Java or C++

Re: Java or C++

Post by faazshift on Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:40 am
([msg=30618]see Re: Java or C++[/msg])

Well, c++ is a low-level language, and as such requires a higher learning-curve. However it is more powerful than a lot of languages because, first, the benchmarks I have seen show it as faster than most languages (including java) and comparable with c, second, it allows for inline assembly declarations (really low level programming). It is probably more popular on hacking websites because kernels and lower level operating system functions are often built on it. Its definitely a good idea to learn many languages to be very successful with 'hacking'.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by thedotmaster on Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:01 am
([msg=30623]see Re: Java or C++[/msg])

C++ isn't a low level language, however it is lower than Java.
Personally I would go for C/C++ anytime because Java is proprietary. Also, Java is slow. (I will be raged at by Java enthusiasts now, saying that it's fast now - but no, compared to C/C++ it is slow as anything).
However, at the same time I code in Python which is slow too and there are advantages to a slow language, I appreciate that.
At the end of the day, it's your choice. They are both respected languages.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by eljonto on Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:35 pm
([msg=30631]see Re: Java or C++[/msg])

Another thing you may want to look at is that c++ is compiled whereas Java is interpreted (well, it's both, it's compiled into bytecode, THEN interpreted), which is why it's slower. It also raises the issue of WHAT you want to be programming and WHO you want to program it for. They weren't made for the same thing, so it's not fair to compare them to each other, so how about you just learn them both ;)
-Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?, Juvenal
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Previous

Return to C and C++