How can I start learning to hack?

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

How can I start learning to hack?

Post by Cryptic-Wonder on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:27 am
([msg=77220]see How can I start learning to hack?[/msg])

I don't intend to do anything malicious if I am ever to gain the knowledge, I simply do it for educational purposes and to be able to know how to exploit weaknesses if I ever begin to make public apps. I'm an intermediate programmer in C and Python 3, but I still have no knowledge or idea of hacking or breaking into things. I want to be able to learn how to be capable of using a programming language to either hack any sort of game even if it's not on pc like on ps3, and also be capable of knowing (but not necessarily doing so) how to break into systems.
Where do I start with this?
How can I learn stuff like manipulating computers within the same network of myself, but at the same time whilst solely using the two programming language i'm familiar with.
I don't plan to do anything illegal, but I still want to know how to hack more or less anything, as a good programmer must be knowledgeable in all facets of programming- you never know when those skills might be useful. Furthermore, are there certain Python modules or c libraries I can use for this sort of thing, and what else would i need to learn to know web hacking and hacking into hardware or software connected to my network, like my ps3 or my the other desktop computer i have in my house.

This may seem off topic but i simply don't know where on Earth to begin. It confuses me how people like Linus became a renowned hacker, he must have started off somewhere. But where?
Cryptic-Wonder
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How can I start learning to hack?

Post by pretentious on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:28 am
([msg=77224]see Re: How can I start learning to hack?[/msg])

Since you know a bit of C. Let me throw this by you
Code: Select all
#include <stdio.h>
int main(){
char p = 'a';
char b = 'b';
char * ptob = &b;
int n = 541139283;
char * pointer = & p;
while(pointer < &p + 10){
printf("%p %d\n", pointer , (int)*pointer);
pointer ++;
}
return 0;
}

I've actually forgotten what the code was meant to do, really should comment haha. I think i had the idea that since memory is generally written in consecutive bytes, i could overwrite a pointer location to a variable or something, thus the 'magic number'. Actually i just realized that my system is 64 bit and thus i can't replace a pointer with an int. Anyway C and python are good languages to know. Keep it up and become comfortable with the way machines work and stuff. Also, as many peeps here would also reccomend, check out Kali or a similar penetration testing distrobution, take a look at some of the stuff that is used.

From what I've heard, Linus started Linux as a simple hobby and it just so happened that an open source kernal was one of the things the community was really lacking at the time

-- Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:38 am --

Something I just want to add is that there really is no secret list of steps to becomming leet. I recently joined a security club at my university and met a bunch of guys doing security as a major. They had to Learn about programming, unix, network protocals and database stuff just like everyone else. You seem to be interested in programming reverse engineering stuff and network hacking, so look those up and whatever else catches your interest. That's how it's done
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to NZone