New Mission Ideas

Learn to recover deleted files, analyze evidence, and see beyond the immediately obvious.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST ANSWERS OR SPOILERS! [IE: Mission Links, Mission File Names/Pages, Scripts, etc.]
Posting these will result in warnings/bans!

New Mission Ideas

Post by limdis on Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:50 pm
([msg=78983]see New Mission Ideas[/msg])

Forensic 1 has gotten a lot of attention! Thank you :geek:
With that I've been getting bombarded with ideas and challenges that some of you would like to see. So, do me a favor and dump them here. A few are already in development and the second should be coming out soon.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: New Mission Ideas

Post by cluele55 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:04 am
([msg=79346]see Re: New Mission Ideas[/msg])

I had a situation once where a coworker was making very uncomfortable and inappropriate comments to me via the company's messaging application. I immediately deleted the messages, because they were gross and I didn't want to be associated with them. When I reported the guy, Human Resources took my computer (issued me a new one) and took his computer (fired him). Since I deleted the messages and was pretty sure he did too, I was worried that all the proof of his behavior was lost, and I wondered how they would retrieve them. It was the first time I was introduced to computer forensics and it really intrigued me.

So I guess my idea is to have a mission where you have to retrieve an inappropriate IM that was deleted from a computer.

Oh also maybe a scenario where someone is missing and we have to search for clues about their whereabouts.

Thanks so much for doing forensics. It's even more fun than hacking.
cluele55
New User
New User

Post by Esqulax on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:59 pm
([msg=81144]see Re: New Mission Ideas[/msg])

I've had a few cases that had some fun aspects.
Some were coupled with stegan stuff, so text stored in a deleted document file at a really tiny font in white.
Find out who stole the USB stick/iPod, based on the registry entries for the time/date of the computer recognising a new device being inserted.
Having a deleted filetype renamed.
Have a file deleted in such a way that the picture has been mostly corrupted, but the EXIF data is still present, including a thumbnail
Geotagging associated with iphone pictures.

I can delete all these later if you want to use them, and not give out hints.
Esqulax
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:12 am
([msg=81160]see Re: New Mission Ideas[/msg])

Or better yet, you could use the PM system next time, no editing necessary then.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tremor77 on Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:42 am
([msg=81162]see Re: New Mission Ideas[/msg])

I think some things perhaps like cracking a password protected spreadsheet or zip to retrieve data within might be interesting.

Also, perhaps some updated web bits, dealing with HTML5, Canvas, NodeJS - I've been trying to think of some specific things, potentially just some skiddie stuff like, erase someone's high score in some silly game, or bust through a poorly designed paywall to get the content of some article you really wanted to read.

It would be interesting to see if we could update some of the "SQL Injection" attacks for new DB structures like MongoDB and NoSQL, see
http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/23734/what-type-of-attacks-can-be-used-vs-mongodb.

I've been dealing a lot with virtualization lately, perhaps a mission that requires the requires mounting of a virtual hard disk in virtualbox, could potentially be loaded with a dozen missions of varying degrees. I haven't looked at the forensics missions yet I'm afraid, but this would be a fun way to frame some.. "this VHD is a snapsot of a so and so's operating system, we believe he's cheating on his really hot and sweet wife with a crack whore, find some evidence".
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Forensic