Stego 5

Find what's hiding in plain sight

Re: stego 5 work?

Post by dsurge on Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:01 pm
([msg=18359]see Re: stego 5 work?[/msg])

so... i get the values from the hex of the bitmap

but i dont know how to interpret them. i doubt converting them to ascii based only on the hex values is gonna work-- because if those values were changed by the steganographer to represent ascii, the color or those particular p*x**s would stick out.

so somehow i have to interpret the changes to those values as some kind of message. but i cant seem to figure it out. any advice? (and how did people conclude that t**/*p has anything to do with this?)
dsurge
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by BhaaL on Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:12 pm
([msg=18371]see Re: stego 5 work?[/msg])

If you did it right, you can read a part of it. Knowing what it is, you'd find the link to t**/*p, yet you might not find the answer.
However, you should know what to do once you end up with garbage.
BhaaL
Poster
Poster

Post by KyleAnderson on Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:12 pm
([msg=19833]see Re: stego 5 work?[/msg])

Ok, well I've got the raw binary (or all permutations of it), and there is the two pieces, one some text that everyone here can confirm is NOT the answer, and then the piece of garbage. (Apparently related to t**/*p)
Well it looks like there are 16 bits of info in the garbage, maybe some extra zero's.

10000000 ******** ******** ********

Is this an *p a******?

128.***.*.**

I've tried all combos, not the answer either. Can someone steer me in the right direction?

Kyle
KyleAnderson
New User
New User

Post by Defience on Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:09 am
([msg=19860]see Re: stego 5 work?[/msg])

KyleAnderson wrote:Ok, well I've got the raw binary (or all permutations of it), and there is the two pieces, one some text that everyone here can confirm is NOT the answer, and then the piece of garbage. (Apparently related to t**/*p)
Well it looks like there are 16 bits of info in the garbage, maybe some extra zero's.

10000000 ******** ******** ********

Is this an *p a******?

128.***.*.**

I've tried all combos, not the answer either. Can someone steer me in the right direction?

Kyle

It is not an ip address and you should have much more info than what you have.
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by DrakierD on Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:35 pm
([msg=22399]see Re: stego 5 work?[/msg])

I'm not completely sure I know where to start with this one.

I know which pixels have changed, and I know HOW they changed. I'm not sure I understand how to interpret that change in order to re-create the data.

I've read up on steganography and understand all the concepts (conceptually), but when it comes to how the data is "hidden" in this case, I'm not sure I understand how the bits are altered to store the data. Is there anything someone recommends to get a better understanding of this type of steganography more on an implementation level, or something that clearly demonstrates/shows how one goes about hiding the data in a steganographic image such as this one.

I'm not looking for the answer, or a hand-hold through it. I just see the data, but don't know how to correctly interpret it. Perhaps if I saw a working implementation, or a site that explains it, I could work off that and use it.

As you can see from my profile, I'm much better at programming and reverse engineering than I am at steganography =]
DrakierD
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Sekkite on Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:55 am
([msg=22555]see Re: stego 5 work?[/msg])

Look for a pattern.
Sekkite
New User
New User

Post by zorbec on Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:18 pm
([msg=22562]see Re: stego 5 work?[/msg])

I'm also having a hard time with this one. At least, I would like to know whether I have found
all the data (an odd number of bits, which perhaps should be arranged as a square array ?)...
zorbec
New User
New User

Post by Sekkite on Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:17 pm
([msg=22754]see Re: stego 5 work?[/msg])

There is something you can do to the picture to tell you where the pointer is. You'll know what it is when you see it.
Sekkite
New User
New User

Post by Anon1576 on Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:00 pm
([msg=26829]see Re: stego 5 work?[/msg])

Ok, so i was unable to do steg 1, i didnt attempt steg 2, i succesfully completed 3 and 4, but 5 has got me so stumped, i tried not using the forums at first, which ended up in me getting the code off the picture and converting it to hex and trying to find it within the hex of the picture, but that failed, so now im stumped, i have no idea what to try from now, i've been at it all night, its frustrating me, any tips, pointers? someone wanna push me in the right direction because im pretty sure that the direction im going in right now is fail.

thanks
Anon1576
New User
New User

Post by karunkun on Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:18 am
([msg=28433]see Re: stego 5 work?[/msg])

So. I found the pattern. I found where the pattern wasn't. I used that to come up with a little under 9 bytes and appended to make an even 9 (I assumed that the last bit was part of it, even though it seemed to fit the pattern). I can clearly make out the first 8, but beyond that, I'm lost. Can anyone come up with another of those delightfully cryptic hints to help me figure out what to do with what I found?
I'm usually a friendly sort. Feel free to say hi. =)
karunkun
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Steganography