A philosophical thought about social engineering

Social engineering is the art of manipulating people into performing actions or divulging confidential information. While similar to a confidence trick or simple fraud, the term typically applies to trickery for information gathering or computer system access and in most cases the attacker never comes face-to-face with the victim.

A philosophical thought about social engineering

Post by Bl4ckPh0enix on Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:04 pm
([msg=76742]see A philosophical thought about social engineering[/msg])

social engineering is an invention that stepped on the timidity of modern hackers. It can, of course, practice our minds. But there are different ways much more succesful that should be connected directly with hacking. The more material 'hacking' ... Wouldn't it be better if we all could have immediate and direct access to our favorite PCs?

Its against my values to 'robotise' someone in order to do something. I prefer to get what i want straight by myself.
[a few words, hope i was understandable. Im sorry for my english]

I would like to discuss on this though
Bl4ckPh0enix
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: A philosophical thought about social engineering

Post by Liajohnson123 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:50 am
([msg=77739]see Re: A philosophical thought about social engineering[/msg])

Social engineering is an aspect a lot of people can't grasp. Social engineering is a whole different area, and there is many forums devoted to social-engineering for an actual monetary gain. Seeing as I have a large background on the topic, I'd like to say that it would ALWAYS be my first option to social-engineer a piece of information from someone. If I want something, and I have to step on someone to do it, so-be-it I shouldn't have a problem with it as long as it's some-what ethical, or doesn't piss anybody off in some severe way.
Liajohnson123
New User
New User

Post by Kataclysmic on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:12 am
([msg=77740]see Re: A philosophical thought about social engineering[/msg])

Social Engineering isn't really anything new. Its a name given to what humans already have done for a millennium...manipulate people. Everyone would like to have something their way so they twist words and say things they know someone would like to hear. That's all it is. Using your words to manipulate people. Something you may do everyday without even realizing it. However to be successful at it you need to understand it on a deeper level.
http://lawofcode.com
What will you learn?
Kataclysmic
New User
New User

Post by Liajohnson123 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:37 pm
([msg=77744]see Re: A philosophical thought about social engineering[/msg])

^^ Exactly what he said. There's a difference between manipulating a person without knowing you can get anything from them, but you're just doing it to get out of trouble or something, rather than manipulating them to get someone else in trouble on purpose to get everything off you. It's a really daunting method of getting information, but it's not for everybody. That one kid who sits in the back of the room who doesn't talk to anybody? Probably wont be successful. That one kid who's friends with everybody, has the power to be successful. It's all about getting on a personal level with the person, by gaining rapport, making safe-spots, general chit-chat, etc.
Liajohnson123
New User
New User

Return to Social Engineering