A problem with your site (Admin please read)

Dedicated to "idiots" right here on HTS! Please give them a "thanks" for free LULZ. However, please keep the flaming to yourselves!
Forum rules
Content must be appropriate. Keep the flaming to yourselves! For LULZ purposes only.

A problem with your site (Admin please read)

Post by RevengeDriven on Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:28 am
([msg=55678]see A problem with your site (Admin please read)[/msg])

I came here looking to learn how to hack. I involved myself in a discussion: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6970 This particular discussion is about 'the value of an i.p. address'.

The o.p. specifically asked this:

I've seen that many people believe that if you get someone's IP address, you can do a lot of harm to them. Some people claim to be able to remotely control other computers through their public IP Address.

My response was as follows:

Its not possible at all to take control of a computer with just an i.p. The person would have to somehow download something from the person trying to take control of the computer. Knowing an i.p. doesn't do you any good.

Even port scanning for ports running vulnerable app.s is of little use unless you have the skills to set up shop on the computer you are scanning.

Hopefully you read it closer than goatboy did.

For no less than 3 pages I received 'corrections' and outright rude comments from this goatboy. These are just some of his posts 'correcting' me (there was no reason to correct my post above) and outright being an asshole.

Knowing an IP does you tons of good.

First and foremost, how are you supposed to launch an attack against someone if you can't specify their computer?

Well if you're going to assert such a limited view of things, you might as well say that a house address is useless for a taxi, and that a phone number is useless if you want to call someone.

I agreed with you there. Where I disagree with you is the point at which you say an IP is useless. I gave a few good reasons why having an IP is useful, and even necessary in a large majority of cases. Saying "you can't do anything with an i.p." is simply retarded.

you can talk all day about how great you are at this and that, what "private" tools you use, and throw around buzz-words like candy, but you still don't know what you are talking about,

I believe if Mr. goatboy had bothered to read my post carefully he would of seen that I was saying YES you need an i.p. BUT an i.p. alone is not sufficient. Furthermore if he agreed with me why didn't he simply post "Yes I agree with you but.....". There was no need to 'correct' me as he puts it in a later post.

Actually, you posted a narrow-minded, closed-off opinion about the usefulness of an IP address. I then corrected you, providing specific instances where one could be used to glean information, as well as stating that most attacks rely on having your victim's IP (hence the taxi and phone call analogies).

Now I would like for someone to explain to me (since Mr. goatboy cannot) how my original post which garnered 3 pages of bullshit from Mr. goatboy....missed the mark? Explain to me how this post:

Its not possible at all to take control of a computer with just an i.p. The person would have to somehow download something from the person trying to take control of the computer. Knowing an i.p. doesn't do you any good.

Even port scanning for ports running vulnerable app.s is of little use unless you have the skills to set up shop on the computer you are scanning.

needs correcting.

If this is the kind of mod you are employing to police your forum I'd rethink that decision. I think Mr. goatboy has an attention span problem and simply read my final sentence in the first paragraph and disregarded that there was more posted before it....more that he should of paid attention to.
RevengeDriven
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: A problem with your site (Admin please read)

Post by pretentious on Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:48 am
([msg=55680]see Re: A problem with your site (Admin please read)[/msg])

I think the major problem with your post was
Knowing an i.p. doesn't do you any good.

If we keep that in mind then the rest of your post really doesn't make much sense
The person would have to somehow download something from the person trying to take control of the computer.

I think the attacker will need to know the victims I.P address, right?

You need to know the victims I.P to do a port scan.
I realize that this must have been repeated countless times in the thread, but Knowing the I.P is (from my limited understanding) fundamental in being able to launch a successful attack.
You need to know where the house is, to deliver a pizza, and this
Knowing an i.p. doesn't do you any good.

completely contradicts that, in my view.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RevengeDriven on Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:25 am
([msg=55682]see Re: A problem with your site (Admin please read)[/msg])

Ok lets go with your argument for a minute....

I posted my i.p. and goatboy (nor anyone else for that matter) has been able to hack into my computer....and why is that????....Because knowing an i.p. doesn't mean dick. You HAVE to have other skills besides knowing an i.p. to hack into a computer. This is what I have been trying to get across to everyone on this fucked up God forsaken forum since I originally posted what I posted.

Now could I have put
"JUST" Knowing an i.p. doesn't do you any good.
....probably. Should I have? I didn't think I had to explain every little thing in my post like I was talking to a bunch of kindergarteners. By posting the other explanations on how a hack could occur.....i.e. you downloaded something OR someone gained access to an app. running on your computer should of explained it all. Both of those sentences confirm that YES you need an i.p. to initiate a hack. I was never disputing that or contradicting that....I was however telling the o.p and anyone else who cared to read the thread that an i.p. alone is not sufficient to hack someone. You have to have other skills. Is that clear enough now????????????????? God damn.
RevengeDriven
New User
New User

Post by kujinR on Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:58 am
([msg=55685]see Re: A problem with your site (Admin please read)[/msg])

What in the nine hells is wrong with you? I thought you said you were leaving?
RevengeIdiot wrote:I'm fucking out of here.....

Stop making promises you can't keep.

So someone who's obviously smarter than you corrected you on something. Big deal. Quit being such a whiny bastard. All these posts don't help you. At all.

And yes. I am trolling you. For lack of anything else to do right now.
"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
"red = changed"
kujinR
Poster
Poster

Post by mShred on Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:31 am
([msg=55687]see Re: A problem with your site (Admin please read)[/msg])

There's no need for two threads of mindless complaining and arguing. He's done his whining. If we leave it at that then he'll scurry on away.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by RevengeDriven on Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:01 pm
([msg=55692]see Re: A problem with your site (Admin please read)[/msg])

mShred wrote:There's no need for two threads of mindless complaining and arguing. He's done his whining. If we leave it at that then he'll scurry on away.

Gee I don't see the word "Admin" under you name am I missing something there? I'd like someone with a little more clout than 285 posts to make a determination on why this "goatass" aka 'goatboy' was trying to correct me when I was clearly in the right.

Just mind your own fucking business and run about and play nice lil' boy the adults are talking here. What are you 12?

I still want to know what this 'smarter' person corrected me on? I don't see anything posted here that corrected me. I see a power hungry mod that didn't like rebuttal being posted and got a hair up his ass and wanted to argue with someone (me). Thats what I see....
RevengeDriven
New User
New User

Post by parakkafaith on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:18 pm
([msg=55697]see Re: A problem with your site (Admin please read)[/msg])

RevengeDriven wrote:I'd like someone with a little more clout than 285 posts to make a determination on why this "goatass" aka 'goatboy' was trying to correct me when I was clearly in the right

Ok how about you just go take a damn nap? "Goatass"? If you're as clever as you are original, than that clears up a few questions I have. The one thing I still wonder is why you care this much.

Here's your reason for the correction, and you've done this twice in this thread alone. You say an IP is useless in the same post as you say you need more than just an IP. You contradict yourself.

RevengeDriven wrote:....Because knowing an i.p. doesn't mean dick.

Right there is why you get corrected. If you mean you need MORE than just an IP, then say that, and nothing on the contrary. If you agree that an IP is just one element, that's a little more than none I'd say.

tl;dr: IP does mean dick. Quite a load of dick.
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
- Probably not Arthur C. Clarke
parakkafaith
Poster
Poster

Post by RevengeDriven on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:23 pm
([msg=55701]see Re: A problem with your site (Admin please read)[/msg])

Is anyone here capable of reading two sentences together and forming an intelligent thought about those two sentences? Because I'm starting to wonder....

The quote (that you just like goatass took out of context) reads as follows:
....Because knowing an i.p. doesn't mean dick. You HAVE to have other skills besides knowing an i.p. to hack into a computer.

Is it really that hard to read two sentences separated by a period and form a logical attachment between those two sentences? It really shouldn't be that difficult people.

Oh and I care because I detest being corrected when there is nothing to correct. If I'm wrong I'll admit it and have plenty of times on forums. I don't like to be dogged and 'corrected' by people that don't know what the hell they are talking about but are trying to sound 'cool' and 'God' like for the noobs. This could of all been avoided if 'goatass' would of simply said "You're right Revenge an i.p. alone doesn't mean shit you need other skills". Which is what I have been trying to get across to the nitwits on this forum. But no instead he wants to tell me that an i.p. is ever so important....and YES it is important BUT ONLY IF you have other skills.
RevengeDriven
New User
New User

Post by parakkafaith on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:35 pm
([msg=55705]see Re: A problem with your site (Admin please read)[/msg])

You're still not getting it. You have to say "Knowing JUST IP doesn't mean dick".

If first you say knowing IP doesn't mean dick, and then you say you need to know IP and PLUS other things, you've then contradicted yourself.

That's like saying "You don't need tomato sauce for a pizza. You need tomato sauce and toppings." See the problem? You still need tomato sauce.

P.S. Sorry I'm not an admin.

P.P.S. And I haven't posted nearly enough times for you to feel that I'm reputably shitting on you.
Last edited by parakkafaith on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
- Probably not Arthur C. Clarke
parakkafaith
Poster
Poster

Post by RevengeDriven on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:40 pm
([msg=55706]see Re: A problem with your site (Admin please read)[/msg])

Oh for Christs sake....

I give up.
RevengeDriven
New User
New User

Next

Return to Idiots' Corner