Python project ideas

For the discussion of Perl, Python, Ruby, and PHP and other interpreted languages.

Python project ideas

Post by eggscrambler on Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:32 am
([msg=63901]see Python project ideas[/msg])

I just want to know if any one has an idea of what would be a nice project for someone who has python as their first and only language. I know iteration classes generators defining functions mapping lambda and the basics of the os and sys module as well as some others. Any actual possible ideas would be nice. Thanks
eggscrambler
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Python project ideas

Post by Defience on Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:21 pm
([msg=63921]see Re: Python project ideas[/msg])

This probably isn't what you want to do as a project but maybe it will give you some ideas.....I wrote a report writing system for work with tkinter and a SQL database. It opens with a login box for username and password. It then has another pop up box so you can navigate to search, enter data, change password, etc..All info is stored in SQL and can be pulled up in various ways, depending on what you're searching for. It was interesting combining python with SQL.
You could also check at http://www.freelancer.com/jobs/Python/ to get ideas from people looking to pay freelancers for python work.
This forum: http://www.daniweb.com/software-development/python/threads/32007 has a lot of suggestions.
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by tgoe on Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:22 pm
([msg=63926]see Re: Python project ideas[/msg])

Maybe continue with whatever you were doing in this thread: http://forums.hackthissite.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8256

Notice the brony.js attack was real. If you didn't see the flashing colors and pony dance instructions, your browser may have filtered the simple XSS for you (or maybe it was 'blocked' by UMG, lol). Check the source: ctrl-u

A simple way to neuter malicious I/O is to whitelist at the char level. Something like this in Python:

Code: Select all
import string

def clean(user_input, allow=string.ascii_letters):
    return "".join(c for c in user_input if c in allow)
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by limdis on Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:33 pm
([msg=63986]see Re: Python project ideas[/msg])

tgoe wrote:Notice the brony.js attack was real.

I was going to ask in the other thread but felt it would be a bit off topic to his site being pentested. What is a brony attack? All I am finding are crazy ponies. I feel like Im getting trolled harder the longer I try to figure it out lol. Please explain what the attack is lol :?
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by tucak on Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:49 pm
([msg=64019]see Re: Python project ideas[/msg])

limdis wrote:
tgoe wrote:Notice the brony.js attack was real.

I was going to ask in the other thread but felt it would be a bit off topic to his site being pentested. What is a brony attack? All I am finding are crazy ponies. I feel like Im getting trolled harder the longer I try to figure it out lol. Please explain what the attack is lol :?

It's just a simple XSS with brony payload.
tucak
New User
New User

Post by CheezHacker on Mon May 07, 2012 9:41 pm
([msg=66192]see Re: Python project ideas[/msg])

Try [url]projecteuler.net[/url] if you're in to math and/or problem solving. Problems range from 'That was hard-ish' to 'SHOOT ME'
CheezHacker
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Mon May 07, 2012 11:24 pm
([msg=66194]see Re: Python project ideas[/msg])

CheezHacker wrote:Try [url]projecteuler.net[/url] if you're in to math and/or problem solving. Problems range from 'That was hard-ish' to 'SHOOT ME'

Please check the date the last post was made, before continuing a thread. While this could benefit other users by the addition of new comments, this thread was not _meant_ for that purpose.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Return to Interpreted Languages