Backtrack for Mac?

Discussion of the fruity operating systems.

Backtrack for Mac?

Post by Teh-brain-eater on Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:10 pm
([msg=63454]see Backtrack for Mac?[/msg])

Hello all,
I've been having problems installing backtrack for my mac. I read numerous articles about it I've installed everything that they've asked refit etc. I cannot get it to boot while i reboot my comp. So what do I need to do? or better yet is there a other pen testing tool that works on a mac without going through numerous procedures. Thanks
Teh-brain-eater
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Backtrack for Mac?

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:12 am
([msg=63458]see Re: Backtrack for Mac?[/msg])

Have you tried booting it just from the cd as a "live cd" instead of installing it and booting like that?
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by Teh-brain-eater on Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:44 am
([msg=63467]see Re: Backtrack for Mac?[/msg])

I can't download it on a cd because the bt5 file is 2gb and my cd is only 700mb so I have to burn it on a dvd. I don't have blank dads so I will try to purchase one blank dvd if I can if not I have to purchase a bundle :(
Teh-brain-eater
New User
New User

Post by Acidiferous on Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:31 pm
([msg=63474]see Re: Backtrack for Mac?[/msg])

If you dont use DVD's normaly, and you are trying out diffrend distros, you can buy a USB drive and use that. I think that will be cheaper in the long run :) Here is a guide for backtrack: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/wiki/index.php/UNetbootin_USB_Installer

Edit: Sorry, i just noticed the guide was only for Windows and Linux. I dont know mutch about mac, but i'm sure you'll be able to find a way and do it on your mac aswell.

Edit v.2.0: Sorry again, seems like i might work on mac to, mac was just not mentioned in my first link. But UNetbootin should work on mac: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

If you test it, please let me know if you can get it to work.
Acidiferous
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Teh-brain-eater on Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:15 pm
([msg=63481]see Re: Backtrack for Mac?[/msg])

I tried using unetbetin along with refit and it still doesn't work because every time I select the linux os after I reboot a black screen pops up saying missing "OS". I than look at another pdf about dual booting bt5 along with mac osx It says i first have to go to bootcamp and install windows 7 os than later override it with linux but I couldn't download windows 7 so now I'm going to try it out on vmware.
Teh-brain-eater
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:07 am
([msg=63933]see Re: Backtrack for Mac?[/msg])

Teh-brain-eater wrote:I tried using unetbetin along with refit and it still doesn't work because every time I select the linux os after I reboot a black screen pops up saying missing "OS". I than look at another pdf about dual booting bt5 along with mac osx It says i first have to go to bootcamp and install windows 7 os than later override it with linux but I couldn't download windows 7 so now I'm going to try it out on vmware.

That missing "OS" error will get you on a wild goose chase. When I tried that it took a long time to get done, but anyway, if I recall correctly the utility should format the stick for you and then it'll boot correctly, on a Windows PC that is. On a Windows pc the BIOS could give a problem, but I've never used a Mac for anything but OSX. Anyway, also found a link for installing Ubuntu on USB for a Mac, follow that link and try that method. It says USB install on unetbootin is broken for USB on a Mac, maybe that is the problem? I don't know if this will help you install Backtrack, but trying never hurts. Also, here I found that link, might also be useful. Good luck!
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Addict
Addict

Return to Mac