Basic Mission 10

Learn new things
Forum rules
DO NOT POST ANSWERS OR SPOILERS! [IE: Mission Links, Mission File Names/Pages, Scripts, etc.]

Posting these will result in warnings/bans!

Re: Basic Mission 10

Post by enrajb on Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:08 pm
([msg=81291]see Re: Basic Mission 10[/msg])

Tentra wrote:
enrajb wrote:If so, these types of missions need a nice, fat, flashing red warning saying USING DEVELOPER TOOLS IS CHEATING

Who said that?

Well, I don't know, that's why I qualified the statement with "If so".
I just get the feeling that using developer tools in a browser is kinda like using debug tools in a videogame.

cyberdrain wrote:This has been said a lot of times, but I'll say it again: it's not using tools that's the problem, it's using tools without knowing what they do or how they work. <br><br>If all you can do is press a button to hack something, you might as well train a monkey to do it for you. If on the other hand you know why the tool does what it does and how it works and optionally (dare I say it) you could even code it yourself, then you've learnt something, which is the point.

The thing about these tools is, I solved Mission 5 completely oblivious to the fact that referrers came into play. I feel like I missed something, and would have just gone on missing it if I hadn't looked here. Referrers never even crossed my mind; I was hunting through the source for a CSRF token to check if that's what the "added security" was supposed to be.

cyberdrain wrote:This can be tested for pretty easily: do you know what a referer is now and how they work and more importantly how and why they sometimes don't when you're messing with them?

Well, yeah, I could have done the mission just as well with curl once I knew referrers were a factor.

The thing is, limdis up above mentions things like "injection" and "tools=temptation", which gave me the feeling that there was supposed to be some site vulnerability that lets us run javascript without using the developer toolbar. I guess the toolbar doesn't count, then, since browsers can do whatever they want with the webpages they get (just like my ISP!).
enrajb
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by TistleTastle on Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:11 am
([msg=81293]see Re: Basic Mission 10[/msg])

Just wanna say that a SUPPEEEERRR awesome site that I used is http://www.thisislegal.com/tutorials/7

Kick butt you guys!
TistleTastle
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:40 pm
([msg=81315]see Re: Basic Mission 10[/msg])

enrajb wrote:The thing is, limdis up above mentions things like "injection" and "tools=temptation", which gave me the feeling that there was supposed to be some site vulnerability that lets us run javascript without using the developer toolbar. I guess the toolbar doesn't count, then, since browsers can do whatever they want with the webpages they get (just like my ISP!).
You're missing the point. That aside, it's HTTP referer, not referrer. Somehow the spelling mistake became the real thing.

enrajb wrote:The thing about these tools is, I solved Mission 5 completely oblivious to the fact that referrers came into play. I feel like I missed something, and would have just gone on missing it if I hadn't looked here.
However, this is what sets you apart from those not willing to learn. You figured there should be more and to your surprise there was. I think the reason it isn't mentioned anywhere how to do the mission is 1) when this mission was created, Firefox didn't include dev tools yet and 2) I think all missions were created to learn from without having to resort to the forums, so that if something doesn't make sense looking and learning hard enough will teach you how to do it. The help is just here when people are still stuck after a long time (which is of course subjective) or don't know why what they did worked (thus having learnt too little).
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Symsyr on Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:51 pm
([msg=81481]see Re: Basic Mission 10[/msg])

I have a slight issue. I have done the proper technique, I believe, and got the Congratz page, but it isn't letting me go to mission 11. Is there more that I am supposed to do?

Edit: I guess I was just supposed to go back to missions and click 11. I am okay now
Symsyr
New User
New User

Post by bobthantos on Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:00 pm
([msg=81745]see Re: Basic Mission 10[/msg])

I'm pretty sure I'm doing this right...giving myself a yes access to level 10....still saying I'm not authorized. Since I was pretty sure I was right I looked it up and it turns out I was...or possibly was when that solution was posted. If there's anyone I can pm to say if I'm missing something that'd be great! Thanks.
bobthantos
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:15 am
([msg=81767]see Re: Basic Mission 10[/msg])

You may PM me.
cyberdrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by newghost420 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:29 am
([msg=81999]see Re: Basic Mission 10[/msg])

I tried level 10 with firefox with no luck.. I think you need an add-on fire bug? to inject?.. not sure.. Chrome was easy though.
newghost420
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:45 pm
([msg=82004]see Re: Basic Mission 10[/msg])

newghost420 wrote:I tried level 10 with firefox with no luck.. I think you need an add-on fire bug? to inject?.. not sure.. Chrome was easy though.

You people and your incapableness without tools. Just think of how hard of a time we had before all these fancy tools. Have you read any of this thread? You should read up on javascript injection (and a lot more than that).

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by cyberdrain on Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:31 pm
([msg=82012]see Re: Basic Mission 10[/msg])

mShred wrote:Just think of how hard of a time we had before all these fancy tools.

Tools have been around as long as hackers have, if we're supposed to believe the MIT and ... baud modem generation. I'm wondering what time you speak of (and also where this sudden anger comes from).
cyberdrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by trevicious on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:13 pm
([msg=82875]see Re: Basic Mission 10[/msg])

I was trying to do this using the console on IE 11. Is there anyway to actually modify the source code in the console to produce the same result? I have already completed this mission but want to learn more on the IE 11 console. PM me please.
trevicious
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Basic