Is this possible?

Is this possible?

Post by omega260 on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:53 pm
([msg=20456]see Is this possible?[/msg])

So im learning c++ and c (C is harder so i like C++ lol yea im a noob) and ive been writing simple programs that do math and stuff like that. However I came up with a cool idea it may have been done before but i want to do it myself. Basically its an ICMP packet that acts like ping but sends an echo request to a server but makes the ip a nonexistent one so the server sends a reply to a non existant ip... now my theory is if u send enough of these it will crash a server (i do not intend to use it on a server other then my own computer) is that even possible? and is there a tutorial for programmin packets?
omega260
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Is this possible?

Post by bird7727 on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:28 am
([msg=20500]see Re: Is this possible?[/msg])

If you are a noob to programming (C++ or otherwise) I would suggest you learn more about programming in the language first. Other than that, I am sure that you could a packet to echo and return to a non-existent IP so many times the system fails (the basis of DOS (Denial Of Service) attacks). Also, I am not sure if you could run the attack against your own computer (a different computer you own is possible), but why the hell would you want to crash the computer you are running on? That would make things very hard to evaluate after you finished your attack.. And finally, there probably are many hundreds of tutorials on "packet programming" (is that even a correct term?). Just remember, Google is your friend.
bird7727
New User
New User

Post by omega260 on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:46 pm
([msg=20514]see Re: Is this possible?[/msg])

Lol yea i have more then one computer in my house and yea ill hit up google i just wanted to know if my idea was possible :P
omega260
New User
New User

Post by mischief on Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:27 pm
([msg=20524]see Re: Is this possible?[/msg])

did a little digging and came up with this function call from MSDN: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366051(VS.85).aspx

it appears to be exactly what you're looking for, including sample code.
The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
--Buddha
mischief
Poster
Poster

Post by YayPython on Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:21 am
([msg=21557]see Re: Is this possible?[/msg])

mischief wrote:did a little digging and came up with this function call from MSDN: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366051(VS.85).aspx

it appears to be exactly what you're looking for, including sample code.

MS would teach DoS-ing? Wtf.
YayPython
Experienced User
Experienced User

Return to C and C++