Learning Perl

For the discussion of Perl, Python, Ruby, and PHP and other interpreted languages.

Learning Perl

Post by YayPython on Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:31 am
([msg=21551]see Learning Perl[/msg])

Hey guys, I started learning Perl from Robert's Perl Tutorial. After I read this, I'm probably going to buy a book on it.

Do you guys have any suggestions?
YayPython
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Learning Perl

Post by eljonto on Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:49 am
([msg=21567]see Re: Learning Perl[/msg])

i have used perl for about 3 years now and have never needed a book on it, i usually just google for the tutorials i need and get plenty of information on them- i would only ever get a book about perl if it covered a complex area in good detail providing all the necessary info. That said- i think getting books is a good idea, having all the correct information in a good style all in the one place- so maybe try the O'reilly site? i have seen perl books on there covering quite a few things.

Perl is a great language and becasue of it's high-levelness allow you to do very powerful things in no time at all- just don't rely solely on it as a langauge! Good luck!
-Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?, Juvenal
Poster

Post by YayPython on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:58 am
([msg=21571]see Re: Learning Perl[/msg])

eljonto wrote:i have used perl for about 3 years now and have never needed a book on it, i usually just google for the tutorials i need and get plenty of information on them- i would only ever get a book about perl if it covered a complex area in good detail providing all the necessary info. That said- i think getting books is a good idea, having all the correct information in a good style all in the one place- so maybe try the O'reilly site? i have seen perl books on there covering quite a few things.

Perl is a great language and becasue of it's high-levelness allow you to do very powerful things in no time at all- just don't rely solely on it as a langauge! Good luck!

Thanks, it's a great idea! I was thinking of getting The Camel Book form O'reilly.

Oh, and it's not my sole language...hehe. I started Python (Putting that on break), working on C++, I know JS, HTML (not really programming, but hey.), CSS, ActionScript 1/2, and some PHP.
YayPython
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by eljonto on Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:10 pm
([msg=21582]see Re: Learning Perl[/msg])

sweet,
YayPython wrote:I started Python (Putting that on break)

The one thing that i don't like about python is that if you're not in an IDE you have to be a tab / space NAZI because of how it relies on identation rather than braces :D
-Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?, Juvenal
Poster

Post by YayPython on Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:29 pm
([msg=21720]see Re: Learning Perl[/msg])

eljonto wrote:sweet,
YayPython wrote:I started Python (Putting that on break)

The one thing that i don't like about python is that if you're not in an IDE you have to be a tab / space NAZI because of how it relies on identation rather than braces :D

I KNOW. I wish they would allow braces. The tabs are pretty annoying. If Python was better, they would allow some choice...
YayPython
Experienced User
Experienced User

Return to Interpreted Languages