Stego 1

Find what's hiding in plain sight

Re: Stego One

Post by Two-Bits on Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:16 pm
([msg=4206]see Re: Stego One[/msg])

I'm at the point where I have the encoded message, I just cannot seem to find any suitable way to decode it. For those using hex editors, you *can* get the message that way, but i find it to be slightly more difficult. The same hint "two null bytes" can be applied to manipulating the image itself, graphically. If you need any more of a hint in that direction, I suggest trying Stego 3 first. These missions are by no means ordered by difficulty!

Having said that, can any nudge me in the correct direction as to how to decode the encoded message? Perhaps in PM? I can describe the various methods I've already tried...
Two-Bits
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by BhaaL on Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:47 am
([msg=4261]see Re: Stego One[/msg])

If you took the hint the right way, and found the position, you should notice that it looks familiar. But you also notice that one thing is missing...
BhaaL
Poster
Poster

Post by crypto_magnum on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:03 am
([msg=4428]see Re: Stego One[/msg])

BhaaL wrote:If you took the hint the right way, and found the position, you should notice that it looks familiar. But you also notice that one thing is missing...

Trouble is, I don't know what to do with that one thing. I tried filling it in with a guess, placing it at the end, placing it in the front, flipping everything and doing it all again-- all eight attempts failed.

My next move is to try different ways of translating the data. My problem is that I don't know if I should be trying to fill in that "missing" value. I'm hoping I don't have to try each translation scheme eight times.
crypto_magnum
New User
New User

Post by BhaaL on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:34 am
([msg=4433]see Re: Stego One[/msg])

crypto_magnum wrote:
BhaaL wrote:If you took the hint the right way, and found the position, you should notice that it looks familiar. But you also notice that one thing is missing...

Trouble is, I don't know what to do with that one thing. I tried filling it in with a guess, placing it at the end, placing it in the front, flipping everything and doing it all again-- all eight attempts failed.

Theres more than eight possibilities - at least if you tried like i think you did.
BhaaL
Poster
Poster

Post by crypto_magnum on Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:11 pm
([msg=4480]see Re: Stego One[/msg])

BhaaL wrote:Theres more than eight possibilities - at least if you tried like i think you did.

Hmm... that's curious. I'm pretty sure there are only eight the way I did it. What it looks like to me is that the encrypted data is very similar to another stego mission, except that a little bit of information is missing. Adding the missing piece of information to either the front or back of the data gives 2 possibilities. Guessing the value of the missing information gives 2 possibilities. Reversing the value of all pieces of information or leaving them as I originally interpreted them gives 2 possibilities. 2*2*2 = 8 possibilities... unless I need to insert it in the middle somewhere, in which case, I'll have to write a program to do it (but I doubt this was intended).

Perhaps I've already made too many assumptions though. I was so excited that it looked like another stego mission, maybe I'm trying too hard to force the data to fit. I'm just not sure if my efforts should be focused on trying to fill in the seemingly missing piece, or if I should move on to other methods of translation with the data I have.
crypto_magnum
New User
New User

Post by BhaaL on Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:58 am
([msg=4512]see Re: Stego One[/msg])

crypto_magnum wrote:unless I need to insert it in the middle somewhere, in which case, I'll have to write a program to do it (but I doubt this was intended).

Indeed, Tiksi forgot something by mistake. But when the first people solved it anyways, it stayed in there (or better, did not get in) as additional challenge.
BhaaL
Poster
Poster

Post by int3grate on Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:58 pm
([msg=4539]see Re: Stego One[/msg])

I get a password like the following:

8f*****

Is this even remotely correct?
int3grate
New User
New User

Post by BhaaL on Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:21 am
([msg=4602]see Re: Stego One[/msg])

int3grate wrote:Is this even remotely correct?

It is remotely close.
BhaaL
Poster
Poster

Post by crypto_magnum on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:59 pm
([msg=4618]see Re: Stego One[/msg])

BhaaL wrote:Indeed, Tiksi forgot something by mistake. But when the first people solved it anyways, it stayed in there (or better, did not get in) as additional challenge.

What a tricky little mission that was! The twist was a bit confusing (pun intended), but I think it's a good extra challenge. BhaaL, thanks for taking the time to help.
crypto_magnum
New User
New User

Post by chambers on Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:11 pm
([msg=4802]see Re: Stego One[/msg])

That was definitely tough, but fun. I got the opportunity to work on some of my php skills, which is always good. But whether or not it was actually necessary is up for debate, as I'm sure there are easier ways to do it than I did... On to number 2! Thanks to Bhaal for the assistance.
chambers
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Steganography