Virtual box

Discussion of the fruity operating systems.

Virtual box

Post by thehackertoyou on Tue May 28, 2013 11:33 am
([msg=75832]see Virtual box[/msg])

So I am trying to learn how to use virtual box (I run a mac) and I was going to set up a mac first so I could learn how. I set it up but now it's just a terminal like thing that says
Code: Select all
UEFI Interactive Shell v2.0. UEFI v2.31 (EDK 2, 0x00010000). Revision 1.02
Mapping table
    BLK0: Alias(s):
        PciRoot (0X0) /Pci (0X1F, 0X1) / ATA (0X0)
    BLK1: Alias(s):
        PciRoot (0X0) /Pci (0X1F, 0X2) / Sata (0X0, 0X0, 0X0)
Press ESC in 3... 2... 1... seconds to skip startup.nsh or any other key to continue.
2.0 Shell>

And the 2.0 shell> runs like a terminal.

What did I do wrong, or what do I need to do next?

*EDIT*

And If it helps at all, here is a picture of my virtual mac's info https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 5068_n.jpg
thehackertoyou
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Virtual box

Post by centip3de on Tue May 28, 2013 1:11 pm
([msg=75837]see Re: Virtual box[/msg])

thehackertoyou wrote:So I am trying to learn how to use virtual box (I run a mac) and I was going to set up a mac first so I could learn how. I set it up but now it's just a terminal like thing that says
Code: Select all
UEFI Interactive Shell v2.0. UEFI v2.31 (EDK 2, 0x00010000). Revision 1.02
Mapping table
    BLK0: Alias(s):
        PciRoot (0X0) /Pci (0X1F, 0X1) / ATA (0X0)
    BLK1: Alias(s):
        PciRoot (0X0) /Pci (0X1F, 0X2) / Sata (0X0, 0X0, 0X0)
Press ESC in 3... 2... 1... seconds to skip startup.nsh or any other key to continue.
2.0 Shell>

And the 2.0 shell> runs like a terminal.

What did I do wrong, or what do I need to do next?

*EDIT*

And If it helps at all, here is a picture of my virtual mac's info https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 5068_n.jpg

It looks like you don't have a .ISO file selected to run in the VM. If you haven't already downloaded one, I'd do that first. Then in the storage options, click on your IDE, then click on "Add CD/DVD", then "Choose disk", then select the downloaded .ISO. You should now be able to run the OS of your choice.

Also, you should probably know that Mac OS X is notorious for being difficult to run in a VM. I'd start with a *nix distro first, as it's the easiest (and probably most documented), then increase in complexity.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by thehackertoyou on Tue May 28, 2013 3:19 pm
([msg=75839]see Re: Virtual box[/msg])

Ok, well, my goal is to download windows, how hard is that compared to others? And can I download any other OS's without a dvd/cd because I don't have a dvd drive?
thehackertoyou
New User
New User

Post by e3cb on Tue May 28, 2013 5:44 pm
([msg=75843]see Re: Virtual box[/msg])

Windows shouldn't be too terribly hard to set up. As long as you have a valid instalation medium such as a DVD or ISO you should be good to go. If you go to storage -> controler IDE -> select ISO to load, you should be good to go. There is also a wizard to help with setup, very useful. Run the Wizerd by clicking new and inputting your desired OS then follow the steps I mentioned above to add the ISO. After that, simply boot the virtual machine and install the OS.

Edit: lolol, I win cent!
Last edited by e3cb on Tue May 28, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<3 FF E4 <3
Do you even asm bruh?
e3cb
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by centip3de on Tue May 28, 2013 5:46 pm
([msg=75844]see Re: Virtual box[/msg])

thehackertoyou wrote:Ok, well, my goal is to download windows, how hard is that compared to others? And can I download any other OS's without a dvd/cd because I don't have a dvd drive?

Setting up Windows in a VM is fairly easy, however, because of legal reasons we can't tell you where one might download such an ISO, though you can let your imagination wonder. Also, you don't need a DVD/CD drive, the VM emulates one for you (which is where the DVD/CD part came in to play in my last post). If you want specific directions, I'd suggest either looking it up on Google, or YouTube, there are tutorials everywhere for it.

Edit: Damn you e3cb!
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by thehackertoyou on Tue May 28, 2013 8:38 pm
([msg=75849]see Re: Virtual box[/msg])

Wait, if it's legal to download an ISO, than why not? Could you message/email it to me?
thehackertoyou
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Tue May 28, 2013 9:06 pm
([msg=75850]see Re: Virtual box[/msg])

thehackertoyou wrote:Wait, if it's legal to download an ISO, than why not? Could you message/email it to me?

It is illegal to pirate anything, this extends to operating systems as well. Operating systems such as Windows and Mac OS X require you to have paid a certain fee in order to get and use their OS. So, by skirting the fee and torrenting it or pirating it by any other means, you are committing a crime. However, ISO's for Linux and friends are perfectly legal because they are free get and use.
centip3de

Post by thehackertoyou on Tue May 28, 2013 11:52 pm
([msg=75852]see Re: Virtual box[/msg])

ah, I see... ;)
thehackertoyou
New User
New User

Post by pertti123 on Wed May 29, 2013 12:07 pm
([msg=75853]see Re: Virtual box[/msg])

You can download 90 days trial version of Windows 8 Enterprise (maybe there are other versions too) from here. That should be legal. I haven't tried to download it. Seems like you need a live or some kind of Microsoft account for it.
pertti123
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Wed May 29, 2013 1:29 pm
([msg=75856]see Re: Virtual box[/msg])

centip3de wrote:
thehackertoyou wrote:Wait, if it's legal to download an ISO, than why not? Could you message/email it to me?

It is illegal to download or pirate anything,

Lol,. It's illegal to download ANYTHING.

Also, there are legal ISOs of Windows that Microsoft provides given you buy them. Linux ISOs are free and easy to attain via torrent or direct download. Just go to Ubuntu or whomever and grab one.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Next

Return to Mac