Need help with making a hacking game

Got something to share about your favorite games? Strategies? Game codes? Discuss gaming topics here!

Need help with making a hacking game

Post by inari on Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:36 am
([msg=92088]see Need help with making a hacking game[/msg])

Hello,
Not sure if this is the place where I should be posting this, feel free to point me in the right direction.
I noticed that there are few to no games in the market which contain actual hacks/hacking and thought that it'd be great if I could make one to give casual players a feel of what actual hacking is like while raising awareness about cyber security.
I do not have much real hacking experience and thought that it'd be an integral part to creating a good and realistic hacking game.
I tried to make up for the lack of experience, but realized that I can only get an overview and the basics down in a reasonable amount of time.
So I was wondering if any of you people would like to work with me and provide me with the much needed technical details and tell me what hacks are reasonable as well as interesting.

Feel free to contact me for more information on the game.

Thanks,
Hemang Rajvanshy

mail: tobiuchiha1010@gmail.com
inari
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Need help with making a hacking game

Post by tremor77 on Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:35 pm
([msg=92139]see Re: Need help with making a hacking game[/msg])

Not sure if you've pulled up the Steam catalog lately but there are actually a ton of hacking simulators and role playing games based around hacking. (See: Hacknet, Uplink, Hacker Evolution, etc).

I've never tried any of these so I can't speak to if they are any good or not, I've heard good things about Hacknet but mostly from the immersion and storytelling part from avid gamer friends.

There are so many angles for a hacking game... as part of a bigger story arc or full on simulator, is it all command line work or do you integrate an RPG style framework where you try to integrate other things like social engineering, actual theft and breaking and entering or other types of reconnaisance to get information on a target.. sounds like a big endeavour, to do a hacking game right i think you need a great dev team using a solid gaming engine and framework.. good actual hackers to reality check the game mechanics.. that's why you don't see many hacking games.. much easier to make a shooter or medieval fantasy game - bigger fan base and less likely to piss off the purists.
tremor77
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Gaming