Programming 8

Put your programming skills to the test in these challenges.

Re: Programming 8

Post by Drone022 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:11 pm
([msg=22262]see Re: Programming 8[/msg])

Did this in Java without any hassle.

Can easily be done in a wide range of languages.

Go for haskell.

Seriously
Drone022
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by dwmead03 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:35 pm
([msg=22270]see Re: Programming 8[/msg])

Defience wrote:I wrote my bot in Python and used mirc to communicate with my bot to complete the challenge.

Ditto. Had commands to make the bot do different stuff.
dwmead03
New User
New User

Post by DemonDomen on Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:03 am
([msg=22366]see Re: Programming 8[/msg])

Just a quick question, how do I register a nickname?

EDIT: Never mind, I asked on irc.
DemonDomen
New User
New User

Post by linkero on Sat May 09, 2009 7:11 pm
([msg=23491]see Re: Programming 8[/msg])

Just completed this mission with a bot coded in php. Only 57 lines long, with comments, and runtime was about 15 seconds from start to finish. So all of you who think you can't do it cause you don't know all the "fancy" languages, just lettin ya know it is possible with php.

Can't wait for the #takeoverz event :D expand my bot a lil
linkero
New User
New User

Post by haha01haha01 on Wed May 20, 2009 9:57 am
([msg=24003]see Re: Programming 8[/msg])

DrakierD wrote:On a side note, it is actually possible to do this in mIRC even though the level says it isn't. It just takes a little something extra. I won't give more hints than that, other than to say it is indeed possible.

personally, if i knew mIRC scripting, i'd packet\memory edit the mIRC client forcing it to fake the version. but im sure theres an easier solution.
There are 11 types of people in the world - those who understand binary, those who don't and those who already heard this joke.
haha01haha01
Poster
Poster

Post by -HellBound on Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:53 am
([msg=25678]see Re: Programming 8[/msg])

Did mine in 28 lines of python. :)

Where can you check to see when the #takeoverz event takes place?
-HellBound
New User
New User

Post by SiWi on Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:27 pm
([msg=26258]see Re: Programming 8[/msg])

Hallo,
I'm a little stuck with that one.
I got my bot so far that it receives !perm8-attack and of course then joins the channel.
The problem is that all my attempts to kick moo fail.
Delays and ip instead of "irc.hackthissite.org" didn't help.
I also paid attetion that the bot doesn't leave the #perm8 channel.
I'm using python+twisted btw.
I guess the problem is that I'm missing the /ns set autoop on thingy.
I couldn't find anything related to that in the twisted irc protocol, so I wonder what the /nc command does.

EDIT: nvm, finished it.
SiWi
New User
New User

Post by _-Enigma-_ on Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:10 pm
([msg=26622]see Re: Programming 8[/msg])

Well i wouldn't really call this a challenge problem, but more of an IRC problem, this is what i get from my bot so far,

Code: Select all
Setting up IRC connection...
Installing handler routines... done.
starting...
Disconnected from irc.hackthissite.org (ERROR :Closing Link: [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] Z:Lined (Open proxy found on your host. http://cbl.abuseat.org/lookup.cgi?ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx for more information.)). Attempting to reconnect...

So...being on a dynamic IP (courtesy of t-mobile crud) it looks like i will never be able to connect directly, so i tried going through tor (via command-line torify etc) and guess what? same as, even all the tor nodes are blocked!

Any suggestions on how i can get around all this CBL rubbish and actually be able to connect and do this challenge? I've visited the URL, and requested the removal of this particular IP, but i excpect that won't even make a difference, as im assigned IP's dynamically and will most likely land on another blocked one. (and no, my ISP won't give me a static IP, courtesy of not being what they call a 'premium' user)

Note: i also get all the above when trying to connect to irc.hackthissite.org through xchat, and i never had any problems before, well...ages ago really, i was on the hts irc quite often in fact.

And i must apologise if parts of my post seem in any way harsh, but i am really frustrated at this point, i have spent countless hours learning the ins and outs of the perl Net:IRC module, and IRC in general, and now i can't even pit my wits against the challenge it was all for. :cry:

[EDIT]
I actually solved it now, and now i have this very warm feeling...lol :D

Turns out, my request for the IP removing from the CBL lists was quicker than i thought it would be, and luckily i was on the same IP when i tried again...so....Challenge Complete!

Also, I'm glad i read this thread before posting, because i too had the issue of 'moo is +q', which was again solved by using that particular IP posted ages ago ;)
[/EDIT]
Shakespeare asked: to be? or not to be? ... that is the question.
Fortunately, computers have given us the answer:
0x2b | ~0x2b = 0xFF
_-Enigma-_
New User
New User

Post by Freedom Jack on Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:50 pm
([msg=53514]see Re: Programming 8[/msg])

I have been on this missions for 100 hours. :) great learning and all that but I'm not sure what exactly moo wants to complete the missions. I just can't kick him. A little hint would be great.
[EDIT]
Anyway. All I need to do is kick moo.
Last edited by Freedom Jack on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Freedom Jack
New User
New User

Post by DrakierD on Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:46 am
([msg=53540]see Re: Programming 8[/msg])

Freedom Jack wrote:I have been on this missions for 100 hours. :) great learning and all that but I'm not sure what exactly moo wants to complete the missions. I just can't kick him. A little hint would be great.

First off, I'd remove the code you pasted as it could be a little misleading, and also possibly too helpful.

Second, I recommend reading the entire thread to problems as a lot of times they contain information helpful to solving the challenge.

In this case, there is a pertinent section that says you need to connect to the same physical IRC server as the bot is. This is because the bot has special access on the IRC server to see when someone tried to kick it. But in order for it to get the message, you have to attempt to kick it from the same server as the bot is on. When I tried it, I believe I used "64.32.24.217" as the connection IP. You should be able to find out however by doing a simple /whois on the bot and looking which server it is connected to. From there, locate the IP, etc.

As far as the mission goes, you must actually attempt to kick the bot. Not msg the bot that you're kicking it, but ACTUALLY kick it.

Good luck.
DrakierD
Experienced User
Experienced User

PreviousNext

Return to Programming