In Need of Help

In Need of Help

Post by nick_13690 on Sat May 12, 2012 6:13 pm
([msg=66293]see In Need of Help[/msg])

Hello, i am new to this site and new to programming in general. I have started to learn about c++ and only know the very basics of it. I'm finding trouble in really finding a project i cant dig in to and to learn more about the language. I just want some opinions on some programs I can start coding to learn the language better.
nick_13690
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: In Need of Help

Post by pretentious on Sat May 12, 2012 11:21 pm
([msg=66295]see Re: In Need of Help[/msg])

a common one is a temperature converter but i'd reccomend you just think of a problem that needs to be solved and try and impliament a program to solve it. Don't be afraid to experiment, you'll probably fail and develope an intuition about what the boundaries of the language are
Code: Select all
    #include <iostream>
    using namespace std;
    int main()
    {
        char i;
        int k;
        cout<<"enter shift: ";
        cin>>k;
    for(;;)
    {
        cin>>i;

i = ((int(i)+k-97)%26) +97;
        cout<<i;
    }
    return 0;
    }

In one of my uni classes, we were working on encryption and i had to decrypt a Ceasar cipher. Rather than thinking(not a hoby of mine when uni is involved) i decided to brute force it and kept this code in case i run into a similar problem again. There are a few logical errors which you will find if you play with it
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mShred on Sun May 13, 2012 1:23 am
([msg=66300]see Re: In Need of Help[/msg])

Well a lot of books that I've read usually offer ideas for projects and whatnots. CMS are usually good for languages that deal with that type of stuff. For C or C++, a basic text game or the like would do well.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by nick_13690 on Sun May 13, 2012 9:43 am
([msg=66304]see Re: In Need of Help[/msg])

Thanks for the good tips guys. I think I'm going to be going with the text based game for right now. If there is anyone else that has a good idea for a project I'm all ears.
nick_13690
New User
New User

Return to C and C++