't answer here because of spoilers, can someone PM me about it?

Yeah i was thinking the same thing. I don't think there was any way to know without just trying random ones. But i could be wrong.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by crazy6ug on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:34 am
([msg=55970]see Re: Stego 1[/msg])

hi friends.. i've tried almost everything for this stego mission like converting hex into text or editing hex..but no success!!!
the only hint given is '2 null bytes'.. i found those two null bytes, but now i have no idea wat next to do..
can any head me in right direction.. or u can even PM me.. thanx in advance..
Dont Learn To Hack.
Hack To Learn.
crazy6ug
New User
New User

Post by oddthingy on Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:19 am
([msg=61093]see Re: Stego 1[/msg])

Hi all.
This is my first post on the hackthissite forums ;).

I've been working on Stego 1 for two days this time... tricky... but I think I'm *finally* on the right track.

My question is, can I assume that the missing piece is in a certain one?
Someone else wrote that the answer would start with *f... can anyone tell me if that is right or wrong?
I am getting quite a few codes starting with *f, all wrong so far.

Sorry for the 'spoiler', I don't think anyone would understand it anyway unless they're already at this point.

p.s. Done it now...
Edited to remove spoilers --mShred
oddthingy
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:53 am
([msg=61094]see Re: Stego 1[/msg])

^My advice to you would be to test them all out. That's what i did. It's annoying, but accurate.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by iEpIc221 on Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:53 am
([msg=62320]see Re: Stego 1[/msg])

I typed in this:http://www.hackthissite.org/missions/playit/stego/1/NULL and it was a correct URL, is this any thing to do with the hint/challenge?
iEpIc221
New User
New User

Post by edone automaton on Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:06 am
([msg=62922]see Re: Stego 1[/msg])

Much as it pains me, it's time to ask for help....

I pasted my string of digits into one of those online converters and was given an error because what I entered was not divisible by 8. So I'm thinking that this is the missing thing mentioned earlier?
A logical place to put the missing digit would be the start or end so I did, and came up with a six character string that made sense. wasn't correct though, so I started working my way through methodically, one place at a time with each of the two digits. There were several results that looked promising, but no joy.

Am I moving in the right direction?

I have tried to be reasonably vague and unspoilerific, sorry if I have failed.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
-Bruce Lee
edone automaton
Poster
Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Steganography