Ideas anyone?!

HackThisSite Store

Re: Ideas anyone?!

Post by -Ninjex- on Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:30 pm
([msg=77052]see Re: Ideas anyone?![/msg])

See what you guys got started, now everyone is posting off topic stuff here lol
I don't know if you can graveyard certain posts, but a few of these need to go. If not, maybe it's a good addition the site could use. Well, the forums really; but then again, we just need an entire new forum.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by agent 47 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:28 am
([msg=77053]see Re: Ideas anyone?![/msg])

new forum and visual basic courses or just tutorials. :D

-- Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:28 am --

new forum and visual basic courses or just tutorials. :D
agent 47
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:16 pm
([msg=77100]see Re: Ideas anyone?![/msg])

^ as for that. We do plan on adding more content.. Explanations after the mission is completed, more in depth articles, potentially videos (not confirmed), etc. Courses could be an addition to that.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by fashizzlepop on Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:54 pm
([msg=77106]see Re: Ideas anyone?![/msg])

We're not going to be making tutorials on Visual Basic. I can almost guarantee that.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by daimbahaxxor on Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:24 am
([msg=77125]see Re: Ideas anyone?![/msg])

I have already posted a bugreport on this, but can anyone fix the programming 5 mission?
daimbahaxxor
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:22 pm
([msg=77127]see Re: Ideas anyone?![/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:We're not going to be making tutorials on Visual Basic. I can almost guarantee that.

But how else am I supposed to learn how to make a 1337 GUI app that steals facebook loginz and reads the president's email?

Fer srs tho, I wouldn't hate a section for Arduino/microcontrollers/electronics. I know this might look a bit like function creep, and it's not really directly related to security, but at least for me closing the gap between hardware and software seems like a logical step for a lot of people. At DEFcon they have the hardware villages (fucking. amazing. fun.) and there have only been a handful of soldering mentions here.

I mean if we can have a section for modeling and animation that has 4 topics, I think there's room for an Arduino section.

Also, I think we should hire one more moderator. I know a guy who'd be great if you made the offer.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by tgoe on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:58 pm
([msg=77132]see Re: Ideas anyone?![/msg])

https://www.hackthissite.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=39 couldn't be more boring. It doesn't deserve a subsection.
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cluele55 on Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:44 am
([msg=77368]see Re: Ideas anyone?![/msg])

Is there a way to implement security/protection missions? Like counter-parts to the hacking missions. For example, you have missions to hack into websites and change things. What about missions where you are the website being hacked and you need to fix the vulnerability. Or better yet, is there a way to track the fictitious hacker?

Another idea is to create multiples of the same kind of hack. For example, if someone approaches a SQL injection mission for the first time, they might have to run off and learn about SQL injection first and then come back and do the mission. Once they complete the mission, it would be nice to have 2 or 3 more missions just like it so the person can practice the skill. I know when I learn something new, I'm usually following a script and I'm usually reading the script as I go along -- step one: do this; step two: do this, etc. When the hack works, I'm like, wow cool. But then I want to try it again without my script in front of me. The problem is, my mission is labeled "You already completed this mission." And I'm left thinking "Yeah, but I want to do it again!" I know that you do have missions that use the same techniques, but I'd like to see them in a row. It makes me feel like I've learned that technique and am ready to move on.

I also vote for an app. Maybe some day.
cluele55
New User
New User

Post by tgoe on Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:22 am
([msg=77396]see Re: Ideas anyone?![/msg])

cluele55 wrote:Is there a way to implement security/protection missions? Like counter-parts to the hacking missions. For example, you have missions to hack into websites and change things. What about missions where you are the website being hacked and you need to fix the vulnerability. Or better yet, is there a way to track the fictitious hacker?

This can't happen nicely without putting the mission-serving site at huge risk or requiring the mission taker to run the challenge locally. I took the latter approach here: https://www.hackthissite.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=157&t=10523

Posting code to accomplish the mission objective will win you internets.
Posting code that fixes the vulnerabilities will win you internets. ;)
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MRFREE on Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:46 am
([msg=78131]see Re: Ideas anyone?![/msg])

tgoe wrote:
cluele55 wrote:Is there a way to implement security/protection missions? Like counter-parts to the hacking missions. For example, you have missions to hack into websites and change things. What about missions where you are the website being hacked and you need to fix the vulnerability. Or better yet, is there a way to track the fictitious hacker?

This can't happen nicely without putting the mission-serving site at huge risk or requiring the mission taker to run the challenge locally. I took the latter approach here: https://www.hackthissite.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=157&t=10523

Posting code to accomplish the mission objective will win you internets.
Posting code that fixes the vulnerabilities will win you internets. ;)

What if the user actually downloaded the mission and had to have a working apache, link it back to the site for mission accomplished etc... Maybe you could do that for the riskier stuff?

Thought:
I think someone should go on a mission to get more users for the site, maybe Schools, other hacking sites(Hackforums,hak5, hackaday,etc...) and get the word flowing that Hackthissite is where to be.
Maybe mimic(slightly) a site like Hackforums(just an Idea, don't crucify me), thereby inviting more new comers and cash flow so we can see some real changes to Hackthissite?
Mainly I think yall should get the word flowing to some Universities and Community colleges, that alone should help with content quality. Cyber Security is on the rise and should be capitalized on, with University lvl missions in forensics, pentesting, bug hunting, etc...

Personal message to the sites owner:
The government is giving out big grants to schools every where for Cyber Security, literally hundreds of millions of dollars.(This year 2013)If I owned this site I would sell my soul to the devil to get the money I needed to get into serious development right away. Find out who you have to fuq to get a Curriculum contract like the text book people and get incorporated into a text book/Curriculum.(mind==blown, 10's of thousands of users err day. Champagne would rain from the heavens etc... 8-) )

Dont thank me just pay it forward
MRFREE
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Store