Basic Mission 6

Learn new things
Forum rules
DO NOT POST ANSWERS OR SPOILERS! [IE: Mission Links, Mission File Names/Pages, Scripts, etc.]

Posting these will result in warnings/bans!

Re: Basic Mission 6

Post by MisterGreen on Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:14 pm
([msg=81148]see Re: Basic Mission 6[/msg])

Something weird happened to me.

I figured out how to encrypt/decrypt. Except when I try to decrypt it, only one of the characters is off by 1.
Before I looked over my work, I just changed that one character to see if it gave me the right encryption, and it did. But when I look over my work, I see no error that could have caused that single character to be off by one. I don't know if its just some stupid thing I looked over, but I want to learn as much as possible from these challenges, so I really want to know how I was off by one value on only one of the characters.

Nevermind actually, I figured it out... I had just copied the original ciphertext wrong. If anybody has the same issue, I recommend checking that. Nice challenge though, as for people who are having trouble figuring it out, I recommend encrypting a bunch of simple 5 character strings and trying to reverse engineer them. (e.g. type "aaaaa" into it and see what you get)
MisterGreen
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by TheReaperzero on Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:23 am
([msg=81187]see Re: Basic Mission 6[/msg])

This one was fantastic! I blew through 1-5 in about fifteen minutes, and had to hit the forums for 6. It is fairly obvious, even for someone with no crypto experience. This one was a blast. The best thing is to just SLOW DOWN and not over think it.
TheReaperzero
New User
New User

Post by tundrafuzz on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:27 pm
([msg=81559]see Re: Basic Mission 6[/msg])

I figured it out guys, i won't spoil anything, but basically you need to read the ASCII table here and figure out the pattern in the encryption... it's not too hard don't worry, and also I realized this... it's case sensitive :)
tundrafuzz
New User
New User

Post by 88x88 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:28 am
([msg=81602]see Re: Basic Mission 6[/msg])

Wow I made it harder than it should be!! I studied cryptography theory in university so I didn't believe this to be this easy! :D
I didn't think it would be stream cipher and the first thing I did was to search a good way to brute force the password! :))
after reading a lot, finally I tried hello and Hello in the encryption block and found out what it is!
88x88
New User
New User

Post by learner_0786 on Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:05 am
([msg=81716]see Re: Basic Mission 6[/msg])

Anyone has some advice for me?

Im trying everything, its really hard.

How do i know if its binary, html , oct or hex?
Sand over my head?
learner_0786
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:13 pm
([msg=81730]see Re: Basic Mission 6[/msg])

All encryption is always binary, heck, everything digital is binary. Octal or hexadecimal is easy to deduce: try to divide by either 8 or 16 and see if that works. You should really look into ASCII.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Misanthropydotexe on Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:02 am
([msg=81747]see Re: Basic Mission 6[/msg])

learner_0786 wrote:Anyone has some advice for me?

I imagine you're overthinking it. I'm an absolute dummy, and after playing around with the encryption device a few times I had the answer. Play with it a little bit and see if you can see the pattern by which it changes. From there, it should be gravy. Hope this helped!

"b" comes after "a", but what comes after "z"? Certainly there must be some non-arbitrary way to determine the progression of these things.
My armor is Contempt. My shield is Disgust. My sword is Hatred.
Respect not pity or weakness, for they are a disease which makes sick the strong
Misanthropydotexe
Poster
Poster

Post by freetree on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:16 am
([msg=82021]see Re: Basic Mission 6[/msg])

I have decrypted it by hand. Is there another way to do it,like programming? Thanks
freetree
New User
New User

Post by XiXi on Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:09 am
([msg=82022]see Re: Basic Mission 6[/msg])

You could and it would be very easy to set up the variables. But, why would you want to?
XiXi
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:44 am
([msg=82023]see Re: Basic Mission 6[/msg])

XiXi wrote:You could and it would be very easy to set up the variables. But, why would you want to?

That should be obvious: to learn how to program and in case you ever want to or need to encode/decode/encrypt/decrypt things, (parts of) the code could be re-used.

freetree wrote:I have decrypted it by hand. Is there another way to do it,like programming? Thanks

The easiest way to do this is to use methods that probably are already available in most languages to encode or decode strings to various schemes. I think it would work similar to a bruteforcer assuming no knowledge of the encryption or key used prior to trying it out.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Basic