The First SHA1 Collision

The place for all news posts regarding hacking, activism, and security.

The First SHA1 Collision

Post by mShred on Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:00 am
([msg=93460]see The First SHA1 Collision[/msg])

mShred
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: The First SHA1 Collision

Post by pretentious on Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:55 pm
([msg=93481]see Re: The First SHA1 Collision[/msg])

That moment when Nine quintillion is considered cryptographically weak :P or was that just what it took for the POC?
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Benway101 on Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:43 pm
([msg=93483]see Re: The First SHA1 Collision[/msg])

This is telling me that there will be no hash encryption method that is safe from being decrypted by somebody, whether a hacker or an FBI or CSI agent.
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes - George Santayana
Benway101
New User
New User

Post by pretentious on Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:04 am
([msg=93484]see Re: The First SHA1 Collision[/msg])

Benway101 wrote:This is telling me that there will be no hash encryption method that is safe from being decrypted by somebody, whether a hacker or an FBI or CSI agent.

This is actually why I don't try very hard to secure my shit. If you have information to protect, figure out who wants it and how badly they want it, how much effort they are willing to go to, to get it. Then you can design your security practices around that. If I wanted to keep a secret from every bureaucratic body known to man, regardless of the resources they possess. I would encrypt my stuff with the most secure algorithm I could and they open it up in a hex editor and flip some bits and corrupt it. It's ad hoc 2 factor authentication with plausible deny-ability and with that comes the chance that I myself forget what I did and it's lost forever. I've never tried this or gone beyond speculation because, being honest, I don't really have any secrets worth hiding(This is the part where I get doxed and my life falls apart ;)). And if you do, maybe there's more important things in life bro. Random wall of text, You're all welcome.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Return to Activism and Security News