Hacking Game in Beta

Got something to share about your favorite games? Strategies? Game codes? Discuss gaming topics here!

Hacking Game in Beta

Post by sordidarchetype on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:58 pm
([msg=75054]see Hacking Game in Beta[/msg])

Hey everyone!

I figured this would be a good place to share info about my latest project. I have been writing a hacking game of sorts. It's basically a simulation of an environment of unix-like machines. You sit down at a terminal and try to hack your way to root. It should fit very well into the motif of this site.
:)

Anyway, the default mission pack is based on an older (DOS-based) game called Fate, that no one seems to be able to run on modern systems. This pretty much just wraps a story around the hacking objectives.

The engine is scriptable using Lua also, so anyone can feel free to make their own mission packs.

I just recently put this into public beta, so everyone is welcome to hop on over to the flying monkey army website and download a copy for free. Sometime in the near future, I would like to put up some documentation for scripting your own missions (the documentation is mostly complete but needs a few tweaks still).

http://www.flyingmonkeyarmy.com/

I would love to get feedback from everyone on how they feel about this!

:geek:
sordidarchetype
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Hacking Game in Beta

Post by hellow533 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:03 pm
([msg=75055]see Re: Hacking Game in Beta[/msg])

This kind of seems like advertizement...

At the same time, it seems like a nice idea. I would love to see new realistic unix based missions on HTS, do you have any plans on teaming up to create new missions with HTS?

How's the 7 year process going on this game anyways?
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hacking Game in Beta

Post by sordidarchetype on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:12 pm
([msg=75056]see Re: Hacking Game in Beta[/msg])

Yeah, I was kind of iffy about posting because I didn't want to come off as spammy, but I figured this would be the best place to ask for feedback on my work.

I haven't reached out to HTS about this directly, but if they were interested in using it and making missions with it, I'd be all for it! Using Lua, this thing is remarkably easy to write missions for, so that's a big plus (I actually never wrote any Lua before I did this project).

Just to clarify, I didn't write Fate. :)
I only started this project back in February. I really liked Fate, but found certain aspects lacking, plus I couldn't run it without emulation/virtualization (like DOS-box or VMWare), so I got the idea to write something of my own, and this was born.

-- Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:03 pm --

If anyone is interested in modding/scripting, I just released the developer documentation today. You can hop on over and download that to learn about writing your own Lua-Scripted mission files. I would love to get feedback on the documentation itself (I know it can probably stand to have some changes). If anything is unclear, or people would like to see additional information, please let me know so I can make proper revisions.

Also, if anyone makes their own mission packs, please feel free to share links to them.
:)
sordidarchetype
New User
New User

Return to Gaming