App18

Learn to reverse engineer through some common application security methods.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST ANSWERS OR SPOILERS! [IE: Mission Links, Mission File Names/Pages, Scripts/Code, etc.]

Posting these will result in warnings/bans!

Re: App18

Post by BlueCore90 on Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:32 am
([msg=36189]see Re: App18[/msg])

I realy want, thank you :D .... but I have not enough posts atm to send PMs. How many Posts do I need?

EDIT: This was the last missing^^
BlueCore90
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by DrakierD on Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:36 pm
([msg=36221]see Re: App18[/msg])

ok... your file doesn't even work with the App18 exe file. So obviously something is still wrong. Make sure you have the latest App18 file. That would be the first start.

I'll say you're on the right track however. the "contents" of the file are pretty close to what they need to be. There are a couple minor problems with it which when fixed it should work fine. You've definitely accomplished the "hard" part already. You are VERY very very close.

Again.. make sure you have the latest EXE file.. there might be a link to one in this thread.. if not, make sure you get the latest from the website just in case.
DrakierD
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by BlueCore90 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:22 pm
([msg=36263]see Re: App18[/msg])

That's weird. I think I have definitly the right exe (MD5: a236f3ffa4e23d21471c87d9af92ad5e) and it works?! the app starts completly to the textpad with my licence.
BlueCore90
New User
New User

Post by DrakierD on Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:18 pm
([msg=36274]see Re: App18[/msg])

That's what I'm saying is that you have an old version. The file may work with your version of the EXE, but that version has bugs in it and does not work properly.

The version I have has an MD5:47efd08049ec38736c90293f5acea00b and does not work with your license file since the bug that you have in your license file is the same I had in mine initially. That was fixed by NightQuest after I brought it to the attention of the forum.

Edit: I just downloaded the version with MD5:a236f3ffa4e23d21471c87d9af92ad5e and it appears that somehow the changes that were added to fix a bug I brought up was removed. I see that your license file you gave me works with that version of the EXE, however it is not completely accurate as it is missing a major bugfix. In fact, there are some structural differences between the license file for the 47 MD5 version and the a2 MD5 version which I think might account for the failure unless NQ has fixed those in both the downloaded EXE and the WebSite parser.

Edit2: then again, something may just be wrong. I have a valid License file that I passed the challenge with, and opens in both my old exe and the new exe, and the webpage validator still says it is invalid. So my guess is there is something wrong with either the EXE again, the Website, or BOTH!

Just send a message to NightQuest and hopefully you can get the problem resolved. You're definitely on the right track, and although your file was slightly different than mine, except for one section where I think the bug is, you're pretty much the same as what I'd have in mine. So if it doesn't validate, I'm guessing a bug slipped back in somewhere
DrakierD
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by NightQuest on Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:01 am
([msg=36664]see Re: App18[/msg])

Sorry for my afk-ness..

App18 is in a very buggy stage right now, and the current public version was essentially an accident.

the web version seemingly will always have bugs due to arch. differences.
I may end up scraping this mission altogether eventually.

In the mean-time, a working version should be available here.
NightQuest
Developer
Developer

Post by DrakierD on Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:46 pm
([msg=36702]see Re: App18[/msg])

I believe that was the version we were both using to test with, and that version does not work for my username on the website anymore. I've passed the challenge with a previous version, but even that version doesn't seem to work on the website anymore.

I'm not sure what the problem is with the website validator. I'd offer to take a look at it if it could help any, but I don't know if it would or not. I think there is a bug in that version you posted that was fixed in a previous version you gave to me. If you want to know more about it, PM me and I can explain it.
DrakierD
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by damncookiemonster on Sat May 22, 2010 8:42 am
([msg=38912]see Re: App18[/msg])

Hi NightQuest,
My license file works with the most recent version of the application. I worked hard for this.
But it doesn't work when I submit it on the site.
I can't PM you with the license from some reason, can you PM me with your email address or something, so I can send you the license file?
Thanks! :)
damncookiemonster
New User
New User

Post by OnlyHuman on Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:40 pm
([msg=39684]see Re: App18[/msg])

I'm having the exact same problem as everybody else on this one. The license I created works fine for the application, but it's not being accepted by the HTS validator. The MD5 of the app I have is a236f3ffa4e23d21471c87d9af92ad5e, which is the same as the checksum on the application posted by NightQuest. I even ran both the application from the challenge page, and the one posted here to be certain. Does anybody know if a recent bug report has been filed, or is even needed? Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

Nevermind. I just confirmed for myself it's working. This is like the fifth time I've done this. I should probably learn to avoid posting until I've gone over the mission with a scrub brush and made sure I've wiped away all of the excess crumbs. Very nice challenge NightQuest. Thank you.
OnlyHuman
Poster
Poster

Post by UKCrack on Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:55 am
([msg=42982]see Re: App18[/msg])

Ok everyone,
I have managed to solve it with http://www.recelate.net/Files/app18win.zip this exe from Nightquest's files. A few pointers and hints.
Firstly the app cannot be patched/edited/fiddled with, you have to try and figure out how the license file is generated.
The license file has a strict format, and I reccomend a HEX editor to construct it.
Your license should contain your HTS username.
If you have managed to generate a working license, first make sure you are testing it in the newest exe. Then you may need to trim away any unused bytes at the end. You should be able to logically work out how many bytes to be removed.
I managed to solve this in a night, so it isnt that bad.

Thank you for the challenge Nightquest
Basic: Complete
Realistic: Complete
Application: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,14,15,16,17,18
Programming: 1,2,4,11,12
Javascript: Complete
Irc: 1
Extbasic: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,12,13
Stego: 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,13
UKCrack
New User
New User

Post by gpxl on Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:27 pm
([msg=44529]see Re: App18[/msg])

Same problem here!
I made a program to generate license files and the application (a236f3ffa4e23d21471c87d9af92ad5e) opens
for every nick I use. But the website doesn't accept the license file.
I tried to generate a license for dword64 and I also tried to trim the last bytes of the file but it didn't work.
Any ideas?
gpxl
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Application