Python or Ruby?

For the discussion of Perl, Python, Ruby, and PHP and other interpreted languages.

Python or Ruby?

Post by Schiz0id on Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:52 am
([msg=26181]see Python or Ruby?[/msg])

I've been practicing Python for about a week or so, for about two hours every day. I recently became interested in Ruby. Is this also a good language for a beginner? I have a great book on it, but I think it would be smart to choose one to start with. Which one would you recommend?
Schiz0id
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Python or Ruby?

Post by insomaniacal on Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:15 pm
([msg=26187]see Re: Python or Ruby?[/msg])

Python is simple to use, and also very powerful, it's also more widely used that Ruby is, so I'd stick with Python, then, if you feel you need to make use of Ruby's features (No clue if there are any that really make it stand out or not), re-learning a bit of syntax shouldn't be too difficult.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by Defience on Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:37 pm
([msg=26194]see Re: Python or Ruby?[/msg])

I use Python and love it so I'm going to be a little biased, and because of that I've had no reason to even look into Ruby. When I first started with programming I was using C/C++ but later on stumbled across Python and made the switch. I'd say that if Ruby grabs your interest more than Python does, make the switch but if you decide to stick with Python, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by Schiz0id on Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:10 pm
([msg=26272]see Re: Python or Ruby?[/msg])

Thank you for your replies, I'll go ahead and stick with python. My goal is to learn Python then move to C later on.
Schiz0id
New User
New User

Return to Interpreted Languages