Limdis' Doxing Mission --CHALLENGE DOWN--

This is the place for ALL of the user submitted challenges. If you create a little challenge/mission/riddle/whatever, post it here.
Forum rules
Do not post missions that you did NOT create without proper citing.

Re: Limdis' Doxing Mission

Post by fashizzlepop on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:45 pm
([msg=71668]see Re: Limdis' Doxing Mission[/msg])

DAMN that was tricky. :/ Great mission though. I was hoping it was going to be a bit more straightforward. A lot of things tricked me up big time.

My Top 10 Doxing Tips to Remember:

1. Write down your notes. Open a document or text file and save all info you have on the subject as you go. This way you don't have to keep a bunch of browser tabs open and lose track of stuff if they are closed accidentally.

2. Check as many sites as possible for a related user name/email address. (Some sites specialize in searching other sites for username availability. Find one or make a script to do this yourself!)

3. Don't assume every username used by the target will be identical. Make sure you don't accidentally transpose any numbers or letters (or misread a username, double check everything!)

4. Permutations for password guessing are tricky. When dealing with dates, make sure you create a comprehensive list of all possible permutations. Ie.

October 3, 2009
Oct 3, 2009
Oct 3 2009
Oct32009
October 3 2009
October32009
10/3/2009
10-3-2009
10/3/09
10-3-09
3/10/2009
3/10/09
3-10-2009
3-10-09

Note: There are more possibilities that were strategically left out to prevent spoilers.

5. Many sites will hide information that is older than X days or months. Don't forget to search through these older posts!

6. There are many possible "red herrings" when doxing so make sure you have a reason to follow a lead that doesn't match exactly what you know already. Compare language use and other information from various accounts to compare to make sure you don't follow the wrong trail. (It is worth noting in the case of this mission that if you come across and accounts that are really in depth and have a LOT of posts/interactions/friends/etc. it's probably the wrong trail. The accounts related to this mission are all really bare.)

7. Sometimes someone will post something to a site that contains information of another account they own. Ie. posting images on twitter that link back to their photobucket.

8. When dealing with web pages or emails (produced by the target), make sure you check all the information given. Check the source of the page, check headers, check email information, and for God's sake, make sure you read the WHOLE god damn document!

9. Make sure you cover your tracks and protect yourself. Use proxies/tor when snooping and make sure to create anonymous email addresses. (In the case of this mission it's less important, but still a good idea.)

10. Do not alter data! If you have access to information of the target's, make sure you leave it as it is. Changing information will set off alarms and you do not want this to happen. Ie. Don't send "forgot password" request emails. This will alarm the target and you could lose your trail.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by limdis on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:09 pm
([msg=74526]see Re: Limdis' Doxing Mission[/msg])

Looks like there was an issue again that I just discovered. Working on a fix. Sorry about the inconvenience, this is actually a very tricky challenge to maintain. Some of you will want to check your emails. Handling things manually until fixed.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by yesthisissmurf on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:17 pm
([msg=74917]see Re: Limdis' Doxing Mission[/msg])

Alrighty... being the noob I am, I've fallen at the first hurdle. Can I get a push in the right direction, will I need to PM someone for that?
yesthisissmurf
New User
New User

Post by limdis on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:19 pm
([msg=74918]see Re: Limdis' Doxing Mission[/msg])

Sure you can PM me. But you'll have to make another post first (pm is locked until 2 posts are made). I'm also in #coffeesh0p right now if you are on IRC.
limdis

Post by DarkDexter on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:20 am
([msg=76479]see Re: Limdis' Doxing Mission[/msg])

I found this mission to be in depth and it really opens your eyes to the vast amount of data that can be located on a single person via the internet by being lax with your information. Since participating in this, I have tried to cover my tracks and make it harder to be doxed myself. At present, I am awaiting an auto-response from an account, this hasn't happened yet? I don't want to give too much away for others so could someone PM me or let me know if I am going in the right direction? I'm guessing that maybe Limdis sends these emails himself, is this the case?

Limdis, can you push me through? j**********23@gmail.com. Thanks man.
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning."
-Albert Einstein
DarkDexter
New User
New User

Post by limdis on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:23 am
([msg=76489]see Re: Limdis' Doxing Mission[/msg])

@darkdexter

Thanks for checking the mission out. I've been out of town for personal reasons, but Ill push this through as soon as I get back. When the mission first went up I didn't have any problems but due to the "nature" of the account its been banned now 3 times. I'm still working out the issue unfortunately...

Give me a couple of days to get back and check your email. You'll find the link to the last portion of the challenge.
limdis

Post by DarkDexter on Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:38 am
([msg=76495]see Re: Limdis' Doxing Mission[/msg])

No worries, Limdis.

I have been in #coffeesh0p and mShred give me the heads up that you were out of town so thought I'd put a quick post on here for when you got back.

I hope you've got everything sorted bro and I look forward to speaking some more when you return.
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning."
-Albert Einstein
DarkDexter
New User
New User

Re: Limdis' Doxing Mission --CHALLENGE DOWN--

Post by limdis on Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:31 pm
([msg=76509]see Re: Limdis' Doxing Mission --CHALLENGE DOWN--[/msg])

I go on a small vacation and things decide to break.

Ok so the last portion of the challenge has been destroyed due to the particular website being taken down. That means the mission is down until further notice... Sucks I know. But I'm going to have to create new content and change links in order to get this back up.
limdis

Post by hellow533 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:49 pm
([msg=76514]see Re: Limdis' Doxing Mission --CHALLENGE DOWN--[/msg])

That's unfortunate Limdis, if I could Dox I would have given it a shot.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by -Ninjex- on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:21 am
([msg=76523]see Re: Limdis' Doxing Mission --CHALLENGE DOWN--[/msg])

limdis wrote:But I'm going to have to create new content and change links in order to get this back up.

Yeah, that sucks. If you need any help, and you want, I am almost always free, just hit me up.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
^(-.^)>
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

PreviousNext

Return to User Submitted