C++ Project (Looking for people)

Re: C++ Project (Looking for people)

Post by YayPython on Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:55 pm
([msg=22115]see Re: C++ Project (Looking for people)[/msg])

Looks like fun, but I don't use Visual Studio.
YayPython
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Discgolfj on Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:58 pm
([msg=22117]see Re: C++ Project (Looking for people)[/msg])

I too would potentially be interested... I'm in grad-school right now with extensive C/C++ knowledge especially in the OOP realm that was mentioned earlier.. If I could make a suggestion though, it's free (so I'm not trying to advertise!) and unlike VS 2008 the compiler is 100 % ANSI compliant. It's Bloodshed's Dev C++ and although it's not highly supportive of creating GUI's, it is in my mind the the easiest to install and use for all normal code writing. I mention it only because if your true goal is "learning," then I think it might be a better platform.. You can always go back and do the GUI in VS later and import all the other code files.. This approach could also give a better understanding and appreciation of the entire program building process, including not just the compilation, but linking processes as well... (thus why I strictly use linux for most normal code writing...)

Again, I am in no way trying to be condescending towards your goal, it is merely my humble suggestion.. to the other code writers out there, let me know if you agree or not..

-J

P.S. If you do decide to strictly use VS, beware of the differences between Microsofts "managed" code and normal "un-managed" code... If you want to be able to do most of your own memory allocation, use pointers, root level File I/O, etc., then you will definitely want to stick with unmanaged code... (and you'll learn a hell of a lot more in the long run!!!)
Discgolfj
New User
New User

Post by chrisx16x2008 on Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:51 pm
([msg=22119]see Re: C++ Project (Looking for people)[/msg])

I have been wanting to switch compilers even though I like Visual C++ alot. Although with bloodshed, I don't think its being supported anymore?
chrisx16x2008
New User
New User

Post by bird7727 on Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:20 pm
([msg=22129]see Re: C++ Project (Looking for people)[/msg])

Just a note: I will be unable to attend the IRC meeting on the 22, in school at then :(
bird7727
New User
New User

Post by YayPython on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:09 pm
([msg=22163]see Re: C++ Project (Looking for people)[/msg])

OP: Bloodshed Dev-C++ is still supported. Also, wxDev-C++ is supported too.
YayPython
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by mischief on Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:41 pm
([msg=22167]see Re: C++ Project (Looking for people)[/msg])

Dev-C++ is not actively developed and hasn't had a release in over 1500 days. :?
The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
--Buddha
mischief
Poster
Poster

Post by Discgolfj on Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:22 pm
([msg=22168]see Re: C++ Project (Looking for people)[/msg])

A quick note to those commenting on my Dev-C++ suggestion...

It is supported as previously mentioned, and also it is true it is not being actively developed at this point... Again, my point for suggesting it as a "base" platform to write code in is for the main reason that it requires a deeper understanding of how C/C++ works... and if (as the author of this thread mentioned) the true goal of this project would be to benefit all participating by learning fundamentals better, then I still suggest that it is a solid frame-work to base the potential project off of (GUI not included)... and let's all remember, just cause code can be written and compiled as a project in Dev-C++, does not mean that that is the final platform it will ultimately be compiled in!...

To the original author of the post.... You've stated wanting to use VS already... but if fundamentals are your main goal, then have you looked into using linux as your OS to work in?... I ask because there is much more to learn even from a "team" aspect in as far as managing changes, revisions, etc. in files.. if you are decently familiar in linux, start by looking at the man pages for the CVS method of managing project files for an entire team. It is not a hard command to learn and allows simultaneous AS WELL AS networked team management for applicable project files (and with all versions and changes documented for all team members to see!)... Again guys, I know to many of yall, this might seem like "antiquated approaches," but they do fully employ the necessity of really learning essentials of programming that many of us take for granted.

I, as always, appreciate any agreement or criticism.. It is only my opinion for what was originally described as ultimately pursuing a route that leads to learning and better understanding of what programmers really do...

-J
Discgolfj
New User
New User

Post by krakerjak on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:02 pm
([msg=22176]see Re: C++ Project (Looking for people)[/msg])

Maybe it would be a good idea to use sourceforge for managing the project
krakerjak
New User
New User

Post by YayPython on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:36 pm
([msg=22182]see Re: C++ Project (Looking for people)[/msg])

mischief wrote:Dev-C++ is not actively developed and hasn't had a release in over 1500 days. :?

Oh....wxDev-C++ FTW then.

And OP: I joined the forums, when id this IRC meeting? I might miss it.
YayPython
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by chrisx16x2008 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:48 pm
([msg=22259]see Re: C++ Project (Looking for people)[/msg])

ok i tried wxDevC++ and i have to say i am not impressed. it goes so slowwwwww
chrisx16x2008
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to C and C++