Forensic Mission 1

Learn to recover deleted files, analyze evidence, and see beyond the immediately obvious.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST ANSWERS OR SPOILERS! [IE: Mission Links, Mission File Names/Pages, Scripts, etc.]
Posting these will result in warnings/bans!

Re: Forensic Mission 1

Post by cyberdrain on Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:00 pm
([msg=79759]see Re: Forensic Mission 1[/msg])

Look harder ;)
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by ANONRA on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:30 pm
([msg=80121]see Re: Forensic Mission 1[/msg])

This mission was so simple I was a bit disappointed. It took very little brain power to complete. Nice idea, shame it was so simple. Looking forward to more on the forensic ilk. :roll: - Happy Hacking!! - :lol:
ANONRA
New User
New User

Post by lonelyshadow on Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:53 pm
([msg=80275]see Re: Forensic Mission 1[/msg])

... I feel very stupid for asking this... but how would I open the .dd file in the attachment? I opened the attachment in WinRAR and there is only the image.dd but I personally have not seen an extension .dd before and reading the rest of this topic I realize I will need to learn quite a bit before I can successfully complete it, but so far I can not find anything to open the file.....(._.") insult as you please... Dx but please help first...
lonelyshadow
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:46 am
([msg=80277]see Re: Forensic Mission 1[/msg])

lonelyshadow wrote:how would I open the .dd file in the attachment? I opened the attachment in WinRAR and there is only the image.dd but I personally have not seen an extension .dd before and reading the rest of this topic I realize I will need to learn quite a bit before I can successfully complete it, but so far I can not find anything to open the file.....(._.")

If you looked at Wikipedia searching for dd, you might have found that it's a Unix utility for creating images. A disk image is a sector-by-sector copy of a storage medium. Now what you have to do in this mission is to find data in the image that the original user thought was removed. I would advice to finish some other missions first before attempting this or better yet, learn some Linux first (maybe it could be done in Windows, idk). It's hard if you've never used it or it's tools.

lonelyshadow wrote:but so far I can not find anything to open the file ...\... insult as you please

I'm guessing you have the wrong idea about this community. A well formulated question about something a person has searched but could not find, is worth a serious reply. Ask people to do something for you however and you'll likely be flamed.
cyberdrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by master2004134 on Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:54 am
([msg=80332]see Re: Forensic Mission 1[/msg])

This was a fun one. Used only Windows tools to grab the password. RAR cracking is *not* needed in this case.

In fact, once recovery was done, it was pretty simple. Everything you need is in the recovered data
master2004134
New User
New User

Post by derAnfaenger on Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:09 am
([msg=80452]see Re: Forensic Mission 1[/msg])

I need some help:
The mission itself is great, but I'm stuck at the part where it says that I should think about "red herring".
Could anybody help me?
derAnfaenger
New User
New User

Post by limdis on Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:36 pm
([msg=80478]see Re: Forensic Mission 1[/msg])

derAnfaenger wrote:I need some help:
The mission itself is great, but I'm stuck at the part where it says that I should think about "red herring".
Could anybody help me?

It means you are on the right track but you need to go deeper...
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by LordSyn on Wed May 07, 2014 8:24 am
([msg=80576]see Re: Forensic Mission 1[/msg])

I'm running through this in my spare time on a windows box I was able to recover the "red herring" ( that would have been too easy) I am now looking in a new location and I'm a bit stumped at the moment. in this location there is a Rar file of 0bytes and some additional stuffz am i looking in the correct direction or am I missing something ?

BTW Thanks for the new challenge limdis
LordSyn
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Wed May 07, 2014 8:54 am
([msg=80577]see Re: Forensic Mission 1[/msg])

LordSyn wrote:In this location there is a Rar file of 0bytes and some additional stuffz am I looking in the correct direction or am I missing something ?

Remember, not all tools produce the same results...
cyberdrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LordSyn on Wed May 07, 2014 12:43 pm
([msg=80582]see Re: Forensic Mission 1[/msg])

cyberdrain wrote:Remember, not all tools produce the same results...

thank you, That helps..

Anyone have a link to a site with window Tool comparisons or would i be better of trying to do this on my Kali box with the previously recommended tool ?
LordSyn
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Forensic