Stego 5

Find what's hiding in plain sight

Re: Stego 5

Post by sirvanschaik on Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:11 pm
([msg=50901]see Re: Stego 5[/msg])

I am having problems finding all of the data. i know how it is stored (a different one out of three) but i can not seem to find all of them and interpret them correctly. I tried a program that compares groups of three, but all i got were sets of three that were staggered so that the last value of one set is the first value of the next and the last of that group is the first of the next ect. Please help.
sirvanschaik
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by OnlyHuman on Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:23 pm
([msg=50906]see Re: Stego 5[/msg])

sirvanschaik wrote:I am having problems finding all of the data. i know how it is stored (a different one out of three) but i can not seem to find all of them and interpret them correctly. I tried a program that compares groups of three, but all i got were sets of three that were staggered so that the last value of one set is the first value of the next and the last of that group is the first of the next ect. Please help.

It sounds like you have the right data, it's just a matter of interpreting it at this point. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're attempting to consider only the values that are different. That's a fairly good assumption, and I'm sure a lot of us jumped to that conclusion at first, but that's not going to get you the answer. Instead, focus on how all the values of the pixels of interest differ from one another.

Here's an example to illustrate what I mean. If you have something like so...

Code: Select all
0x44 0x45 0x45 0xa2 0xa2 0xa3 0x88 0x89 0x88

Your first thought may be to take 0x44, 0xa3, 0x89, and begin constructing your answer from that. That's not a bad assumption, but it's not the correct one in this case. Look closer. Consider the entire set of values. There's a logical pattern to which ones are different. Find that pattern, and you'll be at the final step. If you're having trouble seeing it, maybe it's because you're thinking in groups of three. Try grouping them differently, see if that helps.
OnlyHuman
Poster
Poster

Post by sirvanschaik on Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:05 pm
([msg=50948]see Re: Stego 5[/msg])

I believe that this has something to do with a very simple number system one with only 2 ( or 10 :) ) numbers. is that close?
sirvanschaik
New User
New User

Post by OnlyHuman on Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:43 pm
([msg=50955]see Re: Stego 5[/msg])

sirvanschaik wrote:I believe that this has something to do with a very simple number system one with only 2 ( or 10 :) ) numbers. is that close?

It's not far. ;) Play around with what you get. Don't be afraid to experiment.
OnlyHuman
Poster
Poster

Post by sirvanschaik on Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:52 pm
([msg=50956]see Re: Stego 5[/msg])

The end was a bit confusing but i got it. Thank you for your help.
sirvanschaik
New User
New User

Post by HTS-Khanz on Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:47 pm
([msg=53933]see Re: Stego 5[/msg])

Ok, so I've gotten to the point where I can see the bits, and I've tried translating them, but they won't go through the translation because I'm missing 1(or 0) somewhere.

It only took me about 20 minutes to get this far, but now I've been here for an hour and a half trying to see past it.

Any hints?
HTS-Khanz
New User
New User

Post by crazy6ug on Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:08 am
([msg=55977]see Re: Stego 5[/msg])

I have no idea wat to do in this stego mission!!
i have completed stego 2,3 and 4.. but am not getting any idea on this one..
i read above post n came to know about a string.. but in hex editor i found many strings.. so which one is the reqd. one?
can someone help me out in this??
Dont Learn To Hack.
Hack To Learn.
crazy6ug
New User
New User

Post by learnzndy on Wed May 23, 2012 10:04 am
([msg=66560]see Re: Stego 5[/msg])

do i have to learn about TCP 3-Way Handshake, iptables and stuff for this mission?
coz i got something like ***-***-* , but thats not the answer, right? i tried to add sh at the end just to make more sense, replaced - with / and space, but no cigar. Any advice?
EDIT: seconds after this post i did it! google suggestions are useful sometimes.
learnzndy
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:18 am
([msg=68706]see Re: Stego 5[/msg])

So before anyone thinks that they do: no, that's not needed. But still, you'll find that knowledge useful for other challenges on this site.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Addict
Addict

Previous

Return to Steganography