Basic Mission 11

Learn new things
Forum rules
DO NOT POST ANSWERS OR SPOILERS! [IE: Mission Links, Mission File Names/Pages, Scripts, etc.]

Posting these will result in warnings/bans!

Basic Mission 11

Post by limdis on Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:35 pm
([msg=78691]see Basic Mission 11[/msg])

Requirements:
Knowledge of Apache Web Servers

This one is a little bit harder and has a lot of moving parts. You are going to need to not only find the password file, but also locate the login page. A couple of clues: What is a directory index? How does Apache keep users from seeing certain files within a directory?

Good luck!

Do not post spoilers!
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Basic Mission 11

Post by Magnumus Ahri on Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:37 pm
([msg=78694]see Re: Basic Mission 11[/msg])

I am still lost. I have found the login page(had it last night when i posted) but i guess what i need is a proper link to understand Apache, because those hints did nothing for me. I tried entering them into google and i get information, but i do not know how to apply that information. Can I enter it into a form using SSI? or use JS? Just like i asked, before what is .h****** that the other admin tells us we MUST learn about. At least point me in the right direction with a link or 2. And now any hints that were here have been deleted leaving me with nothing.

Ill say it again, "Pinball Wizard" is by The Who, Not a certain well known homosexual artist, who only covered it.
Magnumus Ahri
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:58 pm
([msg=78695]see Re: Basic Mission 11[/msg])

Think about how music sites are laid out. Not new stuff like SoundCloud, but way back when. Put your 2001 cap on and think like a web admin. How would you organize music so you can find what you want quickly? How would you do this if searching wasn't that well-designed yet?

And the reason for deleting the old threads is one I do not know, but hopefully a mod will come along to clear that up.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Magnumus Ahri on Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:05 pm
([msg=78696]see Re: Basic Mission 11[/msg])

The only problem with that is that in 2001 i was 15 and never visited Music sites, this is my first experience with anything related to this subject. I have no idea how music sites used to be laid out, let alone SoundCloud. I would love to think like an a web admin but i have no experience doing as such and have no idea where to start.
Magnumus Ahri
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:10 pm
([msg=78697]see Re: Basic Mission 11[/msg])

Okay, so think of it another way:

You have a bunch of songs by various artists. They are all in one big folder and you want to sort them to be easily searchable. How do you do it? Let's say you have Enya, Eminem, Enrique Iglesias, and Erasure. Admittedly this is a weird collection but bear with me. What do they have in common? How might that help you sort them?
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Magnumus Ahri on Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:50 pm
([msg=78698]see Re: Basic Mission 11[/msg])

i guess I'm just missing something. If it were me each would have there own folder, put in order by there last name(if possible) or there single name, alphabetically. BTW I think i get what your hinting at, i know the name of the artists being referred to here in the names of the songs, and i understand how it fits with a/b/c/d/. But i still have no idea where to even begin to go from there.

also i would prefer, Eagles,Elton John, Earth Wind and Fire, and Electric Light Orchestra. ;) see what i did there?

BTW thank you very much Goatboy for working with me, i can be a bit of a pain.
Magnumus Ahri
New User
New User

Post by limdis on Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:59 pm
([msg=78700]see Re: Basic Mission 11[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:And the reason for deleting the old threads is one I do not know, but hopefully a mod will come along to clear that up.

mShred made this announcement earlier. The threads were messy, full of old dead links and far too many spoilers. We also wanted to encourage additional forum activity.

Magnumus Ahri, I believe you are really close. You are just lost at the .h******s part. You very well might be in the correct directory that have files that you just can't see. How does Apache keep users from seeing files within a directory? If you didn't want someone to see a certain files you'd first have to make up a list so you know which files are to be hidden. That "list" would have to be somewhere. You'll have to do a bit more googling and figure out what a .h******s is and how you could use it to your advantage.
So; hidden files, list of those files, apache server... Go.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by Magnumus Ahri on Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:34 pm
([msg=78701]see Re: Basic Mission 11[/msg])

Limdis, thank you for this,

You'll have to do a bit more googling and figure out what a .h******s is and how you could use it to your advantage.
So; hidden files, list of those files, apache server... Go.

This led me to figure out what .h*****s is, i simply don't know how to use it... yet. The growing migraine in my head says I need a break, before i hurt myself. It seems the left side of my brain has a long ways to catch up to the right side, and refuses to be pushed there.

Thanks for the help, both of you!
Magnumus Ahri
New User
New User

Post by Zeal514 on Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:47 pm
([msg=78702]see Re: Basic Mission 11[/msg])

So I got as far as the password directory, and figuring out the abc stuff. Im guessing its using a "access" just what im gathering from apache.... (you'll know what I mean if im on the right track, trying to not give out any spoilers.)

I just dont understand how I would find the access.any hints?

edited by limdis
Zeal514
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:53 pm
([msg=78703]see Re: Basic Mission 11[/msg])

Magnumus and Zeal, how do you view any other file on a website? Should this one be any different? If you can take a look at it, something in there should stick out.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Basic