Basic Mission 5

Learn new things
Forum rules
DO NOT POST ANSWERS OR SPOILERS! [IE: Mission Links, Mission File Names/Pages, Scripts, etc.]

Posting these will result in warnings/bans!

Re: Basic Mission 5

Post by cyberdrain on Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:26 am
([msg=80094]see Re: Basic Mission 5[/msg])

babunji wrote:do i need to stop here to learn JS and then coming back to finish this task OR there is a way to do this task with out the need to learn JS ???

First of all: don't use different usernames, that's just confusing. Secondly: the idea is to learn as much as you can about everything. If you're going in with a mentality of "I want to learn just enough to finish this mission", then you'll not learn much. So yes, please learn JavaScript, it doesn't matter if it's used here or not. You will need it for other missions, if above is your mentality. Then again, you might as well quit now, if that's the way you want to go.

Edit: Third, while I don't pretend to speak for mShred, I do agree that learning just enough is a sign of laziness and therefore not an insult but an observation. That you take it as an insult is, for lack of a better word, characteristic.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by babunji on Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:48 am
([msg=80106]see Re: Basic Mission 5[/msg])

cyberdrain wrote:
babunji wrote:do i need to stop here to learn JS and then coming back to finish this task OR there is a way to do this task with out the need to learn JS ???

First of all: don't use different usernames, that's just confusing. Secondly: the idea is to learn as much as you can about everything. If you're going in with a mentality of "I want to learn just enough to finish this mission", then you'll not learn much. So yes, please learn JavaScript, it doesn't matter if it's used here or not. You will need it for other missions, if above is your mentality. Then again, you might as well quit now, if that's the way you want to go.

Edit: Third, while I don't pretend to speak for mShred, I do agree that learning just enough is a sign of laziness and therefore not an insult but an observation. That you take it as an insult is, for lack of a better word, characteristic.

if you noticed from my first post first line i wrote "i am new to hacking world and i only know a little about HTML and almost nothing about JS" , so i don't know what to learn and what NOT to learn as a starting point in the hacking world !!! this is why i asked if i need to learn JS now or later . and about my mentality , the first thing i learned about hacking from number of videos i watched is "hacking is a continuous job" ,so, i don't plan to learn only one programming Language and then stop just like that !!! . i asked this question about JS to see if i need this language as a starting point because i am a College student and i don't have time to learn irrelevant things as a starting point in hacking, thats all.

and thank you to answer my question about JS , i will start learn JS as soon as i can.
babunji
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:10 pm
([msg=80119]see Re: Basic Mission 5[/msg])

I'll just say this: please improve your spelling, punctuation and grammar (obviously English is not your first language, so I wish you the best in this regard) and try not to use exclamation-marks every few sentences. Good luck with college and learning JavaScript, as long as you keep learning, that's all that counts.
cyberdrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by drdbt on Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:29 am
([msg=80131]see Re: Basic Mission 5[/msg])

Haven't solved Basic Mission 5, but I'm learning more from this mission than any of the previous ones.

I'm familiar with html, so I was able to solve Basic Mission 4 by editing the source code using a text editor. However, I realized that this strategy won't work for Basic Mission 5, and I couldn't quite figure out why.

However, after reading this forum post I Googled Cross-Site Request Forgery, as it was noted in the post that I probably used a basic version of that type of attack to solve Basic Mission 4. What I found has been more than helpful. I found http://www.owasp.org, which is a free and open software security community that freely distributes information about 68 different kinds of common attacks to web security and how to screen program structure for vulnerabilities to such attacks and more. For anyone who solved Basic Mission 4 and Basic Mission 5 the same way but still doesn't understand exactly what is going on, the article on CSRF from the site I just referenced has been extremely helpful.

Like I said, I still haven't quite found the solution to Basic Mission 5. But I understand that my true mission here isn't just to solve the problem; it's to understand how I arrived at the solution and to expand my horizons even further. Before I came to this forum post I didn't even know that the strategy I used to solve Basic Mission 4 had a technical term to describe it (like CSRF), and furthermore that the same strategy could be applied to solve Basic Mission 5. It's been exciting!

All the best,
drdbt
drdbt
New User
New User

Post by babunji on Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:50 pm
([msg=80141]see Re: Basic Mission 5[/msg])

cyberdrain wrote:I'll just say this: please improve your spelling, punctuation and grammar (obviously English is not your first language, so I wish you the best in this regard) and try not to use exclamation-marks every few sentences. Good luck with college and learning JavaScript, as long as you keep learning, that's all that counts.

ok , i admit English isn't my first language and i know it's not so perfect so what ?? where you are getting at from saying this ?? you replayed only to tell that and wish me luck ??? don't bother yourself answering this.

i will just tell you good luck as well .
babunji
New User
New User

Javascript

Post by keabro on Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:24 pm
([msg=80265]see Javascript[/msg])

Hey everyone,
I have never used javascript and I am fairly new to coding. I know some C++ and html, but I wanted to ask if anyone has good suggestions for places to learn javascript.(I.E. Websites, books... etc) I was able to figure basic 5 out, but I most definitely need to learn a lot more. Also if you have any other suggestions of things that are necessary to learn please feel free to add those as well.
keabro
New User
New User

Re: Javascript

Post by -Ninjex- on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:55 pm
([msg=80268]see Re: Javascript[/msg])

keabro wrote:Hey everyone,
I have never used javascript and I am fairly new to coding. I know some C++ and html, but I wanted to ask if anyone has good suggestions for places to learn javascript.(I.E. Websites, books... etc) I was able to figure basic 5 out, but I most definitely need to learn a lot more. Also if you have any other suggestions of things that are necessary to learn please feel free to add those as well.

Everything you asked for has nothing to do with basic mission 5. Please make posts in the correct area if you want help.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Re: Javascript

Post by keabro on Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:29 pm
([msg=80274]see Re: Javascript[/msg])

-Ninjex- wrote:
Everything you asked for has nothing to do with basic mission 5. Please make posts in the correct area if you want help.

My apologies. since this mission involved javascript I thought this would be an appropriate place my mistake. Would you be so kind as to direct me to the appropriate area rather than simply tell me I am in the incorrect area?
keabro
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:30 am
([msg=80276]see Re: Basic Mission 5[/msg])

keabro wrote:Would you be so kind as to direct me to the appropriate area rather than simply tell me I am in the incorrect area?

Well, the forum has a few sections, each representing different areas. The one you posted this in is in the 'HTS Missions' section, under 'Basic' with talks about the missions only. If you look at the 'Board index' you can see a list of all the different areas. Scroll down until you see the 'Forum' section, from here click on the 'NZone' section. Now you are in the correct area to ask you question. Click 'New topic' and ask your question again. Or just click this link. There are also already a few resources out there, click on 'Search' to find them.

Edit: and yes, I was mocking you...
cyberdrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Osu_Osu on Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:13 am
([msg=80320]see Re: Basic Mission 5[/msg])

I completed the mission, but I did not gain any knowledge from it and it would be awesome if someone could clarify some things for me. :D

So for basic mission 4 I solved it by copying the code, cutting out sam's email and putting mine in and then opening the html and clicking the send e-mail button.

for basic mission 5 I tried doing the same and it gave me an error, but when I edited it in google chrome after using inspect element and deleting Sam's email and inserting mine, it passed me. What was going on? The exact same script should've been running.
Osu_Osu
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Basic