Have we effectively taught ourselves how to be antisocial?

Social engineering is the art of manipulating people into performing actions or divulging confidential information. While similar to a confidence trick or simple fraud, the term typically applies to trickery for information gathering or computer system access and in most cases the attacker never comes face-to-face with the victim.

Re: Have we effectively taught ourselves how to be antisocial?

Post by tgoe on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:17 pm
([msg=56355]see Re: Have we effectively taught ourselves how to be antisocial?[/msg])

Ok, I understand that. By "hacker" I didn't mean "the one who can break systems" type, but "the one who can build and tweak systems creatively" type of hackers. SE is purely a black hat skill. Yes, it takes some skill and even creativity to social engineer, but it still is what it is: immoral cheating. That's why I'm confused.

There is the The Art of War angle. "Know thine enemy".

i.e. "White Hats" should be interested in SE simply because it is a "Black Hat" tool.

Social engineering simply means to lie to other people, manipulate them and cheat them to do harm.

I disagree. The main goal of SE is to advantage oneself, not harm others.
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by sanddbox on Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:05 pm
([msg=56372]see Re: Have we effectively taught ourselves how to be antisocial?[/msg])

I partially agree with Neuromanta. While Social Engineering is a legitimate skill, many people use social engineering as a guise to pretend to be hackers without any actual technical knowledge. Then again, it usually works, so they must be good social engineers.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Goatboy on Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:27 pm
([msg=56376]see Re: Have we effectively taught ourselves how to be antisocial?[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:I partially agree with Neuromanta. While Social Engineering is a legitimate skill, many people use social engineering as a guise to pretend to be hackers without any actual technical knowledge. Then again, it usually works, so they must be good social engineers.

Yea, like if someone SE'd their way to a high position in a security forum but in reality was just REALLY good at bullshitting.

But srsly, SE is definitely not an inherently bad skill. You can use it to help people, usually called reverse psychology in this case. If someone is dead-set on fucking up some aspect of their life, you can SE the situation and get them to stop without realizing it. Usually though, it's to benefit the user. I recently found out that that to check in at the Rio for DefCon, you have to be 21. I'll be 20.8 by then. Using my quick wit and good looks, I was able to get the receptionist to tell me a work-around that didn't involve time travel or date-rape*.

* This didn't actually happen. I just needed to give a good example. I am, however, quick-witted and good-looking**.
** Depending on who you ask, this can have multiple truth values.***
*** INCEPTION
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Social Engineering