Pointers for Programming 3?

Put your programming skills to the test in these challenges.

Pointers for Programming 3?

Post by mgbelisle on Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:03 pm
([msg=35177]see Pointers for Programming 3?[/msg])

Hi,

I am having somewhat of a tough time completing this programming 3 challenge. My first impression was that since the time limit is as long as 120 seconds, it's probably going to need bruteforcing or a dictionary attack, and looking at the encryption algorithm seemed to support that. So I made a little C program to cruch through some dictionaries (please pm me if you want to see it) then tested it on some text encrypted with the original php function. It worked for the test, but even after 80,000,000 lines of dictionary files of digits only, uppercase only, lowercase only, and even this monster one called the argon list, it isn't finding a valid password for the numbers encrypted on the website.

Any pointers? Should I be looking for a way besides bruteforce on this one? Or is my program just slow and I should optimize it more? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mgbelisle

-- Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:19 pm --

Just got it! Wrote the program in python with a new semi-bruteforce algorithm and it was still fast enough. Anybody who really needs help on prog 3, feel free to pm me now.
mgbelisle
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Programming