Recommend A Python Book To Me!

Discussion about particular books go here.
Forum rules
Please make title book name & author.
Books about computers or hacking get stickied

Recommend A Python Book To Me!

Post by XRahat2011 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:26 am
([msg=69907]see Recommend A Python Book To Me![/msg])

Hello Dear Viewer,
I already know HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, SQL & C/C++ (I am not a master in neither but have competitive knowledge in each of them!). So learning Python won't be a pain but really I have learned all those from "lynda.com" & in 2-3 days I am starting there "Python" tutorials as well but believe me I want to be a master in Python :) ! So I will become a intermediate of Python soon but I want to be a master I wanna be enough able to write a program that comes in my mind easily & hence videos not gonna help me much, I wanna read books that can help me!

Sorry for poor English, my creative writing is sick! :x

Thanks & Best Regards,
Xeeshan Rahat.
My Quote: What Goes UP, Must Come DOWN!
My Signature: Eat Dust!
XRahat2011
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Recommend A Python Book To Me!

Post by weekend hacker on Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:58 am
([msg=70007]see Re: Recommend A Python Book To Me![/msg])

I have this book called "Gray Hat Python - Python Programming for Hackers and Reverse Engineers (2009)" that I have yet to read. Looked promising if not horribly advanced.
Considering the other languages you already know it might be an interesting read to play with several languages at the same time and get a better understanding of all of them.
(side note, I don't python)
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by XRahat2011 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:04 pm
([msg=70011]see Re: Recommend A Python Book To Me![/msg])

weekend hacker wrote:I have this book called "Gray Hat Python - Python Programming for Hackers and Reverse Engineers (2009)" that I have yet to read. Looked promising if not horribly advanced.
Considering the other languages you already know it might be an interesting read to play with several languages at the same time and get a better understanding of all of them.

Ohh, I have already seen it on Amazon & TBH I have ordered it already :) ! I was confuse, if it's good or not but now I am not because I got a new review that says it's good :) Thanks for the advice bro'!

But it still didn't exactly answered my question, I would still like to hear it :mrgreen: !
XRahat2011
New User
New User

Post by pretentious on Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:47 am
([msg=70023]see Re: Recommend A Python Book To Me![/msg])

aren't you the guy that has been warned about the lynda sales pitches? Anyway i think i've seen reccomendations on this site for learn python the hard way so maybe that's worth checkint out too.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by XRahat2011 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:52 am
([msg=70024]see Re: Recommend A Python Book To Me![/msg])

pretentious wrote:aren't you the guy that has been warned about the lynda sales pitches? Anyway i think i've seen reccomendations on this site for learn python the hard way so maybe that's worth checkint out too.

Yes! But don't worry, I am a lot better now! :mrgreen:

OK, Happy News, I have found an online version of that book for free :o !

Thanks for the tip, I went threw it a bit, actually a lot better than others, Thanks Bro'!

http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/

Thanks & Best Regards,
Xeeshan Rahat.
XRahat2011
New User
New User

Post by sam_bwut on Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:53 pm
([msg=71720]see Re: Recommend A Python Book To Me![/msg])

weekend hacker wrote:I have this book called "Gray Hat Python - Python Programming for Hackers and Reverse Engineers (2009)" that I have yet to read. Looked promising if not horribly advanced.

Violent Python is like a more up to date/less focused on the authors own work/ generally awesome book on using python to create tools for a varity of jobs.

par example - A multi threaded hash bruteforcer, a few auto forensics tools for beating down windows registries and some appsec tools stuff.
sam_bwut
New User
New User

Post by Amazingred on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:21 pm
([msg=71722]see Re: Recommend A Python Book To Me![/msg])

Grey Hat Python is pretty good. I just recently read it.

Violent Python is more comprehensive (much more) but its assumed knowledge level is a bit higher than GHP. if you're comfortable already with basic syntax and flow of programming languages Violent Python is the way to go.

I'd read them both tho.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Amazingred
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by cinetech on Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:15 pm
([msg=74865]see Re: Recommend A Python Book To Me![/msg])

Hi there,

I have the O'Reilly bible 'Learning Python 4th edition' http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596158071.do
regurarly buyed and available in pdf to people of this community.

Just write me as private message so I can send.
cinetech
New User
New User

Post by cluele55 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:32 am
([msg=76128]see Re: Recommend A Python Book To Me![/msg])

I know this is a fairly old thread, but just in case anyone else is looking to learn Python....

I learned Python by taking a Harvard computer science course on Ed-Ex. That is an organization made up of Harvard, MIT, and a bunch of other high rated schools that share their classes online. They have cameras set up in their classrooms, so you feel like you're in the class. Additionally, they give you all the reading material, exercises, video tutorials, etc. When you register, you actually turn in your work and in the end, you get a certificate. (This is also how I got started with C programming, through their MIT CS50 class.) It's all free too.

Anyway, I learned the basics of Python from the Harvard class and then went to Youtube and viewed some great tutorials with more real-life examples. (Gotta love modern technology...I also learned to install a car stereo from Youtube).

Now, I have a book called "Violent Python" by T.J. O'Connor, which is pretty good. It's a Python tutorial that focuses on using Python for penetration testing. It's supposed to be good for first-time learning of Python -- so I guess if you're impatient and want to jump straight in, it's good -- but I was more comfortable having learned the basics ahead of time. I have not finished the book, because I'm trying to learn a lot and read a lot all at once, but there is some great content in it.
cluele55
New User
New User

Post by MadnessAndMayhem on Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:28 pm
([msg=78430]see Re: Recommend A Python Book To Me![/msg])

For beginner Python I highly recommend "Hacking Secret Ciphers with Python" by Al Sweigart. It assumes you know absolutely nothing about Python and is a great resource to not only teach you the basics.

A step up from that, once you already know the basics and have some experience, is "Violent Python". I can't recall the author but it teaches you the basics of using Python to make your own network penetration tools. Very informative.

I don't suggest Violent Python to learn Python with, but it's great once you know whats what.
MadnessAndMayhem
New User
New User

Return to Books