Research for game concept

Got something to share about your favorite games? Strategies? Game codes? Discuss gaming topics here!

Research for game concept

Post by SkitzFist on Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:13 pm
([msg=94985]see Research for game concept[/msg])

Hello!
I'm currently studying to become a game designer and next semester I will be creating a game. I'm currently working on a concept where I will try and combine the good parts of Hacknet and Uplink into one unified game, where I put more focus on defending your own system from intrusion. I also want to make the player make choices, will he/she be a white hat or a black hat? I would like to introduce the player to ethical hacking. There's a lot of stuff I want to have in the concept, but due to time everything won't make it into the game. BUT I want to make it a good experience for both players who has knowledge about hacking, but at the same time, have it accessible for players who has no experience at all. (is that even possible?? ^^) due to scope and time limits, I won't have time to make social engineering a part of the game (SADLY!).

Problem is I have no experience of hacking or how to set up defenses. So I'm turning to you guys who are knowledgeable and know what is going on.

The concept I'm working on is not aimed to meet 100% realism, I want to create more of a power fantasy for the user, but at the same time I don't want to piss off the real hackers.

I'm asking you these questions:

1. How do you set up defenses for your own system? A short version is okay, I just want some kind of knowledge about what area to look into more.

2. What do you feel has been missing from hacking games, that you think is important?

3. What is ethical hacking? Could you give me an example?

If you guys are interested, I will also upload the game for free during prototype, alpha and beta phases if you would like to play test and comment on it. I will also upload the final game for free.
SkitzFist
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Gaming