Permanent Programming 2

Put your programming skills to the test in these challenges.

Re: Permanent Programming 2

Post by Nines on Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:02 pm
([msg=5986]see Re: Permanent Programming 2[/msg])

Forreyer wrote:Is the translated morse code supposed to be gibberish or is it an actual word/phrase?

For the life of me I can't see that i've incorrectly coded my utility, I get valid morse code (like: "-... ....- ----- .. ---.. -.- . .-- --.- -.-.") however when it is translated I get gibberish like: "B40I8KEWQC".

Thanks,
Forreyer

It should just be a random string like "B40I8KEWQC"
Nines
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by c4p_sl0ck on Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:50 pm
([msg=5996]see Re: Permanent Programming 2[/msg])

I think I have made the app work correctly but I still get a message that it is wrong. I get an answer which looks like it should according to the previous post but it still won't accept it.
Tried both upper and lower case.

Is there something I have missed?
c4p_sl0ck
New User
New User

Post by Forreyer on Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:05 pm
([msg=6013]see Re: Permanent Programming 2[/msg])

Nines9 wrote:It should just be a random string like "B40I8KEWQC"

Ok, thanks!

Edit: I just completed it! I thought I never would, I still don't know why I wasn't able to do it earlier, maybe I just happened upon an a png image that my utility decoded properly.

c4p_sl0ck: I was trying both upper and lowercase like you, my correct answer was uppercase.
Forreyer
New User
New User

Post by c4p_sl0ck on Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:21 am
([msg=6036]see Re: Permanent Programming 2[/msg])

@Forreyer: Okay. Thanks. I'll keep trying with upper case then. Weird that it suddenly accepted your answer when it hadn't before. :/
c4p_sl0ck
New User
New User

Post by bignatew on Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:58 pm
([msg=6068]see Re: Permanent Programming 2[/msg])

Forreyer wrote:Is the translated morse code supposed to be gibberish or is it an actual word/phrase?

For the life of me I can't see that i've incorrectly coded my utility, I get valid morse code (like: "-... ....- ----- .. ---.. -.- . .-- --.- -.-.") however when it is translated I get gibberish like: "B40I8KEWQC".

Thanks,
Forreyer

yes, gibberish
bignatew
New User
New User

Post by rangarkash on Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:23 am
([msg=6131]see Re: Permanent Programming 2[/msg])

MrRubix wrote:You just use what's visually given to you. The distances translate to ASCII values which are then translated into their corresponding characters, and then you convert that as morse code into an alphanumeric phrase.

I gathered as much so far. Would you please tell me a way to parse through the pixels, rather than decoding the file and parsing "manually"?
rangarkash
New User
New User

Post by sharpskater69 on Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:41 pm
([msg=6169]see Re: Permanent Programming 2[/msg])

What does "parse through the pixels" mean? Loop? Get RGB value? Don't know what you mean by 'manually'. The whole idea is to write something to do this. Every white one = its position in the image going from left to right, top to bottom, remember that.
For every one after the first, it equals itself minus the position of the previous white one. (All of them should be 32, 45, or 46 pixels apart because of "-", ".", and " ")

Say what language etc.
sharpskater69
New User
New User

Post by c4p_sl0ck on Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:31 pm
([msg=6188]see Re: Permanent Programming 2[/msg])

"Parse through the pixels" means that you should step through the pixels, so yeah - a loop.

Which language is up to you. :)
c4p_sl0ck
New User
New User

Post by rangarkash on Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:03 pm
([msg=6271]see Re: Permanent Programming 2[/msg])

Let's see if I can manage to convey my dilemma. The image file is in a .png format, therefore, and please correct me if my reasoning is wrong, reading it byte(s) per byte(s) would return not a conveniently simplified RGB value per pixel, but information pertaining the encoded image. Now, I'm not sure if the objective is to quickly convert the file into a raw format, run it through the app and get the nice morse code, but the somewhat short time to deliver a password hints otherwise. Trying to decode the file is proving a complicated task, since the instructions I found about the format are confusing, to say the least. So, is there a simple way to get those tasty pixels from the picture, or will I have to brace myself to decode the file? And if the later, can someone give me a few pointers?
rangarkash
New User
New User

Post by c4p_sl0ck on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:46 pm
([msg=6325]see Re: Permanent Programming 2[/msg])

I thought of that as well. I programmed this app in Visual Studio which supports PNG format. And my result looked resonable so I thought it was working. But apparantly not, still haven't gotten the right answer.
c4p_sl0ck
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Programming